PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

WildRose
03-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Any news on the reactor? No news channel here seems to have a straight answer?
cnn:http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.quake/index.html

Shirakawa, Japan (CNN) -- Japanese authorities are operating on the presumption that possible meltdowns are under way at two nuclear reactors, a government official said Sunday, adding that there have been no indications yet of hazardous emissions of radioactive material into the atmosphere.
NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/world/asia/13nuclear.html?hp

The cooling systems at three other reactors at a second nuclear plant had also failed, officials said. While backup systems might still be revived, if they could not, these reactors too could require emergency cooling, they said.

Rafter
03-13-2011, 03:48 AM
This article says 170,000 people have been evacuated due to possible danger of a nuclear meltdown.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/170000-evacuated-amid-worries-of-nuclear-meltdown-in-japan/article1939779/

AragornElessar
03-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Yazmeen - your post is also over the top.

:confused:

How is a calm and reasonably written post over the top? Yazmeen's post didn't even come close to being over the top, so colour me confused on that.

You're not there. You have no idea whether it's "very rough". Sure the places actually affected are, but Tokyo was not where the earthquake was.

Guess what? Neither are you and, I hate to break it to you, this wasn't just another Earthquake. This was a Monster. The worst that Japan or anywhere else has seen. I've never even heard of an 8.8 Earthquake happening before. So what does that mean? These aftershocks are in the same range as what would pass for a Major Earthquake at any other time.

That's going to mean further damage at some point, regardless of how structurally sound a building is/up to code, you keep pounding at something and it's going to become damaged.

I also hate to break it to you, but just because Tokyo is so "far away" is meaningless in this case. They're getting those same "Aftershocks". It's on the same fault line IIRC, plus where this happened is where four different tectonic plates meet up. So how do we know this didn't end up shifting things to the point something else might be coming? We don't. We need time to find that out and eight days is not enough time!!!

You have the same information as all of us, or less, considering some people posting are in Japan or have friends and relatives in Japan. Maybe as well as thinking we should put ourselves in Amodio's shoes, you should also encourage us to put ourselves in the shoes of the other Japanese posters, and the posters with significant ties to Japan. Why is Amodio's being scared allowed, but people are not allowed to be offended or have other feelings? Are only 20 year olds allowed feelings? Or is the because he's not Japanese? Why must we respect Amodio's right to have feelings, but not other posters like allezfred's. Since when are you the one who decides what feelings are allowed?

Maybe because the posts going after Florent are disgusting and sewer level? BTW, I have not seen one single person attacking anyone who has posted in here from Japan or attacked their feelings over their experiences when they've shared them. However, a 20 year old who is not Japanese and never experienced anything like this before and terrified is open for attack?

As for the people around here sending off the zingers about anyone saying Worlds should be moved...Let me say it again...

Eight days is not enough time to ensure the safety of the Event and Attendees!!

Now eight months down the line when things truly have time to settle a bit and calm down, as well as more information available, then great!! As by that time, God willing, the worst will be over and something like a Skating Competition taking place would give a lift and boost to the Japanese People.

I mean...For God's sake People, I don't understand how in the name of everything holy so many of you think Worlds should go on. This is nothing but a skating competion and not really that major a thing in the Grand Scheme of things.

There a city where at least half of the people are missing and presumed dead and is destroyed beyond recogintion for crying out loud and that's only *one* piece of this horrible and tragic event. Don't even try to tell me holding Worlds is more important right now.

Although I'm completely prepared to be told I'm "over the top and why all the fuss when Tokyo isn't even anywhere near where this happened...." :rolleyes:

Domshabfan
03-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Earthquake is now upgraded to 9.0 in richter scale.

bek
03-13-2011, 04:29 AM
There a city where at least half of the people are missing and presumed dead and is destroyed beyond recogintion for crying out loud and that's only *one* piece of this horrible and tragic event. Don't even try to tell me holding Worlds is more important right now.

Although I'm completely prepared to be told I'm "over the top and why all the fuss when Tokyo isn't even anywhere near where this happened...."

