PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

leon
03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
March 13, 2011 Travel Alert
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs

U.S. citizens should avoid travel to Japan at this time. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert for Japan dated March 11, 2011, to provide updated information, and expires on April 1, 2011.
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5377.html

cholla
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I had no idea that Amerikuns were so shortsighted that you had to write bold and bigger to attract their attention :rofl:

overedge
03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
what about vancouver? stadium available, huge volunteer base with experience...

You can't pull that big a volunteer base together in a week or so, even if the volunteers are experienced. Don't forget that a lot of the Olympic volunteers took vacation time from their jobs to be volunteers. Not everyone can get a vacation week on a week's notice.

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
March 13, 2011 Travel Alert
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5377.html

Equally stupid question, but what's the difference between this and the previous warning?

bek
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
You can't pull that big a volunteer base together in a week or so, even if the volunteers are experienced. Don't forget that a lot of the Olympic volunteers took vacation time from their jobs to be volunteers. Not everyone can get a vacation week on a week's notice.

Yeah. They would need at least a couple of months, or have it during the WTT at that location. Maybe though they could have Worlds in 3 months time? I guess its just not happening this year.

sandra_persch
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah. They would need at least a couple of months, or have it during the WTT at that location. Maybe though they could have Worlds in 3 months time? I guess its just not happening this year.

You don't actually expect the skaters who have trained to be at their best at worlds to keep the momentum for the next 3 month?

Let them cancel worlds and spend the money that would have cost helping the Japanese people!

Asli
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Equally stupid question, but what's the difference between this and the previous warning?

This one is the last nail in the coffin of the Tokyo Worlds.

Parsley Sage
03-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Olympic volunteers also came from across the country.

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
what about vancouver? stadium available, huge volunteer base with experience...
plus it is srping break- loads of people away and lots of volunteers to help out!!

Skate Talker
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I completely agree. The timing could not be more unfortunate. As long as the situation is not stable it is not responsible to hold World's as planned - and it is probably too late to change plans last minute for such a complicated event. It is a shame for the skaters that have been preparing all year for this - but I honestly don't see a feasible alternative to a complete cancellation. :(

Obviously this is not what you meant, but it is what I initially thought about when I first heard - I was thinking that the timing would have been even worse if the Worlds was in progress when this happened. I guess that is a pretty selfish thought :shuffle:

taz'smum
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Dominique Blanc of Switzerland posted the following on her Facebook status:

Eiskunstlauf, in einem Solidaritätselan mit den Japanern, wenn sie es wünschen, und mit den Sportlern, sollten wir die WM in der Schweiz übernehmen. Man kann telquel die EM-Erfahrung mitnehmen. Es braucht nur ein bisschen Mut und viel Arbeit zwar, aber gegenüber was die Japaner jetzt machen müssen, ist es peanuts!

Rough translation:
Figure skating, in a solidarity Elan with the Japanese, if they wish, and with the athletes, we should take the World Cup in Switzerland. You can take the tel quel EM experience. It only takes a little courage and hard work, but compared to what the Japanese have now, it's peanuts!

Aaron W
03-13-2011, 05:37 PM
If the event must be moved elsewhere, I wonder whether the ISU might consider holding the event in Lausanne at some point in April? Presumably it would be a logistical nightmare trying to move an event as big as the World Championships at such a late date. Since the ISU is located in Lausanne, they might find it easier to coordinate everything if they're able to do it themselves. Though having said that, it obviously can't happen if an arena isn't available or hotels are already too full.

kwanfan1818
03-13-2011, 05:37 PM
t. The bigger challenge is all of the logistics that go into running the event smoothly, and that requires an army of coordinated volunteers that is planned for well over year in advance of the event.
Not that I think this will happen, but Vancouver BC has an army of former Olympic volunteers of which the ISU would need a small subset that would need a brush-up of previous training.

ETA: Olympic training was far more intense and time-consuming than training for Worlds would be. I volunteered for Skate America and did credentials, and I was given ~ 1 hour of volunteer training.

cholla
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Eiskunstlauf, in einem Solidaritätselan mit den Japanern, wenn sie es wünschen, und mit den Sportlern, sollten wir die WM in der Schweiz übernehmen.

Im Bern zum Beispiel :P :shuffle:

MarieM
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Amodio is saying that worlds are canceled on his facebook :(