PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

IceIceBaby
03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
So I don't get it...if worlds do go on as planned Amodio won't be there and will be giving up a chance to win a medal? I just hope the other skaters who are coming in next week don't miss the competition because the flights are delayed.

Amodio's flight will leave next week. So if the World's won't be cancelled and the situation in Japan will be OK, he will stay.

Iceman
03-12-2011, 08:37 PM
With the recent release of Rise reminding the skating community of the loss of an entire generation of skaters and coaches , I wonder if the US team will go if the event is held in Tokyo.

While the US didn't do a perfect job, by any means, of handling the melt down at Three Mile Island, it didn't do all that bad and I believe it was one of the first or maybe even the first such event, so they were in uncharted waters.

cholla
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I will gladly take anyones tickets to Worlds if they don't want them! I will be the one in the stands holding up the sign that says "I must hate Japan because I still came to Worlds."

Wait for me, we'll make a bigger sign and hold one end each ;)

numbers123
03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
With the recent release of Rise reminding the skating community of the loss of an entire generation of skaters and coaches , I wonder if the US team will go if the event is held in Tokyo.

:confused: what does this mean and why would the American team be not willing to go?

nerdycool
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't think USFSA will pull the entire team in a case like this. However, I could see them telling their skaters that whether or not they want to go is entirely up to them... and to let them know so they could notify the alternates in time.

equatorial
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
I would take anyone's tickets to the Worlds :P I've survived an anthrax spores leak from a bacteriological weapons plant when I was 6. Radiation? What radiation? I want to see Daisuke winning this crap!

brina
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Mirai updated her facebook saying that one side of her grandparents called, but she still hasn't heard from her other grandparents.

Iceman
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
:confused: what does this mean and why would the American team be not willing to go?

Rise is the recently released film about the plane crash in Belgium, when the American team was headed for Worlds, that wiped out the entire USA team and their coaches. There might be some apprehension that this could happen again, i.e the entire team being lost again .

http://figureskating.about.com/od/figureskatingmovies/p/RISE.htm

Nikki Lee
03-12-2011, 09:45 PM
The situation in Japan is anything but stable. How can anyone make a prediction at this point?

I imagine the Japanese team could be tremendously motivated to do well at Worlds to celebrate the triumph and determination of the human spirit.

warmly,
Nikki

Ajax
03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Mirai updated her facebook saying that one side of her grandparents called, but she still hasn't heard from her other grandparents.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the second set of grandparents is safe as well.

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Nagasu also tweeted today: "Got in touch with my grandma in Matsumoto (near Nagano) But still no contact from my grandparents in mito" (Mito is the capital of Ibaraki Prefecture). For reference, here's a photo of a "caved-in section of the Joban Motorway near Mito": http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20042270-503543.html
Hoping for the best for the Nagasu family!

maggylyn
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I would take anyone's tickets that don't want to go. I would take your plane tickets and hotel reservations too.

Same here.

WildRose
03-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Jo-Ann Barnas article in the Detroit Free Press:

"It's really sad what's going on in Japan," U.S. ice dancer Meryl Davis told me Friday. "It seems really selfish to think about, that we hope the competition is OK, in comparison to what the people in Japan are going through. It's a figure skating event it's our life and what we do but in comparison to everything (else), it seems very unimportant."
http://www.freep.com/article/20110312/SPORTS17/110312035/Jo-Ann-Barnas-ISU-needs-postpone-world-figure-skating-event-Japan?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

I think the ISU has said they're going to wait a few days and review the situation with Govt & Skating officials in Japan before coming to a final decision. I hope that Worlds will be able to go ahead as planned, if that is what is best for all concerned.
I'd like to thank all the skating fans in Japan who have been reporting in to let us know the situation there. Stay safe - our thoughts are with you.

numbers123
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Rise is the recently released film about the plane crash in Belgium, when the American team was headed for Worlds, that wiped out the entire USA team and their coaches. There might be some apprehension that this could happen again, i.e the entire team being lost again .

http://figureskating.about.com/od/figureskatingmovies/p/RISE.htm

I know what Rise is about. What I don't see a connection to is a wipe out of the entier USA team and coaches and this event in Japan. How can this be connected in anyway? The connection makes no sense at all to me, can you explain it?
I don't see that the entire team would be wiped out by going unless it was something like the air disaster that happened. And don't teams make their own arrangements now? Maybe the USFSA should quit sending teams anywhere where air travel is needed? :rolleyes:

Catherine M
03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't. :)

In spite of their regular snarkiness, FSUers are always thoughtful and compassionate in times of adversity like this...
Thank you for your concern and kind words, everyone! I hope I can get a hold of my friends and relatives in Miyagi & Fukushima soon and reach my family again to know how they are doing. :)

Hope you will be able to regain contact with your family & friends soon. I know that it is very hard not to be in touch with those you love. And thanks for sharing your experiences.