PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

oleada
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Okay, thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

I don't agree, though, that it would be selfish for the JSF to decide to hold Worlds, if that's what they believe is best. It is not for us to decide how they should feel or what they think is best. I assume the JSF and the Japanese government (who are mentioned to be involved in the decision) would take this lightly.

Rafter
03-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Question about Japan TV and Worlds. Is NHK the host broadcaster? Will they even be willing to broadcast worlds in Japan over updates of this tragedy?

IceIceBaby
03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
When you have a safe place to return to and are in a safe place yourself nowhere near where others have suffered huge losses, you keep your fears to yourself out of respect for them, in my opinion.

:confused: Of course Amodio has a right to post about his feelings on his personal Facebook or Twitter. Maybe the telephone lines aren't working properly there and this is the only way to communicate with his family and friends at home? I understand that he is scared, especially because of the possible nuclear radiation.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Question about Japan TV and Worlds. Is NHK the host broadcaster? Will they even be willing to broadcast worlds in Japan over updates of this tragedy?

I believe Fuji TV is the host broadcaster.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
International Figure Skating just posted on FB: "Heard from Daisuke Takahashi's manager this morning that he, Daisuke and Shizuka Arakawa are all fine." I knew Arakawa was OK but hadn't heard anything specific about Daisuke yet.

Shiz grew up in Sendai. This must be very hard for her, seeing her childhood home destroyed. I wonder if there is any personal tragedy for her. :( My thoughts with her at the moment.

(Incidentally, Sendai is a really nice place; I've been twice. It's a very manageable, clean, pleasant city, without the crazy density of Tokyo or Osaka for example - very livable. It's by the sea and has lovely fresh air, and the thing I remember most about is the how green it is; trees EVERYWHERE, even right in the centre of town by all the shops, offices, high rises etc. Its got a very "natural" feel to it. Really beautiful and refreshing for a big city. I hope it can recover. :( )

Sendai (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Sendai_city_-_Hirose_river_2005_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sendai_city_-_Hirose_river_2005_.jpg&usg=__gTABxtfaj6rXbva0TRloXnNkVec=&h=819&w=1091&sz=302&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=7bFVnZbRm4e0eM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=166&ei=5rd7TeTkEYHKhAfl4eHwBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSendai%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D566%26tbs%3Disch: 1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=308&vpy=118&dur=1200&hovh=128&hovw=171&tx=171&ty=112&oei=5rd7TeTkEYHKhAfl4eHwBg&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0)

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 06:12 PM
How good for you. I didn't say gamma radiation doesn't cause biological damage. Any radiation can do that. UV radiation from the sun causes damage. What I said is that it's a high energy radiation that is more likely to pass through without being absorbed. Especially in this circumstance. How clever of you to find the linear no threshold information, although you should have read more and you'll find there's also nonlinear, nonthreshold responses, linear threshold responses and some conditions may exhibit both. I deliberately didn't start throwing out a lot of detailed factoids that require even more explanation. But, perhaps since you're almost a PhD you'll be happy to do that. And, since you said you're in a MD/PhD program, I'll bet my vcash your classes on radiation are minimal. First year radiology residents don't know squat about radiation biology. But, I'm certain you're precocious and have studied material not in your program. Do continue to enlighten and frighten everybody with your knowledge.
I am hopefully not frightening anybody, just trying to set things straight, although I will definitely concede we didn't get too many hours learning about radiation therapy. See my other post. I've also already defended my thesis, which got published last summer, so I am technically Dr. PUNKPRINCESS already. :D

And I have studied things outside my most immediate program. Like 5th grade plate tectonics which explains why people in Tokyo were still nervous and a little panicked (according to at least one of the members here) and are slowly getting back to their daily life. The whole of Japan is situated near a major tectonic zone, so I don't fault foreign travelers and skaters like Amodio who are wary. If there is shifting in one area, there could very well be related shifting near other parts of the country (as has already happened, near Nagano.) I guess I am just a scaredy-cat.

I do hope that the WC this year will still happen in Tokyo, though. Somehow I imagine it being more hurtful to the nation's psyche for it to not happen, and I believe that Japan will be able to manage. I am sorry for those who have been directly affected and who would find it hurtful. I'm not trying to dictate what the Japanese should/shouldn't do, I'm just making my best guess, and I think more Japanese would find the event a morale booster.

bek
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I have worked at many competitions, including the 2009 Worlds here in Los Angeles. I personally don't feel that Japan needs the added pressure and challenges of this competition, right now, given what the country is going through

While worlds is a big event, I'm not sure in the grand scheme of events its that hard to manage/held. I mean its not the Olympics, where you have multiple events, venues, sports. Worlds may have seemed a big deal to you, but how many people in LA even knew it was happening? Toyko is a world class city, use to handling huge events.

There is precedent, the 2001 JGP in Scottsdale, AZ was delayed one year due to the events of 9/11.

I hardly doubt millions of dollars went into planning the 2001 JGP in Arizona. I don't think that results of that event affected major things for next year in skating either. If this was a minor event, perhaps it would be cancelled.

But here's the thing how does the Japanese federation, losing millions help the victims? How does the hotel people losing tourists, help the victims? And here's another question if this earthquake had happened in Indonesia, would you be saying it was disrespectful to have the event because all of those Indonesians died?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not at all pressuring the Japanese fed, should hold worlds. If the Japanese federation has to cancel it, they have more full support. Even if its just because the nation isn't in the mood. But I find the concept that the only way to respect the victims is to cancel the event to be wrong.

mmot
03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I appreciate differences in opinions and usually find interesting to have a passionate debate, but I now find reading those arguments contain unnecessary agro and personal attack nothing but upsetting, no matter how interesting and educational subjects are, at a time like this.

