PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

AxelAnnie
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Things don't seem dangerous in LA- hey, let's move worlds there! Never mind the fact that it's certainly not out of the question that the next big earthquake could occur in California. :shuffle: There's always risk. But some of us would rather live life to the fullest than sit at home because of fear. (not to mention the fact that I bet it's more likely that I could get injured in a car accident in my hometown than to be the victim of a natural disaster someplace I travel)

If Worlds goes on and a competitor doesn't feel comfortable attending- fine, that's their choice. But I think it's a little melodramatic to worry :drama: about the whole US team getting killed when that's not very likely even if there is another earthquake in the area.

Being A veteran of several CA earthquakes......San Fernando valley on the early seventies.......San Francisco in the eighties....I want to point out that what happened in Japan is cataclysmic. The big California quakes have been in the 6 - 7 range. Quakes IIRC are on an exponential scale...not a gradient scale. So a 6 is not twice as big a as a 3. It is a fagillion (i made that word up but I like it) times bigger than anything we've had....and not at all in the realm of "regular"old disasters.

Obviously stuff can happen anywhere. There is risk...and then there is lunacy. I don't think Japan needs tourists...who don't speak the language, who will need extra assistance...coming in right now. And as to traveling to a countryin the midst of a disaster....for a figure skating competition? You gotta be kidding

newbatgirl
03-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Article from the Detroit Free Press. (http://www.freep.com/article/20110312/SPORTS17/110312035/Jo-Ann-Barnas-ISU-needs-postpone-world-figure-skating-event-Japan?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

Quote from Meryl Davis:

"It's really sad what's going on in Japan," U.S. ice dancer Meryl Davis told me Friday. "It seems really selfish to think about, that we hope the competition is OK, in comparison to what the people in Japan are going through. It's a figure skating event — it's our life and what we do — but in comparison to everything (else), it seems very unimportant."

ETA: I believe the ISU said that the statement could come tomorrow at the latest so it may be sooner. And if more skating federations pull out, as the Germans just did, they may not have a choice. They may have to postpone.

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Being A veteran of several CA earthquakes......San Fernando valley on the early seventies.......San Francisco in the eighties....I want to point out that what happened in Japan is cataclysmic. The big California quakes have been in the 6 - 7 range. Quakes IIRC are on an exponential scale...not a gradient scale. So a 6 is not twice as big a as a 3. It is a fagillion (i made that word up but I like it) times bigger than anything we've had....and not at all in the realm of "regular"old disasters.

Obviously stuff can happen anywhere. There is risk...and then there is lunacy. I don't think Japan needs tourists...who don't speak the language, who will need extra assistance...coming in right now. And as to traveling to a countryin the midst of a disaster....for a figure skating competition? You gotta be kidding

i wish i could rep you for the FRAGILLION word alone!!:lol:

Loves_Shizuka
03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
YES
(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8710013&l=0a9783d109&id=775834534)

Lawl. Oh dear.

skateboy
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
The big California quakes have been in the 6 - 7 range. Quakes IIRC are on an exponential scale...not a gradient scale. So a 6 is not twice as big a as a 3. It is a fagillion (i made that word up but I like it) times bigger than anything we've had....and not at all in the realm of "regular"old disasters.

And as to traveling to a countryin the midst of a disaster....for a figure skating competition? You gotta be kidding

I'm inclined to agree. Having been through a 7 point earthquake myself (which was huge and incredibly destructive), I can't even imagine the devastation of a quake the magnitude of the one in Japan.

Willowway
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Some of the Japanese skaters have tweeted or otherwise communicated how they're doing. I don't think we've heard from Shizuka and if I understand correctly Sendai is her hometown although I don't believe she lives there any longer. Given that, I would assume that she has extended family there. She has my thoughts and prayers because the news could be dire.

lexeoe
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Michael Slipchuk was just interviewed on CBC regarding the possibility of World's being held in Japan. He stated that they are in a waiting pattern until the ISU issues a statement on Monday. If the competition does go on Skate Canada would not require skaters and coaches to attend but would let them make their own decisions on whether to travel to Japan.

When asked if there was a possibility the World's could be in an alternate location (I believe that the CBC host mentioned London and Vancouver), Michael S. stated that Skate Canada would do whatever it could to support the ISU should the decision be made not to go forward with the competition in Japan.

Speculation alert: he wasn't letting much slip but my read of his body language/facial expression is that these conversations with the ISU may have already started.

if it will be vancouver can pacific coliseum be the host stadium if its moved? don't see rogers arena hosting due to hockey activity.

ChibiChibi
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Some of the Japanese skaters have tweeted or otherwise communicated how they're doing. I don't think we've heard from Shizuka and if I understand correctly she is originally from Sendai. Given that, I would assume that she has extended family there. She has my thoughts and prayers because the news could be bad.

Shizuka has been tweeting. She and her parents are okay.

From her tweet: "Thank you for your concern. I'm okay for now, and also my family, doggies, and home will be safe."

Willowway
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Thank you - that's very good to hear about Shizuka and her parents.

Rafter
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Sadly, holding Worlds in Japan seems out of the question now. Hopefully they are looking at alternatives other than outright cancellation. I'm still thinking Vancouver might work best.

And what rink in the lower mainland would you suggest? GM Place or whatever it's called now won't be available b/c of the NHL.

And if the Vancouver Giants make the playoffs in the WHL, the Pacific Coliseum won't be available either.

jlai
03-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Travel advisories are just that - advisories. You can't stop people from going. I can see the sense if having a travel advisory for travel to Tohoku and possibly Tokyo area, but for all of Japan is just ludicrous. Sapporo, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, etc are all unaffected and there is absolutely no reason for anyone travelling to the above to cancel their plans.

Yeah, usually travel advisories cover a whole country/region so the advisory covers a much bigger area than the affected area. For instance, there's a travel advisory against going to Mexico and it's not like the whole Mexico is unsafe. That will be like having a travel advisory against going into the US when only, say, one state is affected.

vesperholly
03-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but what about moving the competition elsewhere in Japan? Is there a location with appropriate facilities in the south? Is Sapporo far enough northwest to have escaped damage?

aka_gerbil
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
If the ISU were going to even attempt to postpone and move World's this year, my thought is that in terms of pulling off the event and getting the needed facilities, staff, accomodations, etc., China would probably have the greatest chance at getting it done.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to get visa's, etc. for all of the particpants together though.

DickButtonFan
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know if Mao is ok? I haven't heard anything.

Thanks.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
If Worlds isn't going to take place in Japan, it shouldn't be taken off them either and cancelled as a mark of respect.