PDA

View Full Version : Should Worlds go on as planned?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

neptune
03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
What do you think the ISU should do? I think they should delay Worlds a few weeks and hold it in another country, and let Tokyo have the event again in the somewhat near future. Regardless, they do need to wait at least a couple of days before figuring out what to do.

blue_idealist
03-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Well, I hope it's not cancelled.

If things actually are ok in Tokyo, I hope it proceeds as planned. As others have mentioned in the GSD thread, the money from it can be used to help the relief efforts.

If things aren't ok, I think they should either postpone it for a month or so or try to move it somewhere else. I think the first is probably the best option - less headache and financial loss, I think.

I just don't want it to be cancelled because there are some skaters who came back for a last shot at Worlds, like Sawyer and Bradley, and they'll miss their chance. I don't see why a solution can't be worked out.

That being said, the ISU should wait a few days to make an official announcement, which it seems like they are doing (although they were a bit hasty in making a tentative announcement today, they never said that was final and they said they would continue to monitor the situation).

tapper88
03-12-2011, 04:54 AM
As long as it's safe, and there are no aftershocks or anything, I think it should go on as planned. Only if it's safe though.

LuckyCharm
03-12-2011, 05:05 AM
I agree that if it's safe and there are no major issues with travel I hope that things go on as planned. If for some reason it's not possible, I hope that they will move it to a new venue, in which case some delay would probably be necessary. They should make the decision as soon as they have enough information to do so and I have no idea when that would be. If they don't have enough info to be sure in the next few days then they should probably go ahead and plan on moving (or delaying) it so that the skaters and others involved have time to change their travel plans.

neptune
03-12-2011, 05:08 AM
As long as it's safe, and there are no aftershocks or anything, I think it should go on as planned. Only if it's safe though.

The thing is, there's really no way to know that for sure. If Worlds were a month or so away, then it would be easier to assess the safety factors.

AxelAnnie
03-12-2011, 05:08 AM
I think it should be canceled. Japan is in total chaos. I think it is unfair to the Japanese skaters.........their lives, families, friends, training facilities have all been touched by this. They have to be losing training time.............as well they should. Some people can't even find their families. It is a horrid tragedy, and should be acknowledged as such. Even if Japanese travel, accommodations, and communications can be pulled together.....who can I still think it gives the Japanese skaters a disadvantage.

blue_idealist
03-12-2011, 05:11 AM
I think it should be canceled. Japan is in total chaos. I think it is unfair to the Japanese skaters.........their lives, families, friends, training facilities have all been touched by this. They have to be losing training time.............as well they should. Some people can't even find their families. It is a horrid tragedy, and should be acknowledged as such. Even if Japanese travel, accommodations, and communications can be pulled together.....who can I still think it gives the Japanese skaters a disadvantage.

Other sporting events have gone on, I'm sure, with one country at a disadvantage. Also, no one HAS to attend even if it goes on.

julieann
03-12-2011, 05:14 AM

I think the disadvantage is to the skaters who have to fly in and aren't sure if they are able to in the next week. Not the skaters who already live there, at least they could still compete.

victoriaheidi
03-12-2011, 05:28 AM
I have the view that Worlds should be moved-date and location-wise. I don't think it's such a crazy thought.

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then. Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I think the most important thing in this case is Japan's safety. If it's not going to benefit the people of Japan, it's not worth having. If it's just going to create hassle, it's not worth having. If it's a welcome treat and a chance for everyone to relax, it's worth having.

Either way, though, I think the best thing is a new location and a new date.

FrouFrou
03-12-2011, 05:51 AM
I have the view that Worlds should be moved-date and location-wise. I don't think it's such a crazy thought.

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then. Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I think the most important thing in this case is Japan's safety. If it's not going to benefit the people of Japan, it's not worth having. If it's just going to create hassle, it's not worth having. If it's a welcome treat and a chance for everyone to relax, it's worth having.

Either way, though, I think the best thing is a new location and a new date.

That's a really good idea.

RumbleFish
03-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then.

I agree with this opinion.

Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I don't agree with this one. Shouldn't it be individual skaters' decision what to do with their hard earned prize money? Of course it would be wonderful for earthquake victims and the sport if skaters generously donate portion of their earnings.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I think it's up to Japan to decide.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Sigh.

RumbleFish
03-12-2011, 11:34 AM
What about other sporting events?
I think observing what others are doing could serve as a reference. What are they doing with their upcoming baseball, football, and golf tournament schedules?

gingercrush
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Of course it should go ahead. The worse thing to do when an act of god happens is to be paralysed by that event. Tokyo's infrastructure is fine, there is little damage and the risk of earthquakes is always there in Japan. Does that mean they should stop hosting events simply because there are risks?

If that is what happens then all events everywhere in the world should not be held because everywhere is a potential danger.

I can't speak for the Japanese but the 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch that my city experienced has paralysed this city to such an extent that life isn't returning back to normal. Instead of getting on with life the situation here is in my opinion paralysing this city where we're not living. Instead, by not returning to normality people are only getting more stressed out and more vulnerable.