May I please ask people to calm down a little? The information I receive from Japan (my own country) is upsetting enough. And at the same time, please let me thank all the posters who express their warm and kind regards and concerns for those suffering right now.

euterpe
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been wondering what about moving it to Nagoya? That's where it was originally planned for right? They hosted NHK and nationals so they can hold major events there and it's further south than Tokyo so things should be even better there. Obviously if they did that it would need to be postponed though...

The problem with holding Worlds in Japan on schedule is transportation. If it's going to take 3 days for Amodio to get out of Fukuoka (which is about as far as it's possible to be away from the earthquake epicenter and still be in Japan), then getting all the necessary officials, skaters, coaches etc. INTO Japan within the next 10 days would seem logistically impossible.

If Japan still wants to host Worlds, then perhaps it would be best to postpone the event for a couple of weeks.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I appreciate differences in opinions and usually find interesting to have a passionate debate, but I now find reading those arguments contain unnecessary agro and personal attack nothing but upsetting, no matter how interesting and educational subjects are, at a time like this.

May I please ask people to calm down a little? The information I receive from Japan (my own country) is upsetting enough. And at the same time, please let me thank all the posters who express their warm and kind regards and concerns for those suffering right now.

I agree. This scientific argument between a few posters needs to stop. It's good we're getting educated in this - thanks to all the posters who clearly know what they're talking about when it comes to this - so let's just keep it as a portrayal of facts, not a "who's right" confrontation.

Cheers.

rfisher
It's driving me mad all those false informations the press is circulating.
Why don't they state that :
the human body = 0.00025x10 − 5 Sv/yr
Cosmic emissions : 0.5 mSv/yr
The earth itself : 0.5 mSv/yr
A watch with light : 0.02 mSv/yr
nuclear power plant : 0.01 mSv/yr

In certain areas of the world, the natural levels are so high compared to what Japan is facing with that accident, that we should assume there is noone living there then : Nepal, north India, Brittany in France, some parts of Ireland, nearly all mountain range areas, South Africa, Australia etc ! Even in Canada !
:cold::scream:

Or be an airline pilot. I love the reaction from our first year students when I tell them how much radiation they get by sleeping with someone.

The media is jumping on this because it sounds really scary and frankly the earthquake and the tsunami are over. Search and rescue is not nearly as exciting for the TV cameras as some talking head announcing there is likely to be a nuclear disaster. They can't keep rolling footage of the wave coming ashore and keep viewers glued to the TV. Producers are salivating hoping their cameras can be the first to get it on tape.

Sigh. We just discussed public response to the threat of radiation in my transcultural healthcare class last week. I'm sad that I'll have more recent events to bring to the discussion next week.

MikiAndoFan#1
(Incidentally, Sendai is a really nice place; I've been twice. It's a very manageable, clean, pleasant city, without the crazy density of Tokyo or Osaka for example - very livable. It's by the sea and has lovely fresh air, and the thing I remember most about is the how green it is; trees EVERYWHERE, even right in the centre of town by all the shops, offices, high rises etc. Its got a very "natural" feel to it. Really beautiful and refreshing for a big city. I hope it can recover. :( )

Sendai (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Sendai_city_-_Hirose_river_2005_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sendai_city_-_Hirose_river_2005_.jpg&usg=__gTABxtfaj6rXbva0TRloXnNkVec=&h=819&w=1091&sz=302&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=7bFVnZbRm4e0eM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=166&ei=5rd7TeTkEYHKhAfl4eHwBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSendai%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D566%26tbs%3Disch: 1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=308&vpy=118&dur=1200&hovh=128&hovw=171&tx=171&ty=112&oei=5rd7TeTkEYHKhAfl4eHwBg&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0)

What a beautiful city. Let's hope it can return to the way it was. :(

senorita
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Agreed. Out of the same respect of victims and their huge losses , also we shouldn't have such intense messages here if Worlds will be held for the last 25 pages neither compare whose nuclear educated level is higher, in my opinion it is more disrespectful than Amodio´s twit or whatever he said..

allezfred
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
:confused: Of course Amodio has a right to post about his feelings on his personal Facebook or Twitter.

Never said he didn't have a right to. Just that it was not appropriate.

Maybe the telephone lines aren't working properly there and this is the only way to communicate with his family and friends at home? I understand that he is scared, especially because of the possible nuclear radiation.

Again, Amodio and co are 1000km away from Tokyo. And the nuclear power station in question is a further 300km away. The Japanese government would be evacuating Tokyo if there was any fear of nuclear radiation and they are not. And Amodio is in Fukuoka which is 1000km away.

If I was standing in front of him and he said those things he posted on Twitter he'd get a right rollicking from me for being a thoughtless, self-centred twit. :mad:

allezfred
03-12-2011, 06:25 PM
The problem with holding Worlds in Japan on schedule is transportation. If it's going to take 3 days for Amodio to get out of Fukuoka (which is about as far as it's possible to be away from the earthquake epicenter and still be in Japan), then getting all the necessary officials, skaters, coaches etc. INTO Japan within the next 10 days would seem logistically impossible.

Everybody going to Japan has their flights booked already and those with confirmed bookings have priority over those whose flights have been cancelled or are trying to have them changed.

Have just been on Narita Airports website and transportation to and from the airport is running as normal. Flights into and out of have resumed.