PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

IceIceBaby
03-12-2011, 06:44 PM
If somebody who was 1000km away from where I was at that time had told me how :drama: scared they were, I would have slapped them.

Wow, you sound like a violent person?

allezfred
03-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow, you sound like a violent person?

I am, so you'd better watch out. :saint:

Willowway
03-12-2011, 06:49 PM
It's surprising that this huge national disaster in Japan is bringing out so much negativity and aggression on this board. I don't get it. This is so much bigger than any one of us and so devastating to so many people/families that it should be hard to get into the "me, right, me, right" space. Shouldn't it? Believe me, I go there too often myself but about this? Our individual egos have little place in this story.

One nice thing I just saw - my cable provider has opened NHK coverage (which is usually a paid for service) to the public for several weeks to help keep our local Japanese community informed. I like the spirit behind that decision. It may not be much but it's what they could do to help.

_Lola_
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
If somebody who was 1000km away from where I was at that time had told me how :drama: scared they were, I would have slapped them.
I would be really scared, slapped me or not :shuffle: Considering the size of the country, the fact that it is situated on islands and the percentage of the territory affected by the earthquakes and tsunami - the situation can make scarry someone like me (and Amodio). Sorry about that.

My heart is with Japanese people. I wish them stay strong and recover soon from this tragedy.

judiz
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
All the tour companies have said they're carrying on as usual. I haven't seen that the government has shut down the airport to incoming commercial flights. Why would the government want to keep people out of areas not impacted by the quake?

It's not the just the Japanese government, a lot of countries are asking people not to travel to Japan unless they are part of the relief effort.

rfisher
03-12-2011, 06:57 PM
If I had a ticket for worlds, I'd go.

ponta1
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
It's surprising that this huge national disaster in Japan is bringing out so much negativity and aggression on this board. I don't get it. This is so much bigger than any one of us and so devastating to so many people/families that it should be hard to get into the "me, right, me, right" space. Shouldn't it? Believe me, I go there too often myself but about this? Our individual egos have little place in this story.

One nice thing I just saw - my cable provider has opened NHK coverage (which is usually a paid for service) to the public for several weeks to help keep our local Japanese community informed. I like the spirit behind that decision. It may not be much but it's what they could do to help.

:cheer: That's the spirit! I think I will make this suggestion to my cable provider here!

dbell1
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
...lines up to be slapped by Fred... :lol:

And I'd go to Worlds too if I could. Japan is on my bucket list and after witnessing the courage of the people, I'm more determined to get there.

danceronice
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
A month or six months from now, tourism may be a good money-raiser. While people are still digging out, looking for bodies, and deciding what to do about a meltdown, having a bunch of tourists underfoot is really not going to be all that helpful.

Forget posters bickering, I question anyone's priorities when they care if Worlds goes on or not right now. It's not THAT important. Have it a month from now.

marbri
03-12-2011, 07:11 PM

:respec:

BelleBway
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
A month or six months from now, tourism may be a good money-raiser. While people are still digging out, looking for bodies, and deciding what to do about a meltdown, having a bunch of tourists underfoot is really not going to be all that helpful.

I would agree with this line of reasoning if there was an active recovery effort in the immediate area of a proposed event. I can't see the recovery efforts being much affected by whether or not there are a bunch of tourists in Tokyo/Kyoto/Fukuoka/etc. OTOH, tourist contributions to a country's economy are always a good thing.

Forget posters bickering, I question anyone's priorities when they care if Worlds goes on or not right now. It's not THAT important. Have it a month from now.

It's easy to say to have it a month from now- but will the arena be available? Will the official hotel still have a large block of rooms available? What about the competitors/coaches/officials and their schedules? While I don't think any of these issues should take priority over safety, I do think that the logistics involved in changing the location and/or timing of a major event are complicated enough that they require more analysis than just saying "oh have it another time" I trust that the ISU and JSF are considering all these issues and more, as well as looking at the conditions in and around Tokyo.

