PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

MikiAndoFan#1
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Amodio is saying that worlds are canceled on his facebook :(

I think it's best to wait for the official announcement.

alilou
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
World Figure Skating Championships may be canceled
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17606431

cholla
03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Amodio is saying that worlds are canceled on his facebook :(

Ana´s Morand is saying the same.

toepick
03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I vote Washington D.C., MCI Center :encore:

Me too! My heart goes out to the Japanese people and while cancellation may be the best way to go, I'd be more than happy to have worlds back in DC!

mmot
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Can I please ask people to refrain from posting unconfirmed information about the situations of those nuclear power plants affected by the earthquake and tsunami? I have been cross checking Japanese source and some non-Japanese ones and finding some significant discrepancies in contents and difference in interpretation. For example, according to Japanese source, radiation 4 times higher than normal detected in Onagawa Plant, which went down to normal after 2 hours, is understood to be the result of the explosion occurred in Fukushima Dai'ichi some 120km away, carried to Onagawa by wind, as they have not detected any problems in the reactors in Onagawa, which were shut down safely after the earthquake.

I understand your concern, but if there would be any serious risks of radiation and associated health risks in Tokyo, we are not only talking about the skating community of some hundreds visiting for the Worlds, but 30 million residents in Tokyo metropolitan area. I'd appreciate a little consideration taken when posting any information regarding it.

Thank you.

DaveRocks
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Ana´s Morand is saying the same.

She got her info from Flo.

MichaelK
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Just hearing on Deutschlandfunk radio: Ingo Steuer said that World's should not take place now in Japan and even if it took place there S/S would not go.

Sauron
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Michael Slipchuk was just interviewed on CBC regarding the possibility of World's being held in Japan. He stated that they are in a waiting pattern until the ISU issues a statement on Monday. If the competition does go on Skate Canada would not require skaters and coaches to attend but would let them make their own decisions on whether to travel to Japan.

When asked if there was a possibility the World's could be in an alternate location (I believe that the CBC host mentioned London and Vancouver), Michael S. stated that Skate Canada would do whatever it could to support the ISU should the decision be made not to go forward with the competition in Japan.

Speculation alert: he wasn't letting much slip but my read of his body language/facial expression is that these conversations with the ISU may have already started.

taz'smum
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Coaches in France are now saying that worlds are cancelled, but it is still unofficial.

sandra_persch
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
German Federation just published an announcement stating that they will follow the recommendation of the german travel warning and is withdrawing the whole team

http://www.eislauf-union.de/_NEWS_WM2011.html

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Can I please ask people to refrain from posting unconfirmed information about the situations of those nuclear power plants affected by the earthquake and tsunami? I have been cross checking Japanese source and some non-Japanese ones and finding some significant discrepancies in contents and difference in interpretation. For example, according to Japanese source, radiation 4 times higher than normal detected in Onagawa Plant, which went down to normal after 2 hours, is understood to be the result of the explosion occurred in Fukushima Dai'ichi some 120km away, carried to Onagawa by wind, as they have not detected any problems in the reactors in Onagawa, which were shut down safely after the earthquake.

I understand your concern, but if there would be any serious risks of radiation and associated health risks in Tokyo, we are not only talking about the skating community of some hundreds visiting for the Worlds, but 30 million residents in Tokyo metropolitan area. I'd appreciate a little consideration taken when posting any information regarding it.

Thank you.

i think it is hard to do becasue the japanese media are also reporting pieces that seem legit and then changing- so we all cant keep up with waht IS happpening and waht they THINK is..... where is anderson cooper when you need him:D ( actually he was headed to sendai according to his twitter....)

JerseySlore
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Coaches in France are now saying that worlds are cancelled, but it is still unofficial.

If that's the case, I am especially sad for Takahashi and Ando for whom this might have been their last competition.:(

flowerpower
03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Michael Slipchuk was just interviewed on CBC regarding the possibility of World's being held in Japan. He stated that they are in a waiting pattern until the ISU issues a statement on Monday. If the competition does go on Skate Canada would not require skaters and coaches to attend but would let them make their own decisions on whether to travel to Japan.

Is that realistic though? If you allow skaters to go, you have to send a team leader, and other staff to support them. Would you ask for volunteers to fill those positions? A difficult situation.

Loves_Shizuka
03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
If that's the case, I am especially sad for Takahashi and Ando for whom this might have been their last competition.:(

I think Miki is taking next season off and hopes to be back for 12/13 and Sochi. Still, I'm sure she is very distracted from this right now.

sandra_persch
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I think Miki is taking next season off and hopes to be back for 12/13 and Sochi. Still, I'm sure she is very distracted from this right now.

I am sure they would rather spend time with their families right now and until worlds is officially cancelled feel obliged to keep training as normal as possible