PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

BittyBug
10-06-2012, 05:21 AM
He does have amazing eyelashes, assuming they are real. :shuffle:They're real all right. Years ago, a lot of people used to assume Johnny wore mascara even though he didn't because his eyelashes are so ample. Of course, now he actually does wear mascara on ocasion, but the eyelashes underneath it are all his.

aftershocks
10-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes, he's got beautiful eyelashes and gorgeous green eyes. Nice to see Johnny out on the ice competing again!

Sylvia
10-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Johnny's Finlandia FS (5th, 4th overall): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIELts2lHsU

Post-FS interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_NGmShYUw

judiz
10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Post-FS interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_NGmShYUw

the interview is marked private.:confused:

IceAlisa
10-07-2012, 08:03 PM
They're real all right. Years ago, a lot of people used to assume Johnny wore mascara even though he didn't because his eyelashes are so ample. Of course, now he actually does wear mascara on ocasion, but the eyelashes underneath it are all his.

Nice!

BittyBug
10-08-2012, 01:36 AM
the interview is marked private.:confused:I have no problem seeing the video. :confused:

falling_dance
10-08-2012, 01:39 AM
I have no problem seeing the video. :confused:

I got the same message when I clicked on the link without having signed in first. Maybe that's what happened in judiz' case.

judiz
10-08-2012, 02:13 AM
The link just worked for me, turns out I had seen this interview already thanks to Sarah and Drew's twitter

antmanb
10-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't caught up watching the FS yet, but I watched the SP over the weekend and thought he looked really good. Enormous props for trying the quad in both programmes. It could have been easier to play safe and not try it, and I think it's great he went for it (apparently getting a better attempt in the FS).

I love the costume for the SP, and thought he really came alive when the music went up a notch. Not sure I like the slower/piano opening in the music as much as once the original music kicks in but I guess it give him the opportunity to create a contrast in the SP.

Should be an interesting season, well done Johnny.

Wiery
10-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Wow, I loved his free skate!!!! For those of you who are more COP-knowledgeable than I; how do the short and free programs look in regards to maximizing points within the COP system? I have heard criticism in the past that Johnny could and should make his programs more COP-friendly, and of course would love to hear that he's improved in this area (if that is indeed the case and he needed to improve).

He looked beautiful and happy, and some of the moments in this program were gasp-inducing in their beauty.

It's really, really good to have him back. Figure skating as art and sport benefits from his presence, IMO. And, I have new appreciation for his spins, esp. the one-legged, bent over his leg spin; I do something like that in my workouts, and it's not easy (and I'm not spinning, lol!). Well done!

SkateFan66
10-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Wow, I loved his free skate!!!! For those of you who are more COP-knowledgeable than I; how do the short and free programs look in regards to maximizing points within the COP system? I have heard criticism in the past that Johnny could and should make his programs more COP-friendly, and of course would love to hear that he's improved in this area (if that is indeed the case and he needed to improve).

He looked beautiful and happy, and some of the moments in this program were gasp-inducing in their beauty.

It's really, really good to have him back. Figure skating as art and sport benefits from his presence, IMO. And, I have new appreciation for his spins, esp. the one-legged, bent over his leg spin; I do something like that in my workouts, and it's not easy (and I'm not spinning, lol!). Well done!

In terms of COP, the base value of the elements that Johnny performed, in both the SP and FS, were below the minimum TES required for the World Championships. He did not get enough +GOE to bump him up to meet the World Championship TES minimum. (TES minimums for WC are SP: 35,FS: 65). The level one step sequence and too many double jumps hurt his base value.

judiz
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
If Johnny skates his program without any mistakes, what kind of base value do his programs have?

BittyBug
10-09-2012, 04:46 AM
It's hard to say because we don't know what levels for spins and steps his program as choreographed is targeting, but we can look at what he skated and guess.

Finlandia - Element / Base Value
4T < / 7.2
3A / 8.5
3F e / 5.3
StSq1 / 1.8
FCSp4 / 3.2
2Lo x / 1.98
3A-2T x / 10.78
2Lz x / 2.31
3Lz<-2T x / 6.05
3S x / 4.62
CSSp1 / 1.9
ChSq1 / 2.0
CCoSp4 / 3.5
Total BV = 59.14

If he optimizes this program, it could be:
4T / 10.3
3A / 8.5
3F / 5.3
StSq3 / 3.3
FCSp4 / 3.2
3Lo x / 5.61
3A-2T x / 10.78
3Lz x / 6.60
3Lz-3T-2T x / 12.54
3S x / 4.62
CSSp3 / 2.6
ChSq1 / 2.0
CCoSp4 / 3.5
Total BV = 78.85

There are obviously a lot of "ifs" there, and Johnny will always get an 'e' on his flip, so he'll always get a -3 GOE on that element which will hurt his total score, but in terms of base value, the program is not horrible by any means - it will all depend on how he skates it (which is obviously true for everyone else as well). Hanyu (with a pop) and Dornbush had 81+ and 85+ in BV by comparison, so just comparing to those two (nevermind all the other big guns), Johnny will need to execute flawlessly to be competitive. But that's always been the case with him.

judiz
10-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks BittyBug, I think it's safe to assume the steps and spins were suppose to be level 3 or 4 because no on would deliberately choreograph level one anything for a skater at Johnny's level. Johnny had gotten level 3 or 4 on his steps and spins previously so I would like to think it was an abnormality that he did not do those levels in Finland. We know he is capable of doing them and I have to wonder if the fact he was skating in boots that were less than a month old made a difference or not.

antmanb
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I've just watched the LP, and again I'm impressed - very close on the quad.

I really liked the music too.

Looking at his step sequence, he did appear to do rockers, twizzles, loops and brackets, as well as three turns and mohawks. I wasn't looking specifically for how they were combined and if they checked off the levels, but when i looked at the rules and saw this:

Distribution - Turns and/or steps must be distributed throughout the sequence. There should be no long sections without turns or steps. If this requirement is not fulfilled the level cannot be higher than 1.

And he did seem to pause for a while simply gliding without doing turns or steps and I wonder if they hit him with this?

Looking at the Sit Spin for levels I think Johnny was going for levels on:

- backward entry;
- difficult variation;
- Jumped change of foot;
- difficult variation.

I think he only got credit for the backward entry. I think the spin was in danger of being short on rotation on both feet - he only managed about 5 turns with his butt low enough to count on the back part, and the front part was just about 6 revs.

I think he needs to rethink the position he hits in the first spin (and make sure it is different enough to the one in the combination spin that follows to make sure he still gets credit for the position in the combination spin).

The jumped change of foot needs to be bigger to count as it seemed more stepped, than jumped. Though the rules seem to suggest that you have to be in a basic position and jump into another basic position, and I wonder if the forward sit with the leg behind is seen as a basic position or a non-basic position? I can't see why the forward sit wasn't called a difficult variation?

In any event - I think the spin can be easily worked up to level 3 or 4 without too much trouble.