PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70

lexeoe
03-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Actually, London would be a really good choice. There is a huge population base in the Montreal to Windsor/Detroit corridor. Doesn't about 35% of Canada's entire population live in that zone? Western Ontario Section of Skate Canada has a history of a large and active volunteer base. It is easily accessible driving from Toronto or Detroit major airports. They have hosted international and national events in the past, and very successfully. Kitchener hosted Skate Canada International just last season, and is only an hour drive from London. All it would take is for Skate Canada to send out a call to all the local clubs in Western and Central Ontario sections, of which there are hundreds, and some of the biggest and highest profile in Canada, and I'm certain they would have all their volunteers within 2 days under the circumstances. The Canadian media is very much used to supporting skating events. CBC already was to broadcast the entire event. There are a number of "local" athletes to bring in the fan base for dance and pairs - all 3 Canadian dance entries have hometowns and train within driving distance of London - and I'm sure the men's event would sell out pretty quickly as well. Obviously the prices would need to be kept reasonable, but I think people would support the event. Skate Canada is a strong and powerful federation, and have experience with international events. London would work well. And although it would stink to lose London, Ontario as the venue for 2013 Worlds right before the Olympics, maybe Canada and Japan just switch, and Tokyo gets 2013 Worlds, out of respect for Japan.

If its going to be Canada, i'm thinking Richmond, BC utilizing the Richmond Olympic Oval for the event, but that might be a lot of work converting it. Doing the same thing as Nagano did when they hosted Worlds in 2002 at M-Wave instead of White Ring. I'm also thinking about possibly Hamilton, Ont? Is Copps pretty booked for the next few weeks? Or to Ottawa after the hockey season ends unless Scotiabank Place is already booked solid. Don't think they'll go to the Civic Centre.

detchick15
03-14-2011, 02:34 AM
Does anyone know if Kohei Uchimura is ok????

Gidget
03-14-2011, 02:35 AM
NHK Breaking News says there was an explosion at one of the reactors in Fukushima.

Parsley Sage
03-14-2011, 02:37 AM
If its going to be Canada, i'm thinking Richmond, BC utilizing the Richmond Olympic Oval for the event, but that might be a lot of work converting it. Doing the same thing as Nagano did when they hosted Worlds in 2002 at M-Wave instead of White Ring. I'm also thinking about possibly Hamilton, Ont? Is Copps pretty booked for the next few weeks? Or to Ottawa after the hockey season ends unless Scotiabank Place is already booked solid. Don't think they'll go to the Civic Centre.

Copps has Disney on Ice booked from the 17-20 and Hockey games on March 29th, 30th and April 2nd. Hotels would be a problem.

aftershocks
03-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Here's another article with statements from ISU's Cinquanta. The article also discusses other sporting events planned to take place in Japan that have been cancelled.

"Sporting events in Japan nixed because of quake"
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2011031497558

It would be very unfortunate if cancelled completely. Of course though, as many have expressed, this kind of natural disaster with hundreds of people dead definitely puts the importance of human lives vs sporting events in perspective. As mentioned in the article, Cinquanta is quoted as saying:

“I’ve been informed by the Japan Skating Association that there’s no problem in holding the championships. But we need more information on the situation since Narita International Airport is having trouble operating flights due to damage and nuclear radioactive materials have been leaked.”

“The World Figure Skating Championships were once canceled in 1961 due to a plane crash in the U.S. I think some skaters are also concerned about visiting Japan itself.”

Maybe Cinquanta was slightly misquoted, since obviously the crash in 1961 happened over Belgium (killing the entire U.S. figure skating team). If the event is cancelled completely, it would definitely be ironic taking place 50 years later, nearly to the day.

In this type of situation, what do you think is the more appropriate response? To try and schedule the championships at a different venue later this year? And perhaps skaters may want to get together and perform at charity events to raise money to help the victims? And perhaps other special skating events can be held in Japan at a future date, to honor the people of Japan (in tribute to their courage and optimism in the face of these huge disasters)? That photo someone posted of the older Japanese women who have seen other quakes in their lifetime was so poignant. Estimates of this quake are between 8.8 and 9.0, while it has been reported that the previous highest measurement of a quake in Japan was 8.3.

alilou
03-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Richmond Olympic Oval :lol:

Sorry. Had to laugh. Richmond Oly Oval was never suitable for FS, and anyway has been converted into multi-use sports space/rec center. It's only seating is a few bleachers.

overedge
03-14-2011, 02:41 AM
If its going to be Canada, i'm thinking Richmond, BC utilizing the Richmond Olympic Oval for the event, but that might be a lot of work converting it.

AFAIK the ice area in the Oval has been subdivided into gym areas, which could be converted, but not on short notice.

kimkom
03-14-2011, 02:45 AM
I was at the Richmond Oval during the Olympics, and it's way to small to host Worlds.

victoriaheidi
03-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Do we have to start a new thread at 1000 posts?

brina
03-14-2011, 02:49 AM
I am definitely getting the feeling that the question isn't whether or not Worlds will be in Tokyo anymore, but whether or not it will be postponed or canceled.

victoriaheidi
03-14-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm just beginning to question whether there will be a Worlds 2011-period.

Rock2
03-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Do we have to start a new thread at 1000 posts?

Even if we don't, at this rate with some of the posts I would expect some sort of cyberquake to bring it down

BigB08822
03-14-2011, 02:53 AM
I just hope they don't cancel worlds all together. If at all possible they need to find another site, even if it takes place 2 months from now. It is only fair to the athletes who have worked all year and their entire lives. It will not be disrespectful to the people of Japan as life goes on and it should.

Rock2
03-14-2011, 02:53 AM
As expected, the stock market in Japan has fallen; that should also happen to other stock markets as they open. Especially hard hit are the Japanese auto makers, where work has been suspended.

I don't expect this will last. Personally, I think the stocks will rebound.

They will rebound.

Nikkei is down about 4.5%. All other major Asian indices aren't even down 1%, so the ripple effect will not be large. The scuttlebutt I have read based on history is that earthquakes do not affect markets drastically. Apparently there is a surge in economy-driving activity right after from the rebuilding. The difference here, though, is that you already have countries in debt that they have not been in in several decades.

FSfan107
03-14-2011, 02:57 AM
I just hope they don't cancel worlds all together. If at all possible they need to find another site, even if it takes place 2 months from now. It is only fair to the athletes who have worked all year and their entire lives. It will not be disrespectful to the people of Japan as life goes on and it should.

My thoughts exactly.