PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

RumbleFish
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Speedy is probably on the phone with his buddies in Torino and seeing if they can make a go of hosting the event, maybe a little postponed.

Actually, I think it makes sense to move the Worlds to Torino. They have Palavela the venue, and operation staff with lots of experience with major figure skating events.

crzesk8dad
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Actually, I think it makes sense to move the Worlds to Torino. They have Palavela the venue, and operation staff with lots of experience with major figure skating events.

ONTARIO, CALIFORNIA! (OK, I'm Crze!)

BittyBug
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
From the ISU statement, it seems the two options are Worlds go ahead or are cancelled.Unfortunately, I really can't see another option given the very short amount of time until the event is scheduled to begin. If Japan isn't ready to host it next week, then it seems unlikely that they could positively commit to hosting it several weeks later, so it doesn't seem like deferring the event in the same venue would be a realistic plan. And there's just not enough time to move it to an alternate location, even if the timing of the event is deferred for several weeks or even months.

Hosting Worlds takes much more than an arena and hotel space - that's the easy part. The bigger challenge is all of the logistics that go into running the event smoothly, and that requires an army of coordinated volunteers that is planned for well over year in advance of the event. And because of the local nature of that plan - not only in resources but in action - it doesn't seem like that infrastructure is either portable or able to be generated on short notice.

Another issue is attendance. The event can only be held if there are enough tickets sold to fund the costs, and one can't assume that everyone currently holding a ticket for next week's event could in fact commit to attending at some alternate location at a different date. So there will be seats that need to be filled with paying customers, and that doesn't happen overnight or even in a few weeks' time.

Third, I wonder about TV coverage. Here again, the event can't happen unless there is TV coverage to fund expenses. Could a different network get a crew in place to cover the event on short notice? Maybe that's the easiest challenge to solve.

At any rate, it's just not clear to me that it would be feasible to move the event.

bek
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I see that Bitty but what if the event was scaled back some?

crzesk8dad
03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately, I really can't see another option given the very short amount of time until the event is scheduled to begin. If Japan isn't ready to host it next week, then it seems unlikely that they could positively commit to hosting it several weeks later, so it doesn't seem like deferring the event in the same venue would be a realistic plan. And there's just not enough time to move it to an alternate location, even if the timing of the event is deferred for several weeks or even months.

Hosting Worlds takes much more than an arena and hotel space - that's the easy part. The bigger challenge is all of the logistics that go into running the event smoothly, and that requires an army of coordinated volunteers that is planned for well over year in advance of the event. And because of the local nature of that plan - not only in resources but in action - it doesn't seem like that infrastructure is either portable or able to be generated on short notice.

Another issue is attendance. The event can only be held if there are enough tickets sold to fund the costs, and one can't assume that everyone currently holding a ticket for next week's event could in fact commit to attending at some alternate location at a different date. So there will be seats that need to be filled with paying customers, and that doesn't happen overnight or even in a few weeks' time.

Third, I wonder about TV coverage. Here again, the event can't happen unless there is TV coverage to fund expenses. Could a different network get a crew in place to cover the event on short notice? Maybe that's the easiest challenge to solve.

At any rate, it's just not clear to me that it would be feasible to move the event.

You correct, BittyBug. It's not easy and it's a lot of work to put together a competition. I have been on the OC for many competitions, big and small, including the 2009 ISU WC in Los Angeles, and most recently the 2011 US Synchro Nationals. It is normally a one to two year process to plan and implement the big events. That is in part due to most of the OC is made up of volunteers and it isn't the only thing that people on the OC are doing in their life...most have to work real jobs, as well.

The logistics can be overwhelming, indeed. And, yes I am half-joking about Ontario, CA, but if Worlds were to move on such short notice, it does need to be somewhere that has ample international air service, a great arena, lots of hotels and restaurants, a large population to buy tickets, a large skating fan base with which to draw volunteers from, and many leaders in the skating community that can make it happen. In the US there are only a few places that would fill that bill..Los Angeles, Boston, Detroit, New York. There are probably other places in the world, as well, they just don't come to mind..maybe Seoul, Beijing?

Tokyo would be ideal, but that's the issue.

No matter what the decision is...I wish the best to the Japanese people in their time of need. I have been there two times and find them to be a wonderful, hospitable, friendly people with a great history. They will overcome this.

I would suggest that if the ISU holds Worlds somewhere other than Tokyo, the proceeds should go to the Japan Red Cross.

BittyBug
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I see that Bitty but what if the event was scaled back some?Getting rid of the qualifying rounds would certainly make it slightly more manageable, but would it make that much of a difference? I think the biggest issue is cost, and the Q rounds really won't have much of an impact on that.

Another cost factor that might make it very difficult to move the event is sponsorships. Many of the sponsors for this year's event are of course Japanese. The global companies might still be interested in the sponsorship even if the event were not held in Japan, but that's not guaranteed. And I'm sure there are many local sponsors that are providing in-kind support like water, food, flowers, etc., and possibly outright financial support. This revenue would need to be replaced, and again, it would be hard to find substitutes on short notice.

fan
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
what about vancouver? stadium available, huge volunteer base with experience...

ratatouille
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I haven't read all the comments yet, sorry guys, but I think Worlds should not take place next week but maybe next month (replacing WTT?) or another time of the year. It's not just the question of wether the arena is safe or skaters and fans can travel but Japan is trying to save energy (They are planning to cut out electricity all over Japan from tomorrow to save). I friend of mine just called from Japan to tell me that her house will not have power for 3 hours everyday starting tomorrow. If Worlds is taking place, it will use tons of energy...which is not appropriate when you know that a big disaster has happened and people suffering , missing, searching for families and friends.

attyfan
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
IIRC, that the 2000 Worlds had originally been scheduled to be in Australia, but was moved to Nice in France. For some reason, I thought the move was made a few months before the event, but I am not sure. Anyone know how much lead time France had between the decision to move and the actual event? (this might be a clue as to the feasibility of moving Worlds if the JSF says that Tokyo can't host it)

barbk
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
IIRC, that the 2000 Worlds had originally been scheduled to be in Australia, but was moved to Nice in France. For some reason, I thought the move was made a few months before the event, but I am not sure. Anyone know how much lead time France had between the decision to move and the actual event? (this might be a clue as to the feasibility of moving Worlds if the JSF says that Tokyo can't host it)

Months. 4-6 months? It was quite a bit ahead.

Sylvia
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
attyfan, I posted a reply earlier -- it was 6+ months (ISU's decision to move 2000 Worlds from Brisbane to Nice was announced in late August 1999).

Asli
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM

The move was made during the summer before the Worlds.

IMO Paris (Bercy) could logistically hold the championships even at very short notice but the cost and lack of sponsors would be prohibitive.

ChelleC
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
According to wiki, the 2000 Worlds were moved to Nice in the fall of 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

attyfan
03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
attyfan, I posted a reply earlier -- it was 6+ months (ISU's decision to move 2000 Worlds from Brisbane to Nice was announced in late August 1999).

I'm sorry that I missed it ... feel rather foolish. Thank you, and to all the others who answered, also.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I would suggest that if the ISU holds Worlds somewhere other than Tokyo, the proceeds should go to the Japan Red Cross.

The proceeds usually go to cover the cost of the event. Any profit could to to the JRC. Has Worlds made any sort of measurable profit in recent years?