Who here said holding Worlds is more important now. If the figure skating competition was where the epicenter happened I don't think anyone would argue that the competition should go on. If it affects the relief effort in anyway it shouldn't go on. But what I'm wondering and I know very little about Japan, is if having the competition will really do these things..

Look, I'm totally in support of whatever the Japanese people want. If the Japanese people say you know what we could probably pull it off, but we just aren't in the mood. I'll be completely supportive.

Bosha
03-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Excellent post.

It's so true-you don't know when the next earthquake will hit. Of course, tornados are unpredictable too but at least there is some idea with the weather conditions and they can issue tornado watches/warnings.

You don't know where a quake will hit, but here, an extremely large quake has hit and reasonably large (6.0+) aftershocks are continuing.

To my knowledge, no large aftershock has hit the Tokyo area, but I have not seen anyone posting here or in other forums that I am monitoring, that there is no possibility that aftershock could hit Tokyo.

Some have compared the situation currently obtaining in Tokyo to the current situation in Vancouver or LA, which are in known earthquake zones. However, there is no definite heightened probablility of a 6.0+ quake or aftershock along the North American Pacific coast, while there is right now in Tokyo.

Canceling this competition is not an option under the IJS like it was back in the 6.0 days. Competitors are looking to get points and set personal bests for berths in competitions next year.

Most competitors at Worlds have already been to Euros or 4CCS, and perhaps something could be done to compensate those who haven't in some way points-wise, but that doesn't help some skaters who may want to up their respective personal bests for next year's season. Most of you have seen Worlds in which scores were on the high side compared to the Grand Prix or a Senior B.

I hope that the ISU does now realize that "stuff happens" as we say in the US, and that doesn't include just national disasters. A handful of western cities have had terrorist strikes in the past several years that have pretty much shut things down for awhile. For example, putting Worlds in DC was something of a gamble back in 2003 with all the turmoil leading to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. Having a researched list of possible backup locations for major competitions might not be a bad idea for the ISU or the national federations.

VALuvsMKwan
03-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Allezfred, I respect your knowledge of Japan and share your sympathies with the Japanese people, but I will never understand why you continue to relentlessly attacking Florent over a tweet expressing fright in response to a devastating natural disaster.

Quoting Frank Herbert, the writer of the "Dune" series: "Sometimes silence is the best thing to say."

So perhaps it would be better for me to remain silent rather than to say that I think that Allezfred's characterization of Florent Amodeo more accurately represents himself in this circumstance.

Or perhaps not. :shuffle:

ETA: No matter what happens with Worlds occurring or not occurring, or being held wherever or whenever, the Japanese people, for what little good it does, have my sincere sympathy and respect and best wishes for showing us grace under adversity most of us cannot begin to imagine.

Sasha'sSpins
03-13-2011, 04:57 AM
OK, folks, one of the nuclear plant towers just exploded. Cloud of radiation may be carried as far as California. Worlds still going on? If it were 'just' the earthquake and tsunami, I'd vote to go-ahead with Worlds. The threat of radiation to anyone within 200-300 miles of the plant is a tad more serious, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Oh my god. I have loved ones in California. Heaven watch over the people of Japan, especially those in the direct wake of these disasters.

Bogie
03-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Canceling this competition is not an option under the IJS like it was back in the 6.0 days. Competitors are looking to get points and set personal bests for berths in competitions next year.

It most certainly is an option. If the Japanese government, the city of Tokyo, the ISU or the JSF say that it isn't going to happen, then it isn't happening.

Not saying it should or should not be canceled, just that it CAN be canceled. Or postponed. I hope something can be worked out, because I just don't see the event moving forward in light of the fact so little is known so far about the capabilities of the Tokyo area's infrastructure to support such a large event.

Sasha'sSpins
03-13-2011, 05:06 AM
And for those who want to be educated, 70.6 microSeiverts/hour is an extremely low dose of radiation and someone would have to stand in it for days to have a health issue. This is less dose than a chest x-ray. The type of radiation produced in a nuclear plant is gamma radiation which is a high energy photon and will pass through most objects without causing damage.

