PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
We are really lucky that no skaters died and most of their families are known to be ok (except Mirai's grandparents, I don't know if she's got to talk to them yet or not).. oh yeah and Fumie Suguri's grandfather..

WildRose
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
And what rink in the lower mainland would you suggest? GM Place or whatever it's called now won't be available b/c of the NHL.

And if the Vancouver Giants make the playoffs in the WHL, the Pacific Coliseum won't be available either.

The Olympics weren't held in the NHL arena so that's not a factor. I did check the schedule at Pacific coliseum and it didn't appear to be that busy, but maybe the sched I saw wasn't up to date.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I wish the ISU would just tell us now yay or nay. That makes me think there's some talk of moving it, because with the situation in Japan like it is right now, it can't possibly be in Tokyo safely so wouldn't they just say outright if they were cancelling?

It's only been just over 48 hours since the earthquake happened. I think we can wait a few hours more.

Dragonlady
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Mevrouw was in Tokyo on Friday when the quake hit and is currently in Hong Kong awaiting a flight home tomorrow. She was scheduled to go home on Saturday but when her flight was cancelled, opted to fly to Hong Kong where the ground doesn't shake every few hours rather than wait in Japan.

There is no train or subway service because of the risks of rail travel while aftershocks of 6 or more on the Richter scale are continuing. Because of the lack of rail transportation, traffic in Toyko is in a constant state of utter chaos. They've had to flood one nuclear reactor to cool it and until the aftershocks stop, the other reactors are at risk of being shut down too.

I would not want my son or daughter going to Tokyo this week. And as much as I want to see my favourite skaters at Worlds, but I can't imagine they would give their best performances in a country where you have to worry about rolling blackouts, transportation problems, and wondering whether your hotel will still be standing when you wake up in the morning.

flowerpower
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I wish it were possible to wait for a month and then hold the Worlds in Japan, though I know this is practically impossible.

Could the WTT venue, resources, etc. be used for Worlds instead?

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah, this has been discussed a lot in this thread as a good possibility.

Skate Talker
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Like everything else in life, different people in Japan will feel differently about this. No matter what is done it will be the wrong choice for some and upsetting for some.

Asli
03-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Probably a whole different set of sponsorship contracts, but who knows? That would be great.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 08:42 PM
There is no train or subway service because of the risks of rail travel while aftershocks of 6 or more on the Richter scale are continuing. Because of the lack of rail transportation, traffic in Toyko is in a constant state of utter chaos.

This is incorrect. Train and subway services in Tokyo are operating and have been since yesterday. Traffic is not in a constant state of utter chaos (well unless you are talking about normal Tokyo traffic :lol: ).

bek
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Probably a whole different set of sponsorship contracts, but who knows? That would be great.

Someone on another thread suggested splitting it up to two different weekends. I.e what if pairs/dance was held in Vancover in April and then a few weeks later, Mens/Ladies was held in Japan. It would perhaps make things a little bit easier logestically and encourage that whole scaled down scenario as well.

PDilemma
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Someone on another thread suggested splitting it up to two different weekends. I.e what if pairs/dance was held in Vancover in April and then a few weeks later, Mens/Ladies was held in Japan. It would perhaps make things a little bit easier logestically and encourage that whole scaled down scenario as well.

Regardless of where the events are held, that solution might make it easier to find arenas to host it.

I think the ISU does need to be thinking outside the box to make something work. But with Cinquanta in charge, I highly doubt that is happening.

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
that is a great idea! i wonder if chiquanta reads fsu?

newbatgirl
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Right now I think the best thing is for us to wait and see. As much as we all love to criticize the ISU (often deservedly), any change to Worlds is going to bring a huge amount of logistical challenges.

There probably is no "right" or "wrong" decision in this case, it's going to be a matter of what is practical and safe. I don't envy anyone who has to make these calls right now.

rfisher
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
While it won't effect me one way or the other, I'll be very sad for the skaters who have invested a great deal of time and money and won't be reimbursed for either. Worlds means funding for those who are in a position to either medal or score in the top 10. I realize circumstances are beyond anyone's control and I'm certain the ISU is considering exactly what the ramifications of cancellation are. Heavy sigh. Skating is quite different than it was 50 years ago. It really was an amateur sport then, but now it's essentially a career for so many elite skaters and it will impact them. Hopefully, federations will find a way to help their skaters if at all possible.

Asli
03-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Why would that be easier? Sounds complicated for the coaches, officials and judges as well as less attractive for the audience. If the Worlds could be held instead of the WTT, the extra two week days probably would not be a problem for the arena or for the hotels, since they risk lots of cancellations now. Just dreaming...