PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Bosha
03-13-2011, 05:33 AM
It most certainly is an option. If the Japanese government, the city of Tokyo, the ISU or the JSF say that it isn't going to happen, then it isn't happening.

Not saying it should or should not be canceled, just that it CAN be canceled. Or postponed. I hope something can be worked out, because I just don't see the event moving forward in light of the fact so little is known so far about the capabilities of the Tokyo area's infrastructure to support such a large event.

The ultimate decision is with the ISU. They will listen to the other entities that you mention as well as other member federations, but they are ultimately responsible and will make the final decision if the others are willing to go forward.

While the ISU may have emergency powers to cancel, I still believe that it is really not possible under the system that they themselves have pushed.

Postponed is something else.

If I were Cinquanta, I would be looking for other locations instead of postponing with the intention to hold the competition in Tokyo,particularly in light of the problems that the very capable Japanese are having with more than one reactor. I read elsewhere the 7 reactors offline on the coast together represent 20% of the electric generating capacity in Japan. The reactors are run by Tokyo Electric Power, which suggests that they may be linked by high power transmission lines to the grid around Tokyo. One or two of the reactors may never come back up, and I doubt that the remaining reactors, particularly those in the cluster with the reactor that may have had a partial meltdown, will be coming on line any time soon. That may mean rolling blackouts for Tokyo that may not cease for weeks despite the best efforts of the power company, the Japanese government and any experts they might call in.
Truly, that would not be a good situation in which to hold a competition.

Bogie
03-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Bosha, the ISU cannot force a country or a city to hold a sporting event. That would be...weird, even for a Cinquanta-involved organization...:scream:

Then again, I am probably misunderstanding your intent. If so, I apologize.

Edited to see that I have misunderstood. You are looking at it from a different direction - that the country is okay with holding the event, but the ISU wants to cancel. I was thinking from the perspective of the country/city not being okay with the event being held, in which case the ISU would not have any recourse to cancel the event. Got it now!

aka_gerbil
03-13-2011, 05:44 AM
I don't know it's so much that the ISU would be forcing someone to take the event, but maybe request/ask another country/city to hold World's. I know it's short notice, but it seems like one of the ISU member organizations might be willing to take on the challenge of getting something together on short notice.

elleare
03-13-2011, 05:55 AM
Oh my god. I have loved ones in California. Heaven watch over the people of Japan, especially those in the direct wake of these disasters.

Radiation won't reach California. In fact, most (if not all) of the radiation will be localized to the area directly surrounding Fukushima. The reason radiation spread so significantly throughout Europe following Chernobyl was because the fire (which burned for hours) enabled radiation to enter the atmosphere. Unless the situation at Fukushima becomes much, much worse (and I believe they have sufficient safety protocols to ensure it won't), people outside of Japan are all right.

For this reason, I mirror your final sentiment: we should all think of Japan and do whatever we can to help.

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Radiation won't reach California. In fact, most (if not all) of the radiation will be localized to the area directly surrounding Fukushima. The reason radiation spread so significantly throughout Europe following Chernobyl was because the fire (which burned for hours) enabled radiation to enter the atmosphere. Unless the situation at Fukushima becomes much, much worse (and I believe they have sufficient safety protocols to ensure it won't), people outside of Japan are all right.

For this reason, I mirror your final sentiment: we should all think of Japan and do whatever we can to help.

Yes. I'm a Californian, so I did some research (to put my mind at ease). California is keeping close tabs on the situation, but...well, the article I read says it best, so I'll post the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110312/ts_alt_afp/japanquakenuclearuscaliforniahealth_20110312225449

And, once again, yes. Our priority should be helping the people of Japan in whatever way possible.

skatemuse
03-13-2011, 06:32 AM
There's a consensus of "let's wait and see" on this board, but I respectfully disagree. I think the time for the ISU to take a stand is right now. There's just too much uncertainty on too many fronts to wait for the last minute.

Besides, skaters and coaches and teams have to know NOW whether they should board planes to Japan or not. Parents have to decide NOW whether to send their minor children to compete in a country in a state of disaster. There are logistical nightmares in addition to real dangers.

Non-skating events have been cancelled. What's so sacred about this championship that it should be held no matter how dangerous or even how rattled everyone's nerves will be, if nothing else?

