PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

FigureSpins
06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
I notice, though, that he didn't seem to correct the interviewer who called him a "seasoned Olympic medalist".
Weir doesn't handle interviews well at all. His alleged publicist should have addressed that weakness a long time ago. Most nervous people won't correct someone who addresses them by the wrong title simply because they're not listening.

Not making excuses for him, just pointing out the truth. I once had the mom of a student call me "professor" in passing. I didn't comment on it because we were talking about the damage her daughter caused to my car in an accident. She flipped out later when she found out I was "just" an adjunct. Like that invalidated the damage to the car's front end. Schmuck.

Titles really are meaningless. If it bothers you, ask the publisher to print a retraction.

Jenny
06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Titles really are meaningless. If it bothers you, ask the publisher to print a retraction.

And don't forget this little boo boo too!

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/about.htm :rofl:

Anyway, I just did a little checking and it appears this is little more than a fan blog by a guy who also has a similar one called Country Stars Central. It's legit, but certainly not of journalistic quality, and there's no evidence of reach at all. If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.

Justathoughtabl
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/about.htm :rofl:
Anyway, I just did a little checking and it appears this is little more than a fan blog by a guy who also has a similar one called Country Stars Central. It's legit, but certainly not of journalistic quality, and there's no evidence of reach at all. If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.

I still think that overall, the interview was no worse than one that might appear in a newspaper, though that says something about newspaper quality. Anyway, here are the interviews this blogger has snagged. Not A-List (except maybe Carol Channing--Costner is not exactly big-time anymore), but subjects include one Evan Lysacek.

Carol Channing Interview

Diana DeGarmo Interview

Evan Lysacek Interview

Johnny Weir Interview

Kevin Costner Interview

FigureSpins
06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.
Which goes back to his publicist, imo. Either he's too headstrong and "out there" to listen to her or she's not effective as a manager/publicist. I cringe whenever I see that Johnny's done an interview or been quoted. I know he doesn't know what to do or say and she doesn't act as a guide or buffer.

Justathoughtabl
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Which goes back to his publicist, imo. Either he's too headstrong and "out there" to listen to her or she's not effective as a manager/publicist. I cringe whenever I see that Johnny's done an interview or been quoted. I know he doesn't know what to do or say and she doesn't act as a guide or buffer.

Wait, what?
I think Johnny is one of the better interview subjects out there, at least in terms of athletes. So many of them give canned answers. It's the provocative ones-- the Charles Barkleys and Muhammad Alis--that are remembered. Johnny's quite articulate and funny as well.

FigureSpins
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I disagree with his being one of the better interview subjects. He puts his foot in his mouth regularly and comes across as unprepared. His on-camera confrontation with Peter Caruthers (who's a terrible interviewer, imo) made me realize that Johnny does not do interviews well, especially with someone who isn't a supporter of his. In situations like that, canned responses are better than outbursts and failed diversions.

Memorable? Meh. Not really. I rarely read interviews with him anyway. To his fans, yes.

IMO, he only interviews well if the interviewer is sympathetic or a fan and plays it safe with the questions.

RockTheTassel
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Like him or not, you have to admit that Johnny has managed to garner a lot of attention from skating fans and people who don't pay much attention to the sport. I don't like everything he says, but I will say that he's created interest and fascination from the interviews he's given and things he's done. He's also been a subject in articles and a guest on tv shows an incredible amount of times for someone who placed sixth in men's figure skating. Someone who can do that isn't bad at interviews, in my opinion.

REO
06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I think he's good with the media.
He's "Sound Byte Weir"! Regardless of any mistakes, he's funny and he goes beyond the "I just try to do my best" dreck. Sometimes he rambles or presses a point too much but I think he does well. Like Rock the Tassel said, he sure gets alot of interview requests for a figure skater who has not held a gold title since 2006.
As for his publicist reining him in, good luck with that. He's free wheeling. lol

SkateFan66
06-16-2011, 01:22 AM
To me, that says more about the interviewer. He didn't do his homework.

I agree. I hate it when people write articles, do press releases, or conduct interviews without doing proper research. I remember a press release last year for a skating show that referred to Sasha Cohen as a former World Champion.

The website has now changed the "seasoned Olympic Medalist" reference.

overedge
06-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Like him or not, you have to admit that Johnny has managed to garner a lot of attention from skating fans and people who don't pay much attention to the sport.

Nobody is disputing that he gets a lot of attention. That has nothing to do with liking him or not. But attention like most of the online comments about his most recent clothing choices.....I'm not sure that sort of attention is what anyone wants to attract.

Justathoughtabl
06-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Nobody is disputing that he gets a lot of attention. That has nothing to do with liking him or not. But attention like most of the online comments about his most recent clothing choices.....I'm not sure that sort of attention is what anyone wants to attract.

He's gotten a lot of positive attention too.
And of course, being thought of as "worst dressed" or "crazy dressed" is still good publicity. It worked for Elton John, Freddie Mercury, and countless others. People want to see what the person is wearing.

I want to know about the confrontation with Peter Caruthers that someone mentioned. What happened there? In any case, most of his interviews are quite pleasant. Have you seen the Jeanne Beker one?

judiz
06-16-2011, 03:38 AM
I want to know about the confrontation with Peter Caruthers that someone mentioned. What happened there? In any case, most of his interviews are quite pleasant. Have you seen the Jeanne Beker one?

The year after the Olympics was a bad year for Johnny, he really was not skating well and was messing up jumps that use to be so easy for him. After one competition, Peter (who did the commentating for ESPN/ABC) got in Johnny's face and asked him why it was a season of excuses. Johnny raised his voice and hand to Peter and said that unless you walked in his shoes, you really couldn't understand what he was going through. Johnny also used Evan as an example, he said when Evan skates poor everyone blames it on his bad hip but when Johnny has a bad skate, he's accused of making excuses.

SkateFan66
06-16-2011, 03:39 AM
He's gotten a lot of positive attention too.
And of course, being thought of as "worst dressed" or "crazy dressed" is still good publicity. It worked for Elton John, Freddie Mercury, and countless others. People want to see what the person is wearing.

Maybe they are referring to Johnny's interview with Peter Caruthers at the 2006 Granf Prix Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrA0w4sTWI

{The Johnny segment starts around 1:57}

Justathoughtabl
06-16-2011, 03:53 AM
I had a feeling the incident was from a few years back. I think he's matured a bit since then.

REO
06-16-2011, 05:03 AM
I didn't hear him raise his voice or hand to Peter. He was a little snippy and gestured with his hand but he wasn't aggressive to him physically. Judiz you made it sound like he threatened Petey! lol Now if he'd clocked him, THAT would have been an interesting interview.