PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Skittl1321
03-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Omaha!
:P

Just not in the winter. Skating needs to become a summer sport, it seems.

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Rise is the recently released film about the plane crash in Belgium, when the American team was headed for Worlds, that wiped out the entire USA team and their coaches. There might be some apprehension that this could happen again, i.e the entire team being lost again .

http://figureskating.about.com/od/figureskatingmovies/p/RISE.htm

the teams still travel together? i thougth they arrived coach when ever they wanted - silly me! :P

midori
03-13-2011, 01:07 AM
I would guess the issues with the power plants will be resolved within the next 24 hours. The radiation levels have declined. The *latest* breaking news is simply that an official told the news outlets there may be a core meltdown only because the engineers haven't been able to get close enough to verify. However, the declining radiation levels would indicate there has not. Moreover, there are measures in place that would contain such a meltdown. These were put in place after the Chernobyl accident. I know it's frightening, but I think that will not be a danger barring no additional quakes in the area.

Thank you, rfisher.

Actually I am not frightened. I just do not know if I should feel frightened and so far I chose not to.

I think watching the news made my feelings a little paralyzed. I need to get back some of daily feelings, like cheering skaters, or feeling devastated because someone splats.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Certainly not Paris! Strikes! Civil Unrest! ;)

Yazmeen
03-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Allright already, can we please cut the childish crap already???? There is a lot going on here; we don't know the full extent of what is going on, and we will probably know a lot more in the next couple of days. Is it possible to temper the over the top "OMG, Worlds must be cancelled" and the equally over the top "all of you are being is ridiculous, everything is fine" extremes and just take a deep collective breath and give it a little time to see how everything pans out before we go off the deep end?

It's a very rough situation over there. I'm sure we will know more over the next 48 hours. I realize many of you are truly worried about the potential negatives that could affect the skaters and some are blowing it out of proportion. At the same time, there are some of you who absolutely cannot accept anything except the "show must go on" and it must go on as scheduled in Tokyo. Let's give it a little time and we might be able to meet in the middle when we see how things play out.

But one thing that has been said here really chaps my hide. I am 53 years old, with a solid body of knowledge of radiation risk and and at least a cursory understanding of earthquakes and their consequences. That said, I can't imagine experiencing an earthquake and aftershocks, I'm sure I'd be scared sh&*less. Florent Amodio is 20 years old, experiencing the skating year of his life, and to be thrust in this situation at this young age has to be extremely unsettling. There was nothing wrong with him stating in a tweet that he is scared. And that said, Allezfred, you are acting like a first class, certified JERK with your attitude and posts regarding this fine young skater. Despite your great knowledge and fandom, you aren't in his shoes. Food for thought in the midst of this frenzy.

rfisher
03-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Thank you, rfisher.

Actually I am not frightened. I just do not know if I should feel frightened and so far I chose not to.

I think watching the news made my feelings a little paralyzed. I need to get back some of daily feelings, like cheering skaters, or feeling devastated because someone splats.

Good for you. :) Go outside and do something enjoyable.

tapper88
03-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Thank you, Yazmeen :)

AragornElessar
03-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Thank you Yazmeen for the first truly mature comment I've read in I don't know how many pages.

Coco
03-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Meh, he's being a self-obsessed knob.

No more than anyone else who tweets, LOL

He could learn a lot from his teammates.

To be fair, they are speaking from Moscow, while he is in Japan.

That said, I loved P&B's comments about Japan and their experiences there. Just one more reason to love them!!

victoriaheidi
03-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Yazmeen, thank you for being a lovely voice of reason. :)

Angelskates
03-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Yazmeen - your post is also over the top. You're not there. You have no idea whether it's "very rough". Sure the places actually affected are, but Tokyo was not where the earthquake was. You have the same information as all of us, or less, considering some people posting are in Japan or have friends and relatives in Japan. Maybe as well as thinking we should put ourselves in Amodio's shoes, you should also encourage us to put ourselves in the shoes of the other Japanese posters, and the posters with significant ties to Japan. Why is Amodio's being scared allowed, but people are not allowed to be offended or have other feelings? Are only 20 year olds allowed feelings? Or is the because he's not Japanese? Why must we respect Amodio's right to have feelings, but not other posters like allezfred's. Since when are you the one who decides what feelings are allowed?

Lacey
03-13-2011, 01:37 AM
I have 3 kids who lead their young adult lives independent of me. However, if one of them was abroad for a competition with their coach but not with their family, and if transportation and communication was askew in that foreign country where one could probably not speak the language, I would excuse them for being a little frightened. If his federation said, fine come home, and if an airplane reservation could not be obtained, the very people who are supposed to be supporting Florent might have made the situation worse for him. I hope he can stick it out and understand that things will get better as the week goes on. But I wouldn't fault him, the kid is scared. And I am sure he isn't intending to be selfish compared to the poor citizens of Japan who are in such a crisis themselves.

kwanfan1818
03-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Silly question: Is it not possible the Japanese federation and ISU may no longer even have a say, as the Japanese government might well say NOT NOW, SORRY?
I think that there will be infrastructure and safety checks that will be input to any decision the Japanese Federation or ISU makes, yes, and possibly additional procedures/services put into place at the event.

So saying that because it's happening in Japan it's better because they can deal better with this makes me a bit angry.

:mad: all you want, but by the way the US government "handled" Katrina, and given the lack of coordination between federal, state, and local emergency (or lack thereof) plans, I would trust this to be handled better in Japan than in the US. It doesn't matter how much a government is slapped/sanctioned/excoriated by post-emergency reviews, because it doesn't change any blunders retroactively.

Omaha!
Tornadoes?

wRECkSk8r
03-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Omaha!

Denver!!!

Asli
03-13-2011, 01:39 AM

I know how it can be paralyzing midori, almost poisonous. For weeks we spent all our free time glued to the TV after the 1999 earthquake in Turkey (the official death toll was 17,500 but the unofficial number is almost 50,000.) A huge number of people were trapped under debris. I hope Japanese TV is showing some more restraint, because Turkish private TV channels kept throwing us into new depths of misery every day, following those peoples' fates. :(

Even though probably every Turkish person's attention was focused on the earthquake area and more than enough volunteers went there, I don't remember any suggestions that all sixty million people should stop their normal activities out of respect for the victims and do ... I don't know what. :confused:

It was essential for life to go on as normally as possible so that the very costly earthquake would not be followed by an economic crisis. It was the middle of the tourism season and people in the tourism zones far from the earthquake area desperately hoped that reservations would not be cancelled because the whole country was perceived as a disaster zone.

So inevitably my understanding of the earthquake in Japan is tainted by this former experience.