PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Wiery
03-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

Minami-Sanriku is such a quiet, beautiful town by the sea... approx. 10,000 people are missing.. that is more than half of the whole town's population ( about 18,000 ) :(

Words are just inadequate...those lives...:eek:

Wiery
03-13-2011, 12:12 AM
I would guess the issues with the power plants will be resolved within the next 24 hours. The radiation levels have declined. The *latest* breaking news is simply that an official told the news outlets there may be a core meltdown only because the engineers haven't been able to get close enough to verify. However, the declining radiation levels would indicate there has not. Moreover, there are measures in place that would contain such a meltdown. These were put in place after the Chernobyl accident. I know it's frightening, but I think that will not be a danger barring no additional quakes in the area.

Thank you for this information.

Asli
03-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Péchalat/Bourzat interview article published today: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110312&content_id=16920690&vkey=ice_news
Excerpt:

Bourzat: This event is such a tragedy for Japan and the Japanese people. Yet we have absolutely no worry for ourselves. They are so serious about everything there, that we trust them 100 percent.

Péchalat: I have heard rumors that some skaters were frightened for their own safety. Actually, we feel exactly the opposite. We owe these championships to the numerous fans skating has in Japan. Seeing skating should help them. We must not close the door to them now, especially since they have just lived through horror.

That's the spirit! :)

allezfred
03-13-2011, 12:22 AM
:cheer2:

Iceman
03-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Because of the 1961 tragedy, US skaters and coaches never travel together to a competition. Each individual makes his/her own travel arrangements. So if there was danger in Tokyo, the danger would be the same for all skaters and teams from every country, not just the US team. I am sure that if conditions in Tokyo are still deemed to be dangerous by early next week, the competition will be postponed, cancelled, or moved to another location.

I wasn't suggesting they would be killed in another plane crash, but by another quake. What is going to happen next is a throw of the dice. Things might not seem dangerous early next week, but that doesn't mean that nothing else is going to happen----could well be the quiet before the storm. Too big a risk imho. Who would want to risk their life being cut short or a severe injury just to participate in a skating competition?

Thinking Florent is disrespectful because he admits his fear IS really disrespectful imo and quite unwarranted imo.

skatesindreams
03-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Thank you for this information.

I second this, rfisher!

rfisher
03-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I wasn't suggesting they would be killed in another plane crash, but by another quake. What is going to happen next is a throw of the dice. Things might not seem dangerous early next week, but that doesn't mean that nothing else is going to happen----could well be the quiet before the storm. Too big a risk imho. Who would want to risk their life cut short to participate in a skating competition.

Thinking Florent is disrespectful because he admits his fear is disrespectful imo and quite unwarranted.

In that case, they should cancel NHK next fall because there is always an earthquake risk in Japan. And Canada can't have any events in Vancouver. China has earthquakes so I guess CoC has to go. The US has hurricanes, flooding, blizzards, so I guess we're out. Looks like TEB is it.

allezfred
03-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I wasn't suggesting they would be killed in another plane crash, but by another quake. What is going to happen next is a throw of the dice. Things might not seem dangerous early next week, but that doesn't mean that nothing else is going to happen----could well be the quiet before the storm. Too big a risk imho. Who would want to risk their life cut short to participate in a skating competition.

So what you are basically advocating is that skating competitions never be held in Japan again. Because there are hundreds and hundreds of earthquakes every year in Japan. In fact, let's never have competitions in California again. Too risky. Let's have them in northern Europe. Because there's nothing like volcanoes or anything around there.

Thinking Florent is disrespectful because he admits his fear is disrespectful imo and quite unwarranted.

Meh, he's being a self-obsessed knob. He could learn a lot from his teammates.

Skittl1321
03-13-2011, 12:32 AM
In that case, they should cancel NHK next fall because there is always an earthquake risk in Japan.

Except that aftershocks are a very real, and current threat. You can only be prepared for the next earthquake, which can happen anywhere. But if you pretty much know that aftershocks are going to happen, is it smart to host an event where a bunch of people who are not well versed in earthquake emergency preparedness will be coming in?

Many of the aftershocks have measured above 6.0 and at least 3 above 7.0- those aren't little shakes, they are decent quakes on their own accord, just called "aftershocks" because they follow a major earthquake on the same fault line.

I don't think it is unreasonable for federations to worry about the safety of their athletes right now. I'm really interested to see what ends up happening.

BelleBway
03-13-2011, 12:38 AM

Things don't seem dangerous in LA- hey, let's move worlds there! Never mind the fact that it's certainly not out of the question that the next big earthquake could occur in California. :shuffle: There's always risk. But some of us would rather live life to the fullest than sit at home because of fear. (not to mention the fact that I bet it's more likely that I could get injured in a car accident in my hometown than to be the victim of a natural disaster someplace I travel)

If Worlds goes on and a competitor doesn't feel comfortable attending- fine, that's their choice. But I think it's a little melodramatic to worry :drama: about the whole US team getting killed when that's not very likely even if there is another earthquake in the area.

OlieRow
03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
So what you are basically advocating is that skating competitions never be held in Japan again. Because there are hundreds and hundreds of earthquakes every year in Japan. In fact, let's never have competitions in California again. Too risky. Let's have them in northern Europe. Because there's nothing like volcanoes or anything around there.

Skate America and US Nationals on the East Coast FOREVER! :mitchell:

:P

Asli
03-13-2011, 12:45 AM
In that case, they should cancel NHK next fall because there is always an earthquake risk in Japan. And Canada can't have any events in Vancouver. China has earthquakes so I guess CoC has to go. The US has hurricanes, flooding, blizzards, so I guess we're out. Looks like TEB is it.

Exactly! That's it! All 6 GP events + GPF and Worlds should be held in Paris! :cheer2:

musicgurl
03-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Skate America and US Nationals on the East Coast FOREVER! :mitchell:

But don't they get hurricanes on the east coast?

nerdycool
03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Exactly! That's it! All 6 GP events + GPF and Worlds should be held in Paris! :cheer2:The voids would never end!

numbers123
03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Omaha!