PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

allezfred
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Just think for a minute... Would you hold World Championships on September 15-20, 2000 in New York ???
I think some respect should be given to Japanese people. I doubt Americans would be happy to watch skating one week after 9-11 disaster.
There are bigger problems than Worlds, plus I doubt that many National associations would risk sending their teams to the nuclear zone... but that besides the point.

It's a completely different situation. First of all, this was a natural disaster and not an act of terrorism. Second of all, the disaster area is 300km away from Tokyo.

About respect to the Japanese people, Celeste is in Tokyo and posting her opinion. Japanese people are not Americans and their mentality to natural disasters is not the same.

Tokyo is not in "the nuclear zone". Nuclear power plants are located far away from large centres of population for a very good reason. If there was any danger to Tokyo, do you not think the Japanese government would be evacuating their civilians?

bek
03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
It's near Tokyo and actually I thought about that before posting the previous post of mine

Assuming the power plant things are resolved by the time, the problem is that WTT is a very small event with only four days with much smaller number of skaters.

Perhaps they'd only compete with long programs?

Well could they maybe get rid of the qualifying rounds for this competition and do?
Day One
Pairs Short
Mens Short

Day Two
Short Dance
Ladies Short

Day 3
Pairs Free
Mens Free

Day 4
Free Dance
Ladies Free.

midori
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
JI think some respect should be given to Japanese people. I doubt Americans would be happy to watch skating one week after 9-11 disaster.

FYI, this Japanese person would LOVE to watch skating in the next week. Even more than the last week before the quake.

I am very disappointed it is unlikely going to happen. Although I am not complaining about it.

mirage
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Update on ISU site indicates decision will be made tomorrow. Sounds more like a cancellation than previously.

ksneds
03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I think it's worth noting that, whether or not they are warranted, the travel advisories issued by countries like the US and UK may result in insurance issues. My understanding if that a person chooses to travel to a country after a governmental travel advisory/warning has been issued, there are no guarantees about the validity of any health or travel insurance.
Given the potential for future travel disruptions, national skating federations may well be hesitant to allow skaters to travel if they may not be covered by travel & health insurance.

Celeste
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Just think for a minute... Would you hold World Championships on September 15-20, 2000 in New York ???
I think some respect should be given to Japanese people. I doubt Americans would be happy to watch skating one week after 9-11 disaster.
There are bigger problems than Worlds, plus I doubt that many National associations would risk sending their teams to the nuclear zone... but that besides the point.

I am actually a victim of 9.11 in NYC. My answer is of course 'NO', the skating if any should have not been held in NYC in September 2001. Yet, Tokyo is far from Miyagi area and people are carrying on their ordinary lives. Of course, I will pay respect to the Japanese people in affected area but in logistic wise I don't see much issues going on in this area. Let me emphasize that my point is from logistic view point.

let`s talk
03-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Just checked the areas the planned blackouts are scheduled to take place for tomorrow and Central Tokyo is not included in the plans...not all of it... :(
www.tepco.co.jp/images/tokyo.pdf

MikiAndoFan#1
03-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I actually like the idea of the World Championships taking place instead of the WTT. I think it could work.

bek
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I actually like the idea of the World Championships taking place instead of the WTT. I think it could work.

The only question is that there probably is a lot less hotel space required for WTT than Worlds.

JamieElena
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM

I was very thankful to see baseball resume within a week of 9/11 - I clearly remember the respectful memorials at each stadium once MLB resumed. I believe Sarah Hughes skated in a tribute show within weeks of 9/11 as well.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
The only question is that there probably is a lot less hotel space required for WTT than Worlds.

That's true. Is it possible to make hotel reservations in more than one hotel for a competition?

Asli
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM

I believe that unfortunately hotel space may not be rare in Japan in the coming weeks.

Asli
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I think it's worth noting that, whether or not they are warranted, the travel advisories issued by countries like the US and UK may result in insurance issues. My understanding if that a person chooses to travel to a country after a governmental travel advisory/warning has been issued, there are no guarantees about the validity of any health or travel insurance.

Don't know about the others, but health insurance made in France is valid in this situation. As for travel insurance, it is not valid in case of force majeur (such as an earthquake) whether there is a negative travel advisory or not.

marbri
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Update on ISU site indicates decision will be made tomorrow. Sounds more like a cancellation than previously.

Unfortunately for the ISU they will need to make a decision tomorrow so everyone involved can start their travel plans. This might force them into a cancellation but there is a lot of travel involved and people need to know whether they can start their trips. Rebooking flights and waiting a couple of days would be a logistical nightmare because most airlines will give priority to people who already have bookings for outgoing flights and the waiting list if there are any extra seats is already lengthy. And that's just the problem with travel itself. I know Speedy is a favourite punching bag for most but he isn't the bad guy this time. No one is. I think in this case they did the only thing they could do, waited a couple of days to see how the situation develops but unfortunately the timing is such that there are still too many unknowns and they need to make a decision.

It may still go forward. Maybe they will get the reassurances needed, but if they don't it's not really something one can get angry about.

Hannahclear
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I can't imagine that Worlds will not be cancelled or at the very least rescheduled in a different venue. There are too many unknown variables right now.