PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70

Angelskates
03-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Skaters at this level gear their training so they can peak for big events like Worlds. If this competition is postponed, it's possible that skater X, who would win if the event was next week, would not win if the event was held in a month. They might, they might not - but the reschedule would have an effect.

True, but everyone would have the same disadvantage.

I am hoping that if it is not held in Tokyo, it is cancelled.

(Though if all the major countries pull out, I also think it would be kind of cool to have a non-big name winner! Cheltzie FTW! ;))

overedge
03-14-2011, 01:05 AM
No way I'm going back to that rink in Bern. Ever. :scream:

At least this time the audience would know to bring blankets, hot water bottles and firewood with them.

Yukari Lepisto
03-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Maybe Sarah Meier will decide to skate in worlds if it's really in switzerland?? is it too late for entry -_-

Asli
03-14-2011, 01:09 AM
At least this time the audience would know to bring blankets, hot water bottles and firewood with them.

Maybe this time the audience would know to watch it comfortably from home. :summer:

Garden Kitty
03-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote from Ryan in a Universal Sports article: (http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=524127.html)

"There's definitely some concern there," U.S. men's champion Ryan Bradley said. "Obviously, as badly as I want to go and compete at a world championships and how much I want to perform, how important is it in the grand scheme of things? Everything going on over there is way bigger than figure skating right now."

"I feel like I can skate with the best skaters in the world and I was really anxious to show that off and perform on that stage with them, as their peer as opposed to the third spot for the U.S. men," Bradley said. "So it's a little devastating, for sure. But things are so bad over there it kind of puts it in perspective."

jeffisjeff
03-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Ryan Bradley has always been very frustrating to read. He always posts silly and ambiguous messages without explaining what they mean, so I stopped trying to figure them out a long time ago!

I think you have inflated expectations regarding twitter posts. :rofl:

Iceman
03-14-2011, 01:19 AM
So can we stop worrying that something like this might happen to a skater while on the ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFH4uqWIyU

Reiko
03-14-2011, 01:25 AM
No disagreement there!

Otherwise, though, isn't Korea kind of "salt in the wound" for Japan, as far as skating is concerned?

I am in Nagoya, where was not damaged by the earthquake.
Though some crazy fan will feel "salt in the wound", most Japanese fan will not feel so.
In Japanese forum, many Japanese fan have talked about Worlds since the earthquake occurred. At first some people think we can manage Worlds as schedule because Tokyo can go back to usual soon, but now most of us think we cannot or should not. Some consider feelings of people in Tohoku, others consider the situation of nuclear plants in Fukushima and aftershocks. It seems dangerous to have skaters to come here, though Tokyo is far from Fukushima.
Skaters have trained so hard for this biggest and most important event in a season, we hope they can attend. So if there is a country agree to hold this event in such a short time to prepare, it is a good resolution.

RunnersHigh
03-14-2011, 01:26 AM
So can we stop worrying that something like this might happen to a skater while on the ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFH4uqWIyU

You're kidding? Yoyogi was not built on a lake.

SamuraiK
03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
I will totally support the decision of not helding it in Tokyo if is not safe enough, but I dont think the championship should be cancelled. The skaters (and fans) can perfectly wait another month or a bit more till the new host gets it under way even if it interferes with their "peaking training" schedule.

Not to mention the little problems it would carry on into the next season if Worls are not held: No seeded top 6 skaters and No top 12 skaters guaranteed of 2 events in the Grand Prix, major disadvantage in WS points for the skaters that didnt compete in major events this year like Dornbush or Oda, etc.

RunnersHigh
03-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Entire post.

This!

overedge
03-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Not to mention the little problems it would carry on into the next season if Worls are not held: No seeded top 6 skaters and No top 12 skaters guaranteed of 2 events in the Grand Prix, major disadvantage in WS points for the skaters that didnt compete in major events this year like Dornbush or Oda, etc.

That problem can be avoided if the ISU (temporarily) changes the rules to accommodate a change to the schedule, like if Worlds or some other event were cancelled. I don't see this as a compelling reason why Worlds absolutely has to be held.

victoriaheidi
03-14-2011, 01:32 AM

Is there any kind of contingency plan for this kind of situation?

JerseySlore
03-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Is there any kind of contingency plan for this kind of situation?

ISU changes rules every freaking single year as it is, so:shuffle:

bek
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
I'd imagine the ISU could change rules by having Seasons best being taken into account.