PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Jenna
04-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Johnny is learning to play the game, finally. ;)

"Go Team USA" in his tweet about WTT.

aftershocks
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Posting here a Johnny-related discussion that became too off-topic in the Davis & White "love them" thread:

For those who haven't seen it, on the Icenetwork.com video page, there is a link to the Ice Desk interview at 2012 Nats with Meryl & Charlie, and with Ashley Wagner. Johnny and Peter C doing the interviewing/ suggestive by-play :eek: Wow, kinda embarrassing, mostly for Peter! As ever, classy Meryl & Charlie, and classy Ashley (all 3 were probably wondering, WTF Peter???). Johnny was cool, funny, and fierce -- he held his own against Peter's not so humorous mock aggressiveness.

:) at Johnny asking Meryl & Charlie to bring back their Bollywood program. :cheer:

I went and watched the interview. If Peter wanted to act that way when the cameras were off, no big deal--but it was somewhat unprofessional to do so in a videotaped interview. That goes for Johnny too, but he's a lot younger so I'd expect less from him. Meryl & Charlie and Ashley both gave good interviews. I'm definitely glad I don't have to be subjected to such interviews. ;)

Yes, but I think the behavior was mostly generated by Peter. And definitely, as Johnny relates in his book, he's not going to back down from any kind of teasing, especially not from an uncomfortable heterosexual male. (As JWe also once said, he's dealt with a lot worse teasing/ bullying in locker rooms). Maybe Peter is just nervous that Johnny could take his job. ;) JWe's certainly a more talented fs commentator than Peter, IMO. In any case, Johnny is planning a skating comeback for now, so Peter could have acted a lot less threatened, or maybe he just couldn't help himself when sitting that close to the diva-licious and charismatic Johnny Weir! :D

I do love that Johnny kept his composure, altho' he seemed to be blushing a few times and staring Peter down (w/ a modified Fusar-Poli death glare). Again, Ashley, Meryl & Charlie were all so sweet and classy, trying to help keep the interviews on track. I suppose that by now, most U.S. figure skaters are used to dealing with Peter's clueless antics. :rolleyes: I wonder what the figure skating fans standing around watching (in the hallway at the U.S. Nats event) were thinking?

aftershocks
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Responding below to neptune's response to my above post in D/W thread:

I would agree with that. If Peter had "behaved," I believe Johnny would have too.

I don't know if "uncomfortable" is the right description there. I just think Peter gets too worked up and intense sometimes (as many of us do)--and kinda lets it all hang out. Well, his stomach certainly was. :lol:

:lol: You make good points/ observations too.

Maybe Peter is just nervous that Johnny could take his job.

There you go. :)

Peter is certainly good at covering pairs nowadays. I haven't really heard any of Johnny's commentating.

Yes, I think Peter does a fairly good job with pairs commentating, offering some good insights on occasion, especially when he manages to "ratchet down" his intensity. :)

You missed Johnny's recent commentating? Johnny did an absolutely great job in his commentary for IceNetwork.com at 2012 U.S. National Championships for the senior Men's sp and the latter groups in the senior Men's fp. Among other memorable quips and insights, Johnny referred to Keegan Messing after his sp, as being "fearless like a Honey Badger." What an apt description! It was then picked up and used by NBC commentators during the fp television broadcast. And, now I think everyone who heard it and who is a fan of Keegan will always fondly associate that term with Keegan's charisma and determination. Ironically, Johnny once said that he didn't like it when Dick Button praised his skating as being "gazelle-like." :lol: Seriously, Johnny was great in the broadcast booth! Johnny was so good in fact, that if he doesn't make the Sochi 2014 team, I'd love to see him doing commentary for the Men's fs event at the Olympics. Johnny could probably have a good career commentating for a variety of sports (ones that he likes, such as figure skating, gymnastics, and horseback riding :D) It is after all, his horseback riding career in his early youth that gave Johnny his great posture as a figure skater.

Johnny's wonderful commentary at Nationals for IceNetwork was discussed in a thread here on FSU:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82305

...or maybe [Peter] just couldn't help himself when sitting that close to the diva-licious and charismatic Johnny Weir! :D

:cool:

:lol:

...Peter's boss or whoever needs to take him aside and address this issue, I think. Something like: "Peter, we love your enthusiasm, but when you're on camera, you need to ratchet it down a notch. After all, this ain't your living room--or FSU." :D

:respec:

ProgramerUSFS
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
From Johnny's tweet

A great skating day. 3 Quads, one quad triple combination, a good start on my free program and a finished short.

