PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

riveredge
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
The World Championship can wait. Life doesn't end there. The most important thing is that there are no more deaths and everyone is safe.

allezfred
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Today Show is reporting the "Tokyo is paralyzed" right now. Not sure how JFS can say so emphatically that Worlds will continue--I would be very hesitant.

Rail and subway lines have been shut down in Tokyo as a precaution to make sure that structurally everything in safe. Public transport will be up and running and back to normal over the weekend.

Japan is in one of the most seismically active areas of the world. If people stopped going about their daily lives in fear of earthquakes happening, nothing would get done.

skatepixie
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Maybe. But programs like MJ medley, sassy Latins, tasteless pop songs, and maybe even, Pink Panther, would be really inappropriate IMO. If I heard anyone playing these kinds of music just two weeks after such a tragedy in my country (there's a serious earthquake in China in 2008 which caused nearly 70,000 of deaths), I would cut his/her throat.

And I wouldn't think anything of it. It's not like people are showing up to the funerals of these people and doing the moonwalk.

rustica
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Rail and subway lines have been shut down in Tokyo as a precaution to make sure that structurally everything in safe. Public transport will be up and running and back to normal over the weekend.

Japan is in one of the most seismically active areas of the world. If people stopped going about their daily lives in fear of earthquakes happening, nothing would get done.

Some of the rail and subway lines in Tokyo have resumed operation.

YukiNieve
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I learned about the earthquake via Twitter early this morning (about 2AM EST).
I can communicate with my friends with emails and Twitters, but cannot contact any of my older relatives (in their 70s) in Japan since they do not do texting (via cell phones) or use SNS. Ground phones are not working right now, and many of the areas are out of power.

People are tweeting where you can find shelter, which metro line has resumed its operation, which area you should not get close, etc. But those who might need help most seem to have the least access to the important information...

midori
03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Today Show is reporting the "Tokyo is paralyzed" right now. Not sure how JFS can say so emphatically that Worlds will continue--I would be very hesitant..

As allezfred already pointed out, it's just temporally thing on transportation. I am expecting most of it get back to normal by the morning.

There, as usual, will be aftershocks to this quake. That puts everyone at additional danger. For the safety of all, I can't see worlds proceeding under these conditions.

Danger of falls of jumps due to aftershocks? :scream:

I am in Tokyo, but so far I have not felt any real danger for myself from the quakes. Tsunami is a different thing though.

Iceman
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
United States citizens are being advised not to travel to Japan until after April 1.

Zemgirl
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't know, a friend of mine who lives in Nagano just posted an update on his FB and it didn't seem like everyone will be ready to move on quickly.

It shouldn't be anyone's main priority, but I just don't see how it's feasible to have a major event like Worlds so soon. It's one thing to have it in a seismically active region - I agree, you can't put life on hold because of that - and quite another to go into an area immediately after an earthquake with the infrastructure damaged and a real risk of aftershocks.

l'etoile
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
United States citizens are being advised not to travel to Japan until after April 1.

and with major airports near Tokyo now closed and not being sure when to resume the operation, so it'd be also tricky for the skaters to fly into Japan.

I don't know, a friend of mine who lives in Nagano just posted an update on his FB and it didn't seem like everyone will be ready to move on quickly.

It shouldn't be anyone's main priority, but I just don't see how it's feasible to have a major event like Worlds so soon. It's one thing to have it in a seismically active region - I agree, you can't put life on hold because of that - and quite another to go into an area immediately after an earthquake with the infrastructure damaged and a real risk of aftershocks.

exactly.

RumbleFish
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I guess the Japanese are pretty used to quakes hence prepared to go on with usual lives. But many foreighners, including skaters and officials who will participate in Worlds, don't have much experience with massive natural disasters like this one and could feel uneasy heading to Tokyo worried of aftershocks, etc. I guess JFA has to work hard to communicate that life is pretty much back to normal and safety is assured in order to hold the Worlds according to the original plan.

MissIzzy
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Started up a list of all skaters accounted for on my blog:
http://wp.me/p1dLDC-2m

Feel free to give me news anyone who has it.

rfisher
03-11-2011, 01:49 PM

This is a major event only to figure skating fans. It's not as if it's the Olympics. Japan will cope as they have done for thousands of years. My understanding is that there is minimal damage in Tokyo. I suspect the JSF will carry on as there are financial issues involved. I think people are projecting their own fears. The ISU and JSF have stated that there are no plans at present to cancel the event. Aftershocks will occur for decades so that isn't a reason to cancel. Certainly, if there is another significant aftershock, things could change.

Skittl1321
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
V&T may be having trouble using their mobile phone international roaming service. I have been trying to call my friends in Tokyo via international phone line for last 3 hours, but lines are not working.

A friend of mine in Japan has not been able to use her cell phone (and no power to use house phones) has been able to reach facebook through her Kindle. It's interesting how many ways we have to communicate, and yet how difficult it can still be to get in touch.

If I were a skater- I'd be nervous to travel to Japan for Worlds, I hope they consider postponing. Aftershocks can be very dangerous with an earthquake of this magnitude.

allezfred
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Are you in Tokyo?

and with major airports near Tokyo now closed and not being sure when to resume the operation, so it'd be also tricky for the skaters to fly into Japan.

Narita Airport has already reopened to some flights.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-11/tokyo-narita-airport-cancels-all-flights-today-after-quake.html

Tokyo’s Narita International Airport, Japan’s main overseas gateway, said nine flights would leave today as carriers begin clearing a backlog of about 13,800 travelers stranded by delays following an earthquake.

No planes will land at the airport, Shohei Kagawa, a spokesman, said by telephone. It has yet been decided what services will operate tomorrow, he said. There was no visible damage to runways, Ryoko Yabe, a spokeswoman, said earlier.

Tokyo’s Haneda airport, Asia’s second-busiest by passengers, resumed flights after an initial shutdown following the 2:46 p.m. earthquake, the nation’s biggest in at least a century.

flyingsit
03-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The US State Department issued a travel warning for Japan, recommending that Americans avoid traveling there until April 1.