PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

let`s talk
03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Such a big event as Worlds will attract extra attention to Japan, which is only good at the time of a disaster (donations, sponsorships, etc.), I think. No? :confused:

Celine82
03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
A friend who lives just outside Tokyo on the way to Narita airport told me there might be a power shortage/black-out in the coming weeks and that the main highway is still closed. She's having a hard time finding basic commodities (milk, eggs, etc.) and the purchase of gas is limited at 10 liters at most gas stations in her area... not to mention the aftershocks that are still happening, the crisis at the nuclear plant and the death toll rising every hour...

So the situation might not be critical around Tokyo, but as to say that Worlds could go on as planned... I'm not so sure... and that's just talking about logistics, not even about the emotional side of holding the competition.

Asli
03-13-2011, 10:01 AM
A million thank you's for this - I have been really scared these past couple of days - first from the earthquake [which scared me TO DEATH - my first one - I will NEVER forget how frightening it was] and now from all this stuff I'm hearing about the power plants. I dont know how dangerous it is or how worried I should really be - you hear such conflicting things on the news. So I'm going with your assessment and I hope you're right. All my neighbors have been tremendously relaxed and calm through all of this and that has helped my mental state immensely. But this has certainly been a weekend I will never forget.

I didn't know you were in Japan Tak. Glad to hear you are safe! In which town are you?

The Observer
03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Phil Hersh says the event should not be held in Japan:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/tokyo-skating-disaster-too-soon-deaths-japan-earthquake.html

Florent Amodio of France has been sent home as a precaution:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gUCjE7rGUkJH75ASorjMH3g_-DzQ?docId=6228364

allezfred
03-13-2011, 10:49 AM
However, a 20 year old who is not Japanese and never experienced anything like this before and terrified is open for attack?

He didn't experience it though. He was in Fukuoka which is 1,300km from Tohoku.

Anyway, he has deleted the tweets from his account so either he himself realised or someone else did that what he said was not appropriate.

RumbleFish
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I just saw a breaking news report saying that a volcano has eruped in Kyushu. Is this related to the earthquake?

4rkidz
03-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I just saw a breaking news report saying that a volcano has eruped in Kyushu. Is this related to the earthquake?

That's been active since last month..

RumbleFish
03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
That's been active since last month..

Thanks. If so, it might be that vocano activity has intensified?

cholla
03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Anyway, he has deleted the tweets from his account so either he himself realised or someone else did that what he said was not appropriate.

Or he was told that it was causing uproars some places and didn't want to upset anyone further :shuffle:

rfisher
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks. If so, it might be that vocano activity has intensified?

Any time there is a major tectonic event, activity throughout the entire Pacific rim is impacted. So they are indirectly related, but you could argue that the volcanic activity preceded the earthquake and therefore, the earthquake is indirectly related to the volcano. It's just the geology of the region. I took a physical geography class in graduate school. If I'd taken it when I was 20, I would have become a vulcanologist. I loved that class. Easiest most difficult class I've ever had. Difficult material but easy to study because I absorbed every bit. I even did a major research paper on vulcanism on Mars.

Polymer Bob
03-13-2011, 11:42 AM
There is a report on Yahoo news this morning that millions are without food or water in Japan. Can it get any worse? :(

RumbleFish
03-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Any time there is a major tectonic event, activity throughout the entire Pacific rim is impacted. So they are indirectly related, but you could argue that the volcanic activity preceded the earthquake and therefore, the earthquake is indirectly related to the volcano. It's just the geology of the region. I took a physical geography class in graduate school. If I'd taken it when I was 20, I would have become a vulcanologist. I loved that class. Easiest most difficult class I've ever had. Difficult material but easy to study because I absorbed every bit. I even did a major research paper on vulcanism on Mars.

The subject does sound fascinating. People should take more notice about the subjects like physical geography and vulcanology before major catastrophies strike.

I just hope this intensified volcano activity does not harm slightest possibility of Wch being moved to supposedly safer region of southern Japan.

Frau Muller
03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I am guessing that the ISU is waiting to assess the radiation siuation, as well as assess the situation for basic services (airport access, water/food, etc.) before making a decision on cancelling or postponing. In the meantime, skaters and coaches need to proceed as if everything is 'go.'

My own feeling is that I would not want to 'be in the way' of relief efforts or, as a visitor or guest, be staying at a cushy hotel drinking the precious potable water and bread that could be consumed by local population, or consuming precious electricity. As my auntie used to think about unexpected guests showing up at her home in the midst of a crisis...not a great time to be a guest, even though she wouldn't be so impolite as to turn anyone away.

If I go to Japan it will be as a member of an Int'l Red Cross team, assisting in a shelter...as my husband and I did with Katrina in '05. Not for 'fun and games,' as much as we love figure skating.

p.s. On a totally-shallow level...I personally am a little sorry for Ryan Bradley, who worked so hard for what might be his one shot to go to a Worlds as the U.S. champion. I know, he's been to Worlds before as a team member or alternate. For him and for others who achieved so much this season, I hope that it's just a postponement til April or May and not a complete cancellation of Worlds, if the event does not happen on the originally-set dates.

floskate
03-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Here's a detailed report on the power outages with direct quotes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12725804

With reports that these outages will last until the end of April and watching the devastation worsen with every passing hour, I cannot see how holding Worlds a week tomorrow would be possible or appropriate.

Domshabfan
03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
some details of power outage that is proposed to happen because of closure of 11 of 50 nuclear reactors in Japan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12725804

NHK is reporting that the death toll from Miyagi Prefecture alone could top 10,000.