This is the type of irresponsible reporting that causes people to panic. Not you, the BBC. My students are exposed to radiation every day. All occupational workers in nuclear facilities are exposed every day. There may have been some minor release of radioactive gas which is statistically unlikely to cause any biological damage. There are many different factors: high LET versus low LET (linear energy transfer), high or low REB (relative biological effectiveness), dose (huge factor), individual exposure (how, when, where). Putting out a news bulletin stating some people may have been exposed but no further information is just sensationalism.

And, for what it's worth, those annual accepted dose levels of milliSieverts is on the very low end. We err on the side of caution. People could actually sustain much higher does with no harm, but the goal of all radiation safety programs is ALARA: as low as reasonably achievable to reduce risk.

Thank you-that brings some relief of anxiety anyway. Some. I was so upset when I read radiation might be headed towards California! I need to get off the panic train. :(

Iceman
03-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Earlier today, the Asian Football Confederation announced that it had indefinitely suspended its matches that had been scheduled this week in Nagoya and Kashima, according to the Associated Press. The report also said that the Italian coach of the Japanese team and four of his assistants had returned to Italy to be with their families.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110312/SPORTS17/110312035/1048/sports

tkaug
03-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Show must go on! :)

Sasha'sSpins
03-13-2011, 05:27 AM
I am hopefully not frightening anybody, just trying to set things straight, although I will definitely concede we didn't get too many hours learning about radiation therapy. See my other post. I've also already defended my thesis, which got published last summer, so I am technically Dr. PUNKPRINCESS already. :D

And I have studied things outside my most immediate program. Like 5th grade plate tectonics which explains why people in Tokyo were still nervous and a little panicked (according to at least one of the members here) and are slowly getting back to their daily life. The whole of Japan is situated near a major tectonic zone, so I don't fault foreign travelers and skaters like Amodio who are wary. If there is shifting in one area, there could very well be related shifting near other parts of the country (as has already happened, near Nagano.) I guess I am just a scaredy-cat.

I do hope that the WC this year will still happen in Tokyo, though. Somehow I imagine it being more hurtful to the nation's psyche for it to not happen, and I believe that Japan will be able to manage. I am sorry for those who have been directly affected and who would find it hurtful. I'm not trying to dictate what the Japanese should/shouldn't do, I'm just making my best guess, and I think more Japanese would find the event a morale booster.

Too late. Your posts were scaring the crap out of me. :scream:

Thank goodness posters like rfisher and MarieM calmed my fears.

l'etoile
03-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Allright already, can we please cut the childish crap already???? There is a lot going on here; we don't know the full extent of what is going on, and we will probably know a lot more in the next couple of days. Is it possible to temper the over the top "OMG, Worlds must be cancelled" and the equally over the top "all of you are being is ridiculous, everything is fine" extremes and just take a deep collective breath and give it a little time to see how everything pans out before we go off the deep end?

It's a very rough situation over there. I'm sure we will know more over the next 48 hours. I realize many of you are truly worried about the potential negatives that could affect the skaters and some are blowing it out of proportion. At the same time, there are some of you who absolutely cannot accept anything except the "show must go on" and it must go on as scheduled in Tokyo. Let's give it a little time and we might be able to meet in the middle when we see how things play out.

But one thing that has been said here really chaps my hide. I am 53 years old, with a solid body of knowledge of radiation risk and and at least a cursory understanding of earthquakes and their consequences. That said, I can't imagine experiencing an earthquake and aftershocks, I'm sure I'd be scared sh&*less. Florent Amodio is 20 years old, experiencing the skating year of his life, and to be thrust in this situation at this young age has to be extremely unsettling. There was nothing wrong with him stating in a tweet that he is scared. And that said, Allezfred, you are acting like a first class, certified JERK with your attitude and posts regarding this fine young skater. Despite your great knowledge and fandom, you aren't in his shoes. Food for thought in the midst of this frenzy.

thanks!

Capella
03-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Thing I find super skary in this thread: Punkprincess being a doctor. :yikes::scream:

As for Amodio, perhaps he just realized that his coach is actually Morozov?! :shuffle: