PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

midori
03-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Just checked the areas the planned blackouts are scheduled to take place for tomorrow and Central Tokyo is not included in the plans.

But the practice rink is, and I doubt they would make the ice when people have temporarily no power on their fridges/Tv/net/mobile, and even some hospitals may go blackout. Even if the power source for ice making is not electricity.

I hope things will be improved by WTT, but who knows... :(

olympic
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Why don't they substitute the location of the WTT??? Isn't that in April? (I did a quick eye-sweep of the board and didn't see location or dates) It would be mostly facility / hotel ready, right? The only issue is changing tickets, plans.

Also does the WTT city have a big airport?

ETA - If people were forced to choose between the WC and WTT, I'm certain almost everyone would choose WCs...

Celeste
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I am in TOkyo now but things are in order.
Trains are running, restaurants are open as usual and there are water and electricity.

THe only thing is, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Co) will start implementing so-called "energy saving program" starting tomorrow and the suburbs will be affected. i.e. there will be no electricity for 3 hours per day in the surburb of Tokyo, including practice rink in Higashi-FUshimi.

However, YOYOGI area are not at all affected.

From my personal feeling, I don't foresee any issues to hold the worlds as planned.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Now I don't think JSF'd hold Worlds.

I agree. At first, I thought that it might be able to be held, but now, I do not feel this event can be held in Japan right now. I would be surprised if the JSF and the ISU don't postpone or move this Worlds. I do think it's up to Japan, but I really don't think holding this Worlds in Japan right now is a good idea.

And if it is held, I believe many skaters will not be there. For example, the US State Department, this morning, issued a travel alert, asking Americans to avoid all non-essential travel to Japan until after April 1st. I do not see how the USFS can, in any good conscience, advise their skaters, some of whom are children, to travel to Japan at this point.

BTW, guys - fair warning. I expect that stock markets worldwide are going to tumble on Monday.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Why don't they substitute the location of the WTT??? Isn't that in April? (I did a quick eye-sweep of the board and didn't see location or dates) It would be mostly facility / hotel ready, right? The only issue is changing tickets, plans.

The World Team Trophy is in Yokohama which is served by the same airports as Tokyo.

Willowway
03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
For those folks who insist on thinking that this disaster is smaller or more localized than it is, the Japanese PM has just called it Japan's "biggest crisis since WWII." It is not simply that certain areas in the NE of the country were hit incredibly hard but that there are cascading problems and a martialing of resources that have country-wide effects. Worlds are of little consequence or importance in an environment like the one which is unfolding right now. A little later perhaps it would be part of the healing story (and Japan will do that well I know).

olympic
The World Team Trophy is in Yokohama which is served by the same airports as Tokyo.

I thought I was being brilliant, even naively ready to write the ISU :slinkaway

ice9
Just checked the areas the planned blackouts are scheduled to take place for tomorrow and Central Tokyo is not included in the plans.

Um, but that's because many government facilities are located in the central Tokyo and they have to have electric power to maintain their operations, not because the power shortage is less of a problem there or anything. Actually, power shortage is a big problem in the greater Tokyo area right now, and it is expected the problem will continue for the next few weeks.

I'm not implying Worlds should be cancelled though. I don' have a whole picture to say either way. I hope competent JSF people assess the situation appropriately and make a right decision.

Sylvia
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
The ISU moved 2000 Worlds from Brisbane, Australia to Nice, France in late August 1999 (6+ months ahead of time) -- here's one article link: http://www.cbssports.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,1302422_7,00.html

B_E_E
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I am in TOkyo now but things are in order.
Trains are running, restaurants are open as usual and there are water and electricity.

THe only thing is, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Co) will start implementing so-called "energy saving program" starting tomorrow and the suburbs will be affected. i.e. there will be no electricity for 3 hours per day in the surburb of Tokyo, including practice rink in Higashi-FUshimi.

However, YOYOGI area are not at all affected.

From my personal feeling, I don't foresee any issues to hold the worlds as planned.

Just think for a minute... Would you hold World Championships on September 15-20, 2000 in New York ???
I think some respect should be given to Japanese people. I doubt Americans would be happy to watch skating one week after 9-11 disaster.
There are bigger problems than Worlds, plus I doubt that many National associations would risk sending their teams to the nuclear zone... but that besides the point.

Jagerboy
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Speedy is probably on the phone with his buddies in Torino and seeing if they can make a go of hosting the event, maybe a little postponed.

Willowway
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
As far as the power shortages are concerned, please remember that when you hear (as you probably have if you're paying attention) that a reactor has been flooded with sea water to cool it, that reactor is not going forward, it's dead. If this happens to more than a few reactors the issue of providing sufficient energy to the country, and to Tokyo, becomes critical in the short term. Hopefully it will not come to this but the possibilities are there this morning.

I cannot see that in the midst of all of these unfolding and uncertain developments that anyone, the ISU or the Japanese governement, want any influx of travelers or anyone who doesn't have to be there. Just more people to take care of if there are any
unpleasant surprises or limited resources (ways to get from point A to point B, etc.) in the two weeks ahead. I also can't imagine that the embassies of foreign countries want more of their citizens in country because if those folks get stranded, hurt in an aftershock or have any problems, the embassy gets the first phone call.

midori
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM

It's near Tokyo and actually I thought about that before posting the previous post of mine

Assuming the power plant things are resolved by the time, the problem is that WTT is a very small event with only four days with much smaller number of skaters.

Perhaps they'd only compete with long programs?

aaron
03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families. Even though I'm a long time resident in Tokyo thus pretty much used to earthquake, I was scared in Mar. 11th when the earthquake hit for the first time. Foreigners should be scared to death.

Two days passed and I think the biggest damages are over. City function in major cities are getting back to normal. Japan Meteorological Agency has announced that there might be aftershock within the next few days, at the same time, tsunami warnings are lifted.

Some hinderance in regards to holding the worlds here is the electricity shortage. The Venue has no damage, and overall lifelines are recovered in Tokyo. I personally don't feel insecurance at all now. I'm just feeling sad hearing all the news. Whether or not the world should be held here or not, I won't comment on it. There's no way I can guarantee the safety of skaters.

rfisher
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Just think for a minute... Would you hold World Championships on September 15-20, 2000 in New York ???
I think some respect should be given to Japanese people. I doubt Americans would be happy to watch skating one week after 9-11 disaster.
There are bigger problems than Worlds, plus I doubt that many National associations would risk sending their teams to the nuclear zone... but that besides the point.

Maybe not in NY, but they could in any other part of the country. Part of recovery after a disaster is returning to normal life as soon as possible. People will go to work and school tomorrow. Children will laugh. Most of the Japanese posters have expressed their desire that the contest go on. Soccer matches will still be held. Are football fans not going to watch the match? I don't think so.