PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Eislauffan
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Would venues that just had figure skating events last year be prepared to have them this year? For example, what about Canada? It just had the Olympics last year.

And what about Germany? Isn't that where Worlds was last year?

No, Worlds was in Torino, Italy, last year. Anyway, the German Federation won't step in. It is also a question of availability of two ice rinks and the necessary hotel space and logistics.
As for a back up - I don't think it is very practical to have a back up plan for each event. That would be a major additional hassle. You cannot prepare for everything in life. Fortunately, such a situation never happened before.

numbers123
03-13-2011, 11:48 PM
would everyone just look at Mevrouw post please! and get some perspective. Angelskates and Fred and others have been saying that the over reporting of chaos is simply not true. Japan is bigger than what you might think. Ask questions

That said, I do have get empathy for the areas affect the most. I am not heartless, but for pete's sake please calm down and quit the OTT speculations of the end of the world.

Rafter
03-13-2011, 11:51 PM
That said, I do have get empathy for the areas affect the most. I am not heartless, but for pete's sake please calm down and quit the OTT speculations of the end of the world.

:confused: I'm not seeing many OTT speculations in this thread about the end of the world. Lately this thread has discussed the logistics of a new location for words and possible locations. :confused:

maclou
03-13-2011, 11:55 PM
^ Earlier someone said Japan looked more like an Apocalypse movie :blah:

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Is Ryan's tweet supposed to hold some hidden meaning? I think we're all sitting here, fingers crossed for Japan...

Asli
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Is Ryan's tweet supposed to hold some hidden meaning? I think we're all sitting here, fingers crossed for Japan...

IMO it will turn out that he had a lottery ticket and was watching the draw.

Bosha
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Would someone please paraphrase Ryan's tweet for those of us in the non-twitter universe?

Skittl1321
03-13-2011, 11:59 PM

I figured it was about the basketball brackets... and not skating. His previous tweet was about a team, so I think he was hoping for a #1 seed. He posted about a minute before the brackets were released. (if that is the case, his team got a #1 seed, but not the overall #1)

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Would someone please paraphrase Ryan's tweet for those of us in the non-twitter universe?

Basically said, "this is insane. Fingers crossed."

numbers123
03-14-2011, 12:00 AM
I figured it was about the basketball brackets... and not skating. His previous tweet was about a team, so I think he was hoping for a #1

And I would guess that his team did get a #1 seed. Being a big 12 conference fan and all. :P

grandma
03-14-2011, 12:02 AM
yikes- i had not realised this- so every time there is a travel advisory this applies?

I know that for example, if a commercial airline decides to travel to a high risk destination , special insurance policies which are made for each single flight to cover the liability. If you decide to hitch hike through Afghanistan, you are welcome to do so, but it is your problem if you encounter serious problems, that end up with financial costs.
As the german federation depends heavily on governmental funding they will not decide to send athletes somewhere if the government issues a travel warning expressively warning you to avoid a certain area. The insurance likewise can say.. a warning was issued, you went at your own risk, so in case of problems it is your cup of tea and not ours.
Of course the concern for the athletes is also important for the federation, but there is probably also a financial consideration.

Ninchen
03-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Apparently Kim Lucine posted the following (i'm not sure where but i guess on facebook. i read it on bjdg):

"A little message while i have internet, we woke up at 2AM to try to find a ticket to go back to europe, it's 5AM now and i think we found a ticket for 10AM but we have to go to the airport to check. i won't have internet anymore so i'll keep you posted when i'll be somewhere else. World Championnship are gonna be reported in Lausan, Korea or Canada!!!"

Do you think it is true?

victoriaheidi
03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I know that for example, if a commercial airline decides to travel to a high risk destination , special insurance policies which are made for each single flight to cover the liability. If you decide to hitch hike through Afghanistan, you are welcome to do so, but it is your problem if you encounter serious problems, that end up with financial costs.
As the german federation depends heavily on governmental funding they will not decide to send athletes somewhere if the government issues a travel warning expressively warning you to avoid a certain area. The insurance likewise can say.. a warning was issued, you went at your own risk, so in case of problems it is your cup of tea and not ours.
Of course the concern for the athletes is also important for the federation, but there is probably also a financial consideration.

So this would keep at least a few more federations out.

JamieElena
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I really can't believe a decision wasn't made yet. The country is experiencing aftershocks as high as 6.1 which are being felt in Tokyo. Another nuclear plant is losing power and may be experiencing a problem with its cooling system. There are thousands of people buried under debris, those lucky enough to survive have no food, no clean water and many are homeless. Anyone traveling to Japan now should be part of the search and rescue teams or going to check up on family living in Japan.

* After 911, major league baseball cancelled all games for several weeks, not just the ones scheduled in the cities where the attacks took place out of respect to the nation as a whole. The same courtesy should be extended to Japan.

I think we need to be patient. I would much rather they take the time necessary to make the proper decision than knee-jerk and make the wrong one.

MLB games were NOT cancelled for several weeks. It was precisely one week from 9/11 that MLB resumed, see here. (http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=210918104)

I've steered clear of the 24/7 news media, only watching coverage during morning news and evening news...both the Today Show and CBS Sunday Morning indicated that things were back to normal in Tokyo. CBS had video of the area in Tokyo that I believe is likened to NYC's Times Square and it looked just like any other day. But boy, when I'm channel surfing and pause for a moment on CNN or FOX or MSNBC....the hype is phenomenally different.

Bosha
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Basically said, "this is insane. Fingers crossed."

Thanks!