PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Jot the Dot Dot
03-13-2011, 01:54 AM
So what you are basically advocating is that skating competitions never be held in Japan again. Because there are hundreds and hundreds of earthquakes every year in Japan. In fact, let's never have competitions in California again. Too risky. Let's have them in northern Europe. Because there's nothing like volcanoes or anything around there.

No, Antartica! No earthquakes, and ice as far as the eye can see! (And it would make an interesting sequal to the flick "Happy Feet").

BelleBway
03-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I have 3 kids who lead their young adult lives independent of me. However, if one of them was abroad for a competition with their coach but not with their family, and if transportation and communication was askew in that foreign country where one could probably not speak the language, I would excuse them for being a little frightened. If his federation said, fine come home, and if an airplane reservation could not be obtained, the very people who are supposed to be supporting Florent might have made the situation worse for him. I hope he can stick it out and understand that things will get better as the week goes on. But I wouldn't fault him, the kid is scared. And I am sure he isn't intending to be selfish compared to the poor citizens of Japan who are in such a crisis themselves.

Do people who empathize with Amodio realize that the distance between Sendai and Fukuoka is similar to the distance between Philadelphia and Atlanta... or between Paris and Copenhagen? I can't imagine he's had any firsthand experiences as a result of the earthquake that most people would find scary.

Jenna
03-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Meh, he's being a self-obsessed knob. He could learn a lot from his teammates.

Allezfred, I respect your knowledge of Japan and share your sympathies with the Japanese people, but I will never understand why you continue to relentlessly attack Florent over a tweet expressing fright in response to a devastating natural disaster.

Lacey
03-13-2011, 02:19 AM
I'm not "people," I am a real person, you can quote and attack me as Lacey, I can take it.

BelleBway
03-13-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm not "people," I am a real person, you can quote and attack me as Lacey, I can take it.

:confused:

If this was directed at my response... chill. I wasn't "attacking" any one and you're not the only one who is sympathetic to Amodio's feelings of being scared. It was actually a legitimate question since if one is not familiar with Japan's geography, one might think Amodio was close to the action.

If someone thinks it's legitimate to be scared because of an event that occurred 600+ miles away then fine. We can agree to disagree. :)

Tak
03-13-2011, 02:31 AM
I would guess the issues with the power plants will be resolved within the next 24 hours. The radiation levels have declined. The *latest* breaking news is simply that an official told the news outlets there may be a core meltdown only because the engineers haven't been able to get close enough to verify. However, the declining radiation levels would indicate there has not. Moreover, there are measures in place that would contain such a meltdown. These were put in place after the Chernobyl accident. I know it's frightening, but I think that will not be a danger barring no additional quakes in the area.

A million thank you's for this - I have been really scared these past couple of days - first from the earthquake [which scared me TO DEATH - my first one - I will NEVER forget how frightening it was] and now from all this stuff I'm hearing about the power plants. I dont know how dangerous it is or how worried I should really be - you hear such conflicting things on the news. So I'm going with your assessment and I hope you're right. All my neighbors have been tremendously relaxed and calm through all of this and that has helped my mental state immensely. But this has certainly been a weekend I will never forget.

Yazmeen
03-13-2011, 02:35 AM
I think it's perfectly legitimate to be scared when you are a young person preparing for one of the biggest competitions of your life, and something very momentous and frightening happens in the country you are in, and you are called home by your federation to add to the uncertainty.

And none of you "experts" on the situation in Japan know what information Florent has received or not received; yet, you feel it is appropriate to be bashing or dismissing him for admitting he is a little scared being in a country that is still suffering aftershocks and other uncertainties since the major event. Good friggin' GRIEF!!!!! OK, we get it, we're all idiots for thinking anything other than "the show must go on" is acceptable. Forgive us for thinking that authorities other than you might have a better take on what to do and we should all wait for a bit more information before decisions are made. So sorry to suggest so radical a concept as let's wait to see how things turn out before deciding what is absolutely right or wrong.

Skittl1321
03-13-2011, 02:37 AM
I think even an irrational fear is legitimate. He's in an unfamilar country that is experiencing distress, and he's worried. Maybe he's worried that large aftershocks will occur and actually affect the area he is in. Maybe he's worried that he can't get out of the country if the transportation is paralyzed. He probably doesn't need to worry, but I feel badly for him that he is worried.

My friend has tried to describe to me how far she is from the areas that are bad, and she says she is quite far away (Misawa). But still, she just a few hours ago got power back, and she's said her house has been freezing, as they had snow on the ground. They did not have drinkable water, but just for a day. Her toddler is terrified the shaking will start again. She is worried about the power plants, which she say are somewhat close, but in the grand scheme, she is unaffected. Amodio might not even have an idea of exactly where he is versus where the power plants are. If he is seeing maps, with just dots on them, he may not realize how great the distance is from one to another. (Moving from Texas to Ohio, it took awhile to realize I needed to pay more attention to the weather at the closest "dot" because it was much closer than any city a full state Texas weather map would show)

I think it would be useful if the news would put a bit more perspective into the areas that are affected, because right now it's just "Japan is in chaos". When 9/11 happened, the entire US was emotionally affected, but in Texas, I went to school and work as if the day were normal. It was difficult, but everything went on. As far as World's goes, I don't know how affected Tokyo is. I know that the epicenter is far from Tokyo, but it sounds like the area was damaged, so I can understand how skaters might still be worried, because it's not as if Tokyo was untouched.