I have been watching his tweets and this is very exciting. I said in another post about evan that I was very excited about this years men competition and the fact that Johnny is coming back with all his artistic capacities is icing on the cake. If he can pull off the quads along with his artistic side, its no wonder Chan is focusing on his artistic side. Johnny could be a factor. What do you all think?

Polymer Bob
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
If Johnny can lay down quads on competitive ice, he will be a formidable force.
How will all those conservative skating judges receive him? I have no idea.

ProgramerUSFS
04-30-2012, 12:00 AM

Couldn't agree more. I think with each year that goes by the conservative factor diminishes in figure skating. Just my opinion.

skateboy
04-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Among other memorable quips and insights, Johnny referred to Keegan Messing after his sp, as being "fearless like a Honey Badger." What an apt description! It was then picked up and used by NBC commentators during the fp television broadcast.

Maybe you all know this already, but I'm sure Johnny's "honey badger" quote came from this video, which went viral (and it's hilarious!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Bournekraatzfan
04-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Couldn't agree more. I think with each year that goes by the conservative factor diminishes in figure skating. Just my opinion.

I hope so...I am always worried that the judges just don't *get* Johnny, because he challenges dominant ideas about gender.

I have always loved his skating and am really excited about his comeback! His projection is awesome, he has such a natural connection to the music, and he just knows how to move. And his technique is gorgeous. I think he will definitely be a factor if he can gain consistency on his quads. And choreography will be really important when competing with Patrick, Dai, and Jeremy. I wish him all the best:)

and thanks for all the info and links, everyone!

spikydurian
04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I have always loved his skating and am really excited about his comeback! His projection is awesome, he has such a natural connection to the music, and he just knows how to move. And his technique is gorgeous. I think he will definitely be a factor if he can gain consistency on his quads. And choreography will be really important when competing with Patrick, Dai, and Jeremy. I wish him all the best.
Wow.. Sochi will be very exciting for the men especially if all the 'retired talented and gorgeous skaters' make a come back ... Johnny, Plushy and Evans (and Brian?). Don't forget young Hanyu and Gachinski. Wee .. way to go. :cheer:

jl22aries
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
BKF, when you have some time, I was wondering if you could share your take on Weir's scoring at the 2010 Games? You have such great insights into score breakdowns, and his placement at that comp was a little curious.

apatinar
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM

As artistic and a lovely skater that Johnny is , he has always had a problem with transitions. He needs the quad plus be able to skate a program to connect the jumps to get high enough PCS.

Polymer Bob
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Well, here is my ( il )logic. A force that can work against Johnny can also work for him. If Johnny would condescend to wear more …. um …. conservative costumes, his improved jump arsenal and superior artistry would make a big impression on the judges. Maybe he should try to work with the establishment rather than fight it.

manleywoman
04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't think costumes are an issue. lots of crazy outfits have been worn over the years by Oly medslists. I think he needs to work on the math: jump combos, transitions, etc.

ProgramerUSFS
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Wow.. Sochi will be very exciting for the men especially if all the 'retired talented and gorgeous skaters' make a come back ... Johnny, Plushy and Evans (and Brian?). Don't forget young Hanyu and Gachinski. Wee .. way to go. :cheer:

I was thinking the very same thing. :P

Katarzyna
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, here is my ( il )logic. A force that can work against Johnny can also work for him. If Johnny would condescend to wear more …. um …. conservative costumes, his improved jump arsenal and superior artistry would make a big impression on the judges. Maybe he should try to work with the establishment rather than fight it.
Oh no, I don’t want Johnny to become a skater making his way due to working with establishment. I love him for speaking out his mind. I remember reports from U.S. Nationals in one year when he wore a jacket with “Russia” written on it. Now that’s courage. I dislike people who are opportunistic and make their way by kissing someones A$$. :scream:
He is one of these skaters who made me a fan not only due to absolute gorgeous skating, but due to personality as well. I really missed him. :cheer:

Yes, it will be exciting: Olympics Game will be finally in Russia and if Johnny will indeed comeback then, it will be an U.S. skater I'll cheer for the most. :)