This is a disaster of historic proportions and the first priority should be to restore the country to normalcy and help the Japanese people, not to cater to the tourist industry and hold sports competitions, no matter how much we love our skating.

midori
03-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, it is Japan. If other big events get canceled, I believe JSF will follow suit ;)

_Lola_
03-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Allright already, can we please cut the childish crap already???? There is a lot going on here; we don't know the full extent of what is going on, and we will probably know a lot more in the next couple of days. Is it possible to temper the over the top "OMG, Worlds must be cancelled" and the equally over the top "all of you are being is ridiculous, everything is fine" extremes and just take a deep collective breath and give it a little time to see how everything pans out before we go off the deep end?

It's a very rough situation over there. I'm sure we will know more over the next 48 hours. I realize many of you are truly worried about the potential negatives that could affect the skaters and some are blowing it out of proportion. At the same time, there are some of you who absolutely cannot accept anything except the "show must go on" and it must go on as scheduled in Tokyo. Let's give it a little time and we might be able to meet in the middle when we see how things play out.

But one thing that has been said here really chaps my hide. I am 53 years old, with a solid body of knowledge of radiation risk and and at least a cursory understanding of earthquakes and their consequences. That said, I can't imagine experiencing an earthquake and aftershocks, I'm sure I'd be scared sh&*less. Florent Amodio is 20 years old, experiencing the skating year of his life, and to be thrust in this situation at this young age has to be extremely unsettling. There was nothing wrong with him stating in a tweet that he is scared. And that said, Allezfred, you are acting like a first class, certified JERK with your attitude and posts regarding this fine young skater. Despite your great knowledge and fandom, you aren't in his shoes. Food for thought in the midst of this frenzy.

thank you, Yazmeen.
my thoughts exactly.

julieann
03-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Non-skating events have been canceled. What's so sacred about this championship that it should be held no matter how dangerous or even how rattled everyone's nerves will be, if nothing else?

I think they are talking about two different sporting events. When the roof of the Metrodome collapsed in Minneapolis, they were able to move the games around fairly easily without too much fuss, it was just a normal seasonal game. If they were talking about moving or canceling the Superbowl? It would be a whole different can of worms.

WildRose
03-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Besides, skaters and coaches and teams have to know NOW whether they should board planes to Japan or not.
I haven't heard any skaters, coaches, teams, or parents saying they have to know *NOW*. What I have heard is skaters showing their concern for the people of Japan who are in the midst of a major natural disaster. A decision will be made within the next few days.

RunnersHigh
03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Well, it is Japan. If other big events get canceled, I believe JSF will follow suit ;)

Thanks midori,
Then FSU World Championships also? :(

midori
03-13-2011, 07:31 AM
They are talking about possibility of power shortage for coming weeks. :(

Thanks midori,
Then FSU World Championships also? :(

Argh, the venue for FSU Championships is closed after the earthquake, so probably it has to be postponed, or move to somewhere else.

Loves_Shizuka
03-13-2011, 07:56 AM
^Thank you midori. I spoke to my cousin (who has ladies tickets) and she said she's been told a statement will be made by Monday evening regarding the championships. I don't know where she heard this, and I was struggling to really understand what she saying, so I don't know what's what really.

She's heard (also, like midori) that a venue is shut and is experiencing power problems.

midori
03-13-2011, 08:04 AM
She's heard (also, like midori) that the venue is shut and is experiencing power problems.

The venue I was talking about is Jingu Gaien ice rink and it is not a venue for ISU Worlds.

According to their websites, the Yoyogi arena is fine and the next event to be held there is the Worlds. The practice rink is currently closed but they say it is due to the current circumstances, and no indication of a facility problem.

Loves_Shizuka
03-13-2011, 08:14 AM
The venue I was talking about is Jingu Gaien ice rink and it is not a venue for ISU Worlds.

According to their websites, the Yoyogi arena is fine and the next event to be held there is the Worlds. The practice rink is currently closed but they say it is due to the current circumstances, and no indication of a facility problem.

I think she must have been talking about the practice rink then. As I said, I was struggling to understand much of what she said and wasn't clear where she was getting the information from.