PDA

View Full Version : Simonenko talks to Johnny Weir: my coach was Pluschenko, who studied under Mishin

TAHbKA
03-13-2011, 11:29 AM
I learned from Pluschenko, my coach from Mishin (http://rian.ru/interview_sport/20110313/351104679.html)
If judged by the amount of toys and flowers on the ice the American Johnny Weir have always been one of the most popular skaters in Russia. The show celebrating Mishin's jubilee which took place on 8/3 was no exception: Johnny was warmly welcomed by the fans. Andrey Simonenko spoke to the skater:

AS: How important was it for you to participate Mishin's celebrations?
JW: Very. As you know, before I started taking the skating seriously and competing I saw Evgeny Pluschenko on the TV. I thought his skating was unreal. The thougth `he's just a couple of years older than me, yet he participates the Grand Prix' crossed my mind in 1997. Pluschenko, I will not be afraid to say the word, became my idol. My goal in figure skating was to skate like him. Of course I had other sources of inspiration as well. I have always admired the skating of the 1994 Olympic Champion Oxana Baul, I wanted to be an Olympic champion myself one day... But I started the pursuit after Pluschenko and 4 years later became a junior world champion. As for Mishin - I've always known that Evgeni's technique is thanks to Mishin, who is one of the best, if not the best coach in figure skating. Hence when I was invited to skate at the jubilee I simply couldn't say no.

AS: But you were unable to catch Pluschenko....
JW: He dominated the figure skating in the last 10 years. I'd even say he held the figure skating in his hands. I've always known - to beat Evgeny one would have to show something extraordinary, to jump above the head. And I realized that even then it will be almost impossible to beat Pluschenko. I was following him during the official trainings at the championships and was asking my American coach Hill to look at Mishin, remember what he says, what he shows. So I learned from Pluschenko while my coach - from Mishin. When I switched and started training under Galina Zmievskaya it can be said I was already a Russian school skater.

AS: Some of your colleagues, for example Lambiel, Van Den Perren - not only watched Mishin but also trained in his group, took lessons. Have you ever thought about doing that?
JW: I actually worked with Mishin once. I participated his summer camp when I was 13y.o. I remember how nervous and excited I was to show Alexey Nikolaevich all I can do. Of course I dreamed to become his full time student, but it was a dream not to come true. First of all I've always wanted to train in the USA and feel home. It's an important thing for me. Secondly am more comfortable working with female coaches. I feel a better connection, get more power and energy from them. But it doesnt' stop me from admiring Mishin and have a huge respect for him.

AS: What are your near future plans in figure skatin?
JW: The rest of this season I'm going to spend getting ready for the next. I need to get back to shape, or in other words, to loose weight. But it's not going to be easy - I participate lots of projects in the USA now and they are so interesting and important that I dont' want to miss a thing. But I will try to combine everything. I certainly don't want to forget how to skate - the participation in Sochi Olympics is my main goal at the moment.

AS: What projects ,if you can reveal?
JW: I'm promoting my song (`Dirty Love') - it was in the 1s place in Japan and 2nd in the USA. I wrote a book name `Welcome to my World' which was published in the USA. It's an autobiography. That's the second project. At the winter I took part in a TV show, I also have a part in a TV series which is in it's 2nd season now and, finally, I now participate a filming of a movie.

AS: That's quite alot! Do you have any time left for training?
JW: I do, but not much - 3 hours a week at the most. But I have an easier schedule for the summer and I hope to dedicate more time to it than I do now.

AS: If being realistic - do you think you'll be able to compete with the top skaters by the time of the Sochi Olympics?
JW: Am certain! I only started skating when I was 12. It is considered too late for a sport career. The others start skating at the age of 3-4. But thanks to such a late start my body is still young. By the time of the Sochi Olympics I'll be 29y.o., but I will feel much younger.

AS: What do you think of the contemporary men figure skating?
JW: I really like the young Japanese skater Hanuy (the junior world champion of 2010). I designed his costums for this season. I think he is a brilliant skater and will only become better. But I'm cheering for Takahashi and Joubert. I become older myself and feel I should support the older skaters (laughs). I'm worried about the near future of the USA skating - our current champion (Ryan Bradley) have never been above the 15th place at the worlds and, frankly, I can't see him fighting for a medal this year. The two other participants are still juniors (Dornbush and Miner), so if we manage to get two spots for the 2012 worlds it will be a miracle.

AS: I know you once named Adam Rippon as the follower of your stile....
JW: It's just that the fans always try to find `next someone' in every generation. The same way many consider Gachinski `the next Pluschenko' because they style is similar. So indeed I can name Adam Rippon as the `next Johnny Weir' - of all the skaters of the next generation his style is the closest to mine.

AS: Were you following the world juniors championship?
JW: Of course! Especially Adelrina Sotnikova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. you must know I'm a very good friend of Ksenia Makarova. So I must follow the next generation of the skaters to help Ksenia to get ready and compete with them. I have to admit I'm amazed by the level of the best junior female skaters in Russia.

barbk
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the translation, TAHbKA. That was an interesting interview.

3 hours a week of ice training doesn't sound enough; I hope that if he's really intent on making it back that he cranks it way up this summer.

Buzz
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks TAHbKA for the translation. :)

LadyNit
03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
TAHbKA, your translations are very much appreciated. In this case, we have the actual interview, in ENGLISH, provided on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5we8p8S9Ehw). This is being discussed in another thread in the Trash Can. Over here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77947&).

IceAlisa
03-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the video. I can report that it appears to me Johnny has had some work done on his face: a bit of Botox between the eyebrows and perhaps some Latisse on his eyelashes. Perhaps fillers in the cheeks but I can't really tell unless I see his face at rest.

judiz
03-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the video. I can report that it appears to me Johnny has had some work done on his face: a bit of Botox between the eyebrows and perhaps some Latisse on his eyelashes. Perhaps fillers in the cheeks but I can't really tell unless I see his face at rest.

His face appears fuller because Johnny has gained weight since he stopped training, he really looks healthy now. I think the eyelashes are just the type of mascara he applied that day.

Justathoughtabl
03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
It's pure speculation to say he had botox. He's young, plus he often wears makeup to cover blemishes. That includes mascara on his naturally long lashes.

judiz
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
It's pure speculation to say he had botox. He's young, plus he often wears makeup to cover blemishes. That includes mascara on his naturally long lashes.

Plus, isn't Botox applied by injection? Johnny is terrified of needles and I find it doubtful he would allow someone to stick a needle there.

tangerine_dream
03-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't "it appears to me" suggest that it is in fact "pure speculation"? Not sure why it needed to be restated by other posters when the poster who claimed this never tried to pass it off as fact.

misskarne
03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Um, to say he's had work done is really quite rude, actually.

Johnny has lovely flawless skin. Maybe he overused the makeup on this particular day, not sure.

Also, agreeing with someone else upthread - he's actually a healthy weight now, of course his cheeks have filled out a little.

And the guy has AMAZING natural eyelashes. If he put mascara on - phew!