Iceman
03-13-2011, 02:42 AM
What were the credentials of the man who declared the arena ok? Sounded like he was just a member of the JSF, rather than a structural engineer or some such. Damage is not always that apparent just by a visual examination.

Pratfall
03-13-2011, 02:55 AM
:confused:Obviously the first concern should be for the safety and well-being of the athletes.. I find arguements about the revenue that would be lost to be beside the point..this would be a drop in the bucket, considering the overall cost of the disaster to Japan.

As far as the lost revenue to the Japanese federation goes, other events could be scheduled to compensate for the loss.

People who live in quake zones become somewhat acclimatized to lesser quakes, but to someone who has not experienced a quake , it's often terrifying, and the body reacts even when they try to tell themselves it's OK.

OTOH, the building codes in Japan inspire confidence in the safety of the building..and they certainly know the importance of checking minutely for damage. We'll know much more in a couple of days, but I'll bet the ISU is scrambling to find an alternate location in case it's needed, because if they must move, there won't be a lot of time to do it. Some of the skaters will be contracted to shows in April , and goodness knows what else... A long delay may entail all sorts of complications.

julieann
03-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Denver!!!

Nope, great skiing but too much snow.

I would say Phoenix but a few months ago we had an earthquake too, the epicenter was in Mexico but we felt it here so it's not safe.

Any news on the reactor? No news channel here seems to have a straight answer?

numbers123
03-13-2011, 03:02 AM
What were the credentials of the man who declared the arena ok? Sounded like he was just a member of the JSF, rather than a structural engineer or some such. Damage is not always that apparent just by a visual examination.

Do you think that they would really just do a "look through" and say it is sound? Honestly? Really?

The Japanese Federation, Japanese Government and the ISU would have more to lose if they held the event knowing that it would not be safe. They have more to gain in making certain that everything is as safe as it can be.

Honestly guys get a grip.

Aussie Willy
03-13-2011, 03:17 AM
I have only just come on this thread because I do wonder if Worlds might be cancelled due the earthquake. I am surprised by what seems to be a very heated discussion.

Anyway I would be worried about it being held in Japan at this time, considering there are still major aftershocks (imagine if you were skating and an 6.6 aftershock happened). And also what is the effect on infrastructure and is it appropriate to hold an event after such a major disaster when the Japanese have more important things to focus on.

I know the Australian government has issued a travel advisory for Australians not to go to Japan at this point in time out of concerns for people's safety.

Sassafras
03-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Nope, great skiing but too much snow.

:rofl: My friend in northern Georgia has had as much snow as Denver this year. All the snow has been in the mountains,although we're due for a spring blizzard:cold:

Sasha'sSpins
03-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Aftershocks can happen for months, even years, after a major earthquake. They tend to lessen in magnitude the further out from the main earthquake, though New Zealand certainly was the exception to that rule.

The thing is, you can't predict when or where an earthquake will happen. As many have pointed out, LA and San Jose are both in earthquake country and we've had lots of skating events there. Heck, Vancouver is situated in an area that is primed for a quake exactly like the one that just occurred in Japan. Anything is possible and you can't stop living just because you're scared that you're going to be the unlucky pairs skater in the middle of a star lift when an earthquake hits. As it is, I'd say you have a higher chance of being hit by a car than being that one pairs skater in the midst of said star lift during an earthquake.

I just don't get the handwringing over whether or not Worlds should be held or not. Tokyo's pretty far away from the major damage areas. It's like Reno to the Bay Area in distance. No one would say that Nationals or Worlds in Reno should be cancelled because of a major earthquake in San Francisco, no matter how devastating it was.

Also, looking at the map of where Sendai is located (love Google Earth!) and the location of the earthquake, there seem to be some very specific topographical reasons why the tsunamis and the aftermath have been as bad as they are. Please, folks, really start reading up on and studying the science of seismology before jumping to any conclusions about whether or not Tokyo and the JSF are capable of hosting Worlds in another 10 days.

Stepping aside from the discussion about Worlds, my heart really does go out to everyone in Japan who has been affected by this enormous tragedy. I know what it is like to live through a major earthquake and I know it's not something easily overcome. The stress and trauma will affect the Japanese people for many years to come. Earthquakes are unlike any other natural disaster on earth... You don't know when the next one will hit or how big it will be after you've lived through a big one.

Excellent post.

It's so true-you don't know when the next earthquake will hit. Of course, tornados are unpredictable too but at least there is some idea with the weather conditions and they can issue tornado watches/warnings.