PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

cholla
03-13-2011, 04:23 PM
If Worlds is taking place, it will use tons of energy...which is not appropriate when you know that a big disaster has happened and people suffering , missing, searching for families and friends.

OK let's not mix everything up here. If Worlds are/were to be held, it's obvious it will/wouldn't be to the detriment of the Japanese population ! If energy and power resources are needed somewhere else for rescue purpose or simply if there isn't enough power for everyone, nobody in their right mind will/would use it for the compressor and the light of an icerink.

I just read on the website of the French Embassy in Japan (http://www.ambafrance-jp.org/spip.php?article4569) (available in Japanese and French only) that the Japan Meteorologic Agency has issued a warning about an eventual level 7 forthcoming aftershock. The probability is of 70% within 3 days, and 50% in the 2 following days (following the 3 firsts that is).

Compte tenu de ce qui précède (le risque d’un fort tremblement de terre et l’incertitude sur la question nucléaire), il paraît raisonnable de conseiller à ceux qui n’ont pas une raison particulière de rester sur la région de Tokyo de s’éloigner de la région du Kantô pour quelques jours. Nous déconseillons fortement à nos ressortissants de se rendre au Japon et nous recommandons fortement de reporter tout voyage prévu.

According to the above (the risk of a strong earthquake and the uncertainty about the nuclear question) it seems reasonable to advise people who don't have a particular reason to stay in the Tokyo area to move away from the Kantô region for a few days. We strongly advise our nationals against coming to Japan right now and to postpone any planned trip.

This is the usual warning any country is supposed to issue in such a case. If needed for comparison, I've already read warnings where people were advised NOT to go to X country at all cost until further advise. (Times of war, major natural disasters in under-developped countries)

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Geologists in the US have also warned of the likelihood of a level 7 aftershock.

nerdycool
03-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Hopefully they can move the event, with a little postponement. There are a number of places in the region who are fully capable of throwing together an event on short notice. The ones that come to mind, outside of Japan anyway, are Taipai, who just held 4CC last month and the Chinese. And China could use this as a way to suck up to the ISU :) (kidding, of course)

And then there's the idea of holding WC in place of WTT. There would be some logistical issues, but it's better than nothing, right?

ksneds
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
One issue with a change of country could be visas...

Depending on the country, the visa requirements for skaters from each country (citizenshipwise) will vary. And it could be tricky - and expensive - if visas have to be obtained at the last minute - particularly if a skater happens to have a criminal record or is simply unlucky enough to be one of those people mistakenly on a high risk list or with a name close to someone who is on one of those lists.

Coco
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Anyone here familiar with the organization of a large skating competition? Could you speak the type of insurance policies the organizers might have?

LOL @ nerdycool, because I was thinking China is the only country that could just clear out the necessary hotel space on gov't orders. And this would go a long way towards making everyone forget about the whole ineligible skaters issue.

Politically, I'd prefer to see the championships in Taiwan. I imagine it might be salt in the wound to Japan to see them in China or Korea.

But the best idea I've heard so far is replacing WTT with the World Championships.

Even if Tokyo is relatively normal, it doesn't seem right to have a major championship when so many people in the country are without food, potable water and power.

Aaron W
03-13-2011, 04:45 PM
From the ESPN website: Japan world championships in jeopardy (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/news/story?id=6212268)

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- International skating officials are considering canceling next week's world figure skating championships in Tokyo, saying the nuclear crisis in Japan is "very worrisome."

The International Skating Union initially said Yoyogi stadium had been undamaged by Friday's devastating earthquake, and the worlds would begin as planned on March 21. But the threat of multiple reactor meltdowns at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex 170 miles from Tokyo has forced the evacuation of more than 170,000 people and prompted fears of radiation contamination. A state of emergency was declared Sunday at another nuclear power plant.

The United States and several European countries have urged citizens to avoid travel to Japan. France took the added step of suggesting people leave Tokyo in case radiation reached the city. The French skating federation also brought home European champion Florent Amodio "as a precautionary measure." Amodio was training in Fukuoka on the island of Kyushu ahead of worlds.

care bear
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Taipei City would be greate!

Skate Talker
03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
ksneds - was just going to post something similar about visas and travel paperwork. I just don't see this happening quickly. I don't know any skating federation that has enough pull with their government to get them to ignore their requirements or rush through paperwork that quickly.

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
ksneds - was just going to post something similar about visas and travel paperwork. I just don't see this happening quickly. I don't know any skating federation that has enough pull with their government to get them to ignore their requirements or rush through paperwork that quickly.

I doubt the US has enough pull, but I'm guessing the country itself has the most lenient requirements in the first place?

[pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong; just a guess!]

oleada
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I doubt the US has enough pull, but I'm guessing the country itself has the most lenient requirements in the first place?

[pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong; just a guess!]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Us Visa requirements? Lenient? You've never had to get an American visa, have you? ;)

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Us Visa requirements? Lenient? You've never had to get an American visa, have you? ;)

Yeah, figures. :wideeyes: Just curious...:slinkaway

Skate Talker
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I think that an outright cancellation is the most likely. Time is of the essence and only a complete cancellation is something that can be achieved quickly. Anything else will take a massive amount of time to set up and you can't keep everybody and their schedules up in the air - skaters, coaches, judges - just the tip of the iceberg.

If they cannot confirm a go on the original schedule in the next day or two there is no point. From the reports I am watching I don't see how that could be considered even a possibility - the likelyhood of severe aftershocks, the nuclear plant situation, the disruption to power, gas, and food supplies - I think it's a good time to face reality here. I don't know how any skating fed could responsibly allow their people to go there in less than a week.

Really, my thoughts are with the people in Japan now....

WildRose
03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Sadly, holding Worlds in Japan seems out of the question now. Hopefully they are looking at alternatives other than outright cancellation. I'm still thinking Vancouver might work best.

orbitz
03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I vote Washington D.C., MCI Center :encore:

Seriously, in the grand scheme of thing, eventhough I know the athletes would be very disappointed without Worlds this year, I think it's for the best if it's cancelled. After all, it's only a competition.

MichaelK
03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I think that an outright cancellation is the most likely. Time is of the essence and only a complete cancellation is something that can be achieved quickly. Anything else will take a massive amount of time to set up and you can't keep everybody and their schedules up in the air - skaters, coaches, judges - just the tip of the iceberg.

If they cannot confirm a go on the original schedule in the next day or two there is no point. From the reports I am watching I don't see how that could be considered even a possibility - the likelyhood of severe aftershocks, the nuclear plant situation, the disruption to power, gas, and food supplies - I think it's a good time to face reality here. I don't know how any skating fed could responsibly allow their people to go there in less than a week.

Really, my thoughts are with the people in Japan now....

I completely agree. The timing could not be more unfortunate. As long as the situation is not stable it is not responsible to hold World's as planned - and it is probably too late to change plans last minute for such a complicated event. It is a shame for the skaters that have been preparing all year for this - but I honestly don't see a feasible alternative to a complete cancellation. :(