PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Jenna
03-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Never said he didn't have a right to. Just that it was not appropriate.

Again, Amodio and co are 1000km away from Tokyo. And the nuclear power station in question is a further 300km away. The Japanese government would be evacuating Tokyo if there was any fear of nuclear radiation and they are not. And Amodio is in Fukuoka which is 1000km away.

If I was standing in front of him and he said those things he posted on Twitter he'd get a right rollicking from me for being a thoughtless, self-centred twit. :mad:

I think you're being a little insensitive. Maybe you would feel differently if you were in Japan. Do you think just New York was scared after 9/11? No, the entire country was very frightened. Just because he is 1000km away from the accident doesn't mean he cannot be frightened for himself and for the victims.

Vash01
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Punkprincess,

First, congratulations on finishing your degree/defending your thesis. I know it is very satisfying and you should be proud.

That said,...............

I have followed the discussions between you and others who have apparently worked in the field for many years and were trying to share their knowledge, so that posters here won't panic. Quite frankly, you came across as wanting to show how educated you are, and how much smarter you are than others. It does not hurt to be humble. I have a PhD too (finished long ago), but it doesn't mean I know more than the experts that have worked for years in other fields, no matter how much studying I did on my own (talking in general terms, not specifically radiation). I am the first to admit that I know almost nothing about radiation, and hundreds of other topics, and I rely on the expert knowledge of others.

So let us get back to sympathizing with Japan, worrying about what's happening there, debating over the world championships (to hold them or not), and sharing information, in a respectful way.

danceronice
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Silly question: Is it not possible the Japanese federation and ISU may no longer even have a say, as the Japanese government might well say NOT NOW, SORRY? They do have bigger things to worry about than one sporting event and the last thing they need are people coming into the country if they're not there to help.

rfisher
03-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I think you're being a little insensitive. Maybe you would feel differently if you were in Japan. Do you think just New York was scared after 9/11? No, the entire country was very frightened. Just because he is 1000km away from the accident doesn't mean he cannot be frightened for himself and for the victims.

Ya know, if they decide to continue with the comp and he chooses not to participate, that's his choice. I didn't read that the French fed was bringing Joubert home or the pair, dance or women, so it must be him.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Ya know, if they decide to continue with the comp and he chooses not to participate, that's his choice. I didn't read that the French fed was bringing Joubert home or the pair, dance or women, so it must be him.

Maybe because they haven't left for Japan yet ?

And I think it has more to do with what the french government is asking than with what the FFSG can ask ...

rfisher
03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Silly question: Is it not possible the Japanese federation and ISU may no longer even have a say, as the Japanese government might well say NOT NOW, SORRY? They do have bigger things to worry about than one sporting event and the last thing they need are people coming into the country if they're not there to help.

All the tour companies have said they're carrying on as usual. I haven't seen that the government has shut down the airport to incoming commercial flights. Why would the government want to keep people out of areas not impacted by the quake?

Vash01
03-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I think the 9/11 example is a little different. It was terrorism, so the whole country was worried. Here we are talking about a natural disaster (more like Katrina) which is localized. I can understand fears about radiation, but if it was that dangerous to be anywhere in that country, I am sure we would have seen more warnings (perhaps like don't enter Japan). On an individual basis, one can feel fear, even without adequate cause, so it's up to that individual to take the action, but it does not need to apply to a majority. JMO.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
My bad : http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2011/20110312_182100_amodio-rapatrie.html
It's the french federation decision.

yukster
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Simply, this thread was started to discuss what would happen to the Worlds now (there is another thread about the earthquake without mention of figure skating.) That's why people are discussing whether it is safe and appropriate to hold the championships in Tokyo, among other things. I hope those in Japan don't take this as lack of respect.

I don't. :)

In spite of their regular snarkiness, FSUers are always thoughtful and compassionate in times of adversity like this...
Thank you for your concern and kind words, everyone! I hope I can get a hold of my friends and relatives in Miyagi & Fukushima soon and reach my family again to know how they are doing. :)

And thank you for MarieM and rfisher for sharing your knowledge.
I don't know much about nuclear reactor and can't say much, but I just don't want people to get false information or to overreact....
I think Japanese govt. and media, esp. NHK, are doing a good job giving us correct information, not trying to hide anything or distort information or anything... ( not that any posters here are implying that, of course )

As for hosting the worlds in Tokyo, I'll wait and see what JSF decides to do. :)
Even though Tokyo is getting pretty much back to normal now, I understand some people incl. skaters will be worried about aftershocks and all...

allezfred
03-12-2011, 06:36 PM

I've lived in Japan. I was in Japan in 1995 50km away from the epicentre of the Great Hanshin earthquake when it happened. It shook so hard that some people in the city I lived died from heart attacks. That is scary, but not nearly as scary as for the 6000 people who died and 100,000s of who were left homeless.

If somebody who was 1000km away from where I was at that time had told me how :drama: scared they were, I would have slapped them.

oleada
03-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Yukster - I truly hope you can reach them. Best wishes!

Celine82
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

OMG, that video... :( :( :(
Can you imagine being up there on the hill and seeing your village being swept away like that, not knowing who was still down there?... brrrr...

(((((yukster))))) I hope you'll hear from your relatives and friends in the area soon.

I've heard that the nuclear plants that shut down during the earthquake produce about 18% of the power used in Japan and that's why the autorities were asking people to reduce their power consumption as much as possible (as some posters have mentionned, turning off TVs and such). Is that information true? Is there a risk of shortage? Because I think this could be a concern to organize Worlds... (not that I care, at this point, if Worlds happen or not)

And euronews is starting its sports news with Worlds, wondering if they will go on as planned or not. No new information, but they hardly ever mention figure skating (and today being Saturday, there are lots of sports news to report).

Willowway
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I am reserving my opinion on cancellation because I simply don't (and won't) have enough facts to make any assessment. However, it's very possible that competitors that are not in country yet won't get there on time - that's one problem. Another one is that Japan's nuclear energy facilities are programmed to go off-line at a certain threshhold of quake or aftershock. It's altogether possible that electrical interruptions could be significant and repeated if the aftershocks remain significant (which is very possible) for a while. And I'm sure there are many more and could be many more practical, logistical problems to staging the competition. We'll see...

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Punkprincess,

First, congratulations on finishing your degree/defending your thesis. I know it is very satisfying and you should be proud.

That said,...............

I have followed the discussions between you and others who have apparently worked in the field for many years and were trying to share their knowledge, so that posters here won't panic. Quite frankly, you came across as wanting to show how educated you are, and how much smarter you are than others. It does not hurt to be humble. I have a PhD too (finished long ago), but it doesn't mean I know more than the experts that have worked for years in other fields, no matter how much studying I did on my own (talking in general terms, not specifically radiation). I am the first to admit that I know almost nothing about radiation, and hundreds of other topics, and I rely on the expert knowledge of others.

So let us get back to sympathizing with Japan, worrying about what's happening there, debating over the world championships (to hold them or not), and sharing information, in a respectful way.I've already stopped. Address your issues to the others who won't relent on the subject and who wish to characterize others with different opinions and attitudes as "uneducated." There are valid reasons to always take current scientific knowledge and practices with a grain of salt.

allezfred
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Apart from the human cost, the economic cost of this disaster is huge, so on the contrary, the more foreigners who go to Japan (besides Tohoku) to spend money the better.