PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Rafter
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Seems to me that moving Worlds to another country (presumably to sometime in April) would be a logisitcal nightmare. Trying to find a venue available to host, enough hotel space to accomodate everyone, transportation for athletes and officials, volunteers, sponsors, etc etc would prove difficult I would think.

os168
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Sorry I should have clarified. My post was more in reply to Zemgirl's suggestion that the event would be moved. It is interesting that the option is not mentioned although I'm sure it will be a consideration for the ISU. They also mention the radiation issue but make no mention of the energy issues which surely would be more of a problem in hosting such a huge event.

It's clear that the media in general is indulging in a lot of scaremongering regarding the Fukushima #1 plant. I have to say that the French Fed recalling Amodio and now the French government recommending that all French Nationals get out of Tokyo isn't exactly helping much. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is as simple as that. While media tends to sensationalise, but there's a real underling truth to their warnings. UK foreign office also issued similar warning:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/japan

*We advise against all non essential travel to Tokyo and the north east of Japan whilst we assess the damage caused by the 11 March earthquake and resulting tsunamis. There is a continued risk of tsunamis in Japan.

*The Japanese Meteorological Association announced on 13 March that there is a 70% chance of a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake in the same region as the M9.0 quake within the next 3 days. This may trigger another tsunami and aftershocks of over M6.0.

bek
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm at this point now that its clear there are people without food and water, I think the event shouldn't happen in Japan. I do wish though they'd move it somewhere else though.

Angelskates
03-13-2011, 02:09 PM
zotza - there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee of anything happening or not happening, anywhere at any time.

Asli
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I thought maintained or canceled was in reference to Tokyo specifically, not to Worlds in general. I guess we'll find out soon.

That's how I understood it too. Anyway, the wording of ISU communications is not always precise, so we needn't analyse it too much.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
zotza - there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee of anything happening or not happening, anywhere at any time.

This.

floskate
03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't think it is as simple as that. While media tends to sensationalise, but there's a real underling truth to their warnings. UK foreign office also issued similar warning:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/japan

*We advise against all non essential travel to Tokyo and the north east of Japan whilst we assess the damage caused by the 11 March earthquake and resulting tsunamis. There is a continued risk of tsunamis in Japan.

*The Japanese Meteorological Association announced on 13 March that there is a 70% chance of a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake in the same region as the M9.0 quake within the next 3 days. This may trigger another tsunami and aftershocks of over M6.0.

Yes I am aware of my country's travel warnings. It is the same as many countries. I was referring to the media coverage and innacurate information being bandied about regarding radiation clouds etc. The UK government is of course monitoring the situation at Fukushima and advises British nationals to not go within the 20km exlusion zone. This is not the same as the French government advising it's citizens to move away from Tokyo! As I said before, the energy cuts and planned outages, which will include Tokyo at some point, are far more of a factor when considering whether holding the world championships is viable. Of course the situation at Fukushima may change (hopefully for the better not worse).

olympic
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I thought maintained or canceled was in reference to Tokyo specifically, not to Worlds in general. I guess we'll find out soon.

A friend of mine who's in Tokyo wrote earlier that they will be having planned blackouts every day. I'm not sure how long that's meant to last.

I read the statement and I perceived it like that. To postpone - It would depend on how long it would take (of which I know nothing) to prepare a sporting arena, practice rink(s), readily available hotel space and good public transportation. Perhaps many cities would be motivated by the promise of revenue of hosting an event. The best city would be one with an already established ready-to-go ice arena, plentiful hotels and good transportation / airport I suppose. Plus, wouldn't they need many volunteers to help on short notice? Has this ever been done before??

But, the time you take to select a city that's agreeable to all concerned, then prepare for it. Wouldn't that process take until the Summer?

Anyway, the concern is coping with the devastation of this magnitude, not a sporting event. I trust that the TPTB will make the right decision

crzesk8dad
03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
I read the statement and I perceived it like that. To postpone - It would depend on how long it would take (of which I know nothing) to prepare a sporting arena, practice rink(s), readily available hotel space and good public transportation. Perhaps many cities would be motivated by the promise of revenue of hosting an event. The best city would be one with an already established ready-to-go ice arena, plentiful hotels and good transportation / airport I suppose. Plus, wouldn't they need many volunteers to help on short notice? Has this ever been done before??

But, the time you take to select a city that's agreeable to all concerned, then prepare for it. Wouldn't that process take until the Summer?

Anyway, the concern is coping with the devastation of this magnitude, not a sporting event. I trust that the TPTB will make the right decision

Citizens Business Bank Arena, Ontario, CA which just held 2011 US Synchro Championships and will be the home of Skate America this year, has nothing booked between 4/2 and 4/15.

When I spoke with the Arena manager (jokingly) about what if he got the call to have Worlds there, he said "I'd figure it out".

Just sharing........

umronnie
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
IIRC, Nice was not the original designated host to WC2000, but rather somewhere is Austarlia (maybe?). How long before the actual competition was the location changed?

RumbleFish
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
The Worlds should be moved to where ever $peedy is picking his nose right now so he can clear up all the mess.

Gidget
IIRC, Nice was not the original designated host to WC2000, but rather somewhere is Austarlia (maybe?). How long before the actual competition was the location changed?

Many months (6?) prior to the competition.

blue_idealist
The Worlds should be moved to where ever $peedy is picking his nose right now so he can clear up all the mess.

Hahahaha

Sassafras
03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
IIRC it was late the previous summer - late August or September

a56
03-13-2011, 02:35 PM
It was originally awarded to Brisbane, Australia, but the venue was changed to Nice, France in the fall of 1999 according to this Facebook/Wiki page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/2000-World-Figure-Skating-Championships/143846498964299).