If I had tickets for Worlds, I'd still go too.

numbers123
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
yukster - I am so sorry, those pictures are :fragile: And I do feel deeply for the people of the most greatly affected areas and for the rest of Japan who are in shock/mourning.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. A quick literature search can give me numerous published papers on low dose gamma radiation having a plethora of biological effects. Moreover, there is much we still don't know, and the lack of strong, high-quality evidence for damage is NOT the same as proof of not causing biological damage. That is a basic scientific concept, isn't it? :confused:
A better way to address the concerns around extremely low doses of specific radiation in their potential for harm is actually to suggest that our daily exposure to environmental radiation and other carcinogens (in our food, air, etc.) has a far greater impact on our health.

dear ms. almost dr.punkprincess - there is always numerous published research and unless you throughly read the article/research you do not know their study design, the number of study participants, the begining assumption statement of knowledge and what they hope to prove or disprove and any recommendations for practice. And what is the reliability of those journals that the studies were published in and who were the editorial reviewing board members. Just because it is published doesn't mean it is reliable.

I am hopefully not frightening anybody, just trying to set things straight, although I will definitely concede we didn't get too many hours learning about radiation therapy.
Like 5th grade plate tectonics which explains why people in Tokyo were still nervous and a little panicked (according to at least one of the members here) and are slowly getting back to their daily life.
Snip..
I guess I am just a scaredy-cat.
I disagree - you are bent on scaring people and not on setting things straight.
Are you in Tokyo - if so are you nervous and panicked about the situation? And slowly getting back to daily life - it was what 24-36 hours?
I feel deeply for the member of FSU who does live in Tokyo and experiencing what she/he is feeling. That is natural, feeling nervous and panicked after any major event.
Yes you seem to be a scaredy-cat and want to project your feelings to everyone with information you skim from lit searches.

I think you're being a little insensitive. Maybe you would feel differently if you were in Japan. Do you think just New York was scared after 9/11? No, the entire country was very frightened.

Agreed about the living in Japan - experiences are different. But I was not frightened and while not in New York or the East Coast, I live very close to the SAC command center - you know the one where Bush was wisked to? One that most of the world who would consider an attack against the US would hit knowing that it would be the center to wisk the president to. Very frighten? don't know that I was, concerned yes. But it is something I lived with since 1953. Earthquakes are part of a risk living on any fault line. But guess what, even in the middle of Nebraska, USA I live on a fault line - not just a very active one.

I think the 9/11 example is a little different. It was terrorism, so the whole country was worried. Here we are talking about a natural disaster (more like Katrina) which is localized.
Natural disasters are that, natural disasters. So a natural disaster is confined to Japan right now - no? If it is moved to any other venue or canceled it will prevent any natural disasters occuring? Where is anyone safe from a natural disaster?

I've already stopped. Address your issues to the others who won't relent on the subject and who wish to characterize others with different opinions and attitudes as "uneducated." There are valid reasons to always take current scientific knowledge and practices with a grain of salt.

Once you brought up all your concerns/and on-going crap about somone not knowing something that you obviously know better than anyone else, you bring to validation to those who are panicked. "Experts" like you are the ones that the news corporations ar bringing in - people who want to provide panic vs. those who are moderate and providing actual practice information.

I am old. I studied the effects of radiation on the people of Japan when we did not know what damage a nuclear explosion/bomb would do. I was a young mother when Chernbyl happened, my sister has worked in nuclear power plants as an engineer for 33 years. As rfisher has noted, the Japanese government has been more forthcoming with information than others. Japan has had some of the worst experiences with radiation exposure ever, not because of nuclear power plants but because of other factors inflicted on them. They are being extremely cautious with their evacuation plans and administration of iodine probably because of that memory of the other attacks.

My heart and prayers go out to the people of Japan and in particular the areas that are affected with the most unbelievable pain

l'etoile
03-12-2011, 07:21 PM

good point in good timing.

WhatsUpDoc
03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Although the pictures look like total disaster, if there is any country in the world who can deal with a disaster like this, it is Japan. Even if the reactors start leaking, the Japanese have the intelligence and organization to handle things, likely better than any other country on the planet. Had the same thing happened in the USA, particularly around nuclear reactors, I'm not sure I would feel so confident.

SwingDancer
03-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Silly question: Is it not possible the Japanese federation and ISU may no longer even have a say, as the Japanese government might well say NOT NOW, SORRY? They do have bigger things to worry about than one sporting event and the last thing they need are people coming into the country if they're not there to help.

I have to agree given the reports I have heard from the Israeli relief workers on the ground, I have to say that given the astronomical destruction that this earthquake has caused, the government should step in and put thier foot down and and say NO to the ISU.