PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70

flowerpower
03-14-2011, 12:44 AM
The Men's curling championships are finishing at the JLC in a few hours.

Right, and it would take some time to organize, but the events calendar says the building is free at the end of March and at various times in April.

Skittl1321
03-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I think Korea is the least likely of the three.

I think it is pretty unlikely, but if yuna skates, at least they could sell out one event on a moments notice...

Frau Muller
03-14-2011, 12:47 AM
U.S. Dept. of State is now advising Americans to defer all non-essential travel to Japan.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5377.html

victoriaheidi
03-14-2011, 12:48 AM
I think it is pretty unlikely, but if yuna skates, at least they could sell out one event on a moments notice...

No disagreement there!

Otherwise, though, isn't Korea kind of "salt in the wound" for Japan, as far as skating is concerned?

Yukari Lepisto
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM
why do you guys think korea is the least likely? they can just use the same venue they used for junior worlds, no?

MINAM
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Spent more than 2 hours squeezed with thousands of people trying to get to work.

It was only last night that Tokyo Electric Power Company, Inc.(TEPCO) announced about the power cutting. The CEO's arrogant attitude pissed me off.

Oldsk8ter
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Is Ryan's tweet supposed to hold some hidden meaning? I think we're all sitting here, fingers crossed for Japan...

Ryan's tweet is about the brackets for the NCAA. He is clearly a Kansas fan since he has several tweets that talk about Rock Chalk which is the University of Kansas cheer. He was hoping they would be one of the number one seeds which they are.

alilou
03-14-2011, 12:53 AM
why do you guys think korea is the least likely? they can just use the same venue they used for junior worlds, no?
I think someone posted up thread that the junior worlds arena is not in a central location, and with very limited seating capacity.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Skaters at this level gear their training so they can peak for big events like Worlds. If this competition is postponed, it's possible that skater X, who would win if the event was next week, would not win if the event was held in a month. They might, they might not - but the reschedule would have an effect.

If the event is rescheduled, they'd need to either schedule it in a country which would be willing to bend over backward for these athletes re: visas (so that absolutely is not the US), or else make the new date well over a month from now, so the visa process can occur.

Asli
03-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Otherwise, though, isn't Korea kind of "salt in the wound" for Japan, as far as skating is concerned?

I'm not sure the ISU has the luxury of paying attention to such sensibilities right now. :shuffle:

Korea has just hosted the Junior Worlds so maybe they can use exactly the same organization. Plus since the time zone won't change, the broadcasters wouldn't have to change their schedules.

The Observer
03-14-2011, 12:56 AM
As I said above, it's best to ignore Ryan Bradley's comments.

Frau Muller
03-14-2011, 12:56 AM
The ISU will issue a statement/decision no later than the morning of March 14 - tomorrow - Lausanne time...so in just a few hours. I am praying for a postponement and not an all-out cancellation. As for venues, while I'd love for it to be in Tokyo -- imagine the emotional impact if the Japanese ladies and/or men 'pack' the podiums at home, especially now -- I believe that the ISU would not want to experience yet another 'wait and see' period that might result in yet another postponement. Hence, I am betting that the championships will be held in Korea, in late April/early May.

PRlady
03-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Spent more than 2 hours squeezed with thousands of people trying to get to work.

It was only last night that Tokyo Electric Power Company, Inc.(TEPCO) announced about the power cutting. The CEO's arrogant attitude pissed me off.

Minam, it is really small in comparison to what you guys are going through but the people running the power company in Washington DC (PEPCO) are the most clueless arrogant bastards in town, and there's a lot of competition for that title. Thousands of people lose power with every major rain and windstorm and they just keep making excuses. I think being a tool is a requirement for the head of a major power company. :mad:

Rafter
03-14-2011, 01:01 AM
But ya'll want to believe that the world is coming to an end.

Who is posting that the world is coming to an end? You are, but I don't see anyone else posting this. :shuffle:

NorthernDancers
03-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I think Korea is the least likely of the three.

As for Vancouver/London, I think it'd be Vancouver first. But I think that maybe it'll be Lausanne, if only because the ISU has its headquarters there. Plus, to amend my stupid visa comment from earlier, I bet Switzerland would be easy on visas.

Actually, London would be a really good choice. There is a huge population base in the Montreal to Windsor/Detroit corridor. Doesn't about 35% of Canada's entire population live in that zone? Western Ontario Section of Skate Canada has a history of a large and active volunteer base. It is easily accessible driving from Toronto or Detroit major airports. They have hosted international and national events in the past, and very successfully. Kitchener hosted Skate Canada International just last season, and is only an hour drive from London. All it would take is for Skate Canada to send out a call to all the local clubs in Western and Central Ontario sections, of which there are hundreds, and some of the biggest and highest profile in Canada, and I'm certain they would have all their volunteers within 2 days under the circumstances. The Canadian media is very much used to supporting skating events. CBC already was to broadcast the entire event. There are a number of "local" athletes to bring in the fan base for dance and pairs - all 3 Canadian dance entries have hometowns and train within driving distance of London - and I'm sure the men's event would sell out pretty quickly as well. Obviously the prices would need to be kept reasonable, but I think people would support the event. Skate Canada is a strong and powerful federation, and have experience with international events. London would work well. And although it would stink to lose London, Ontario as the venue for 2013 Worlds right before the Olympics, maybe Canada and Japan just switch, and Tokyo gets 2013 Worlds, out of respect for Japan.