PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

bek
03-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Asli, if the JF wants to have it, then they are, in my opinion, in the same category as the ISU: ill advised, self centered and not focused on what is important right now. But that is only my not-so-humble opinion.

It's their country and their federation, so it is up to them. On that, we can agree.

How are they ill advised? Posters here are saying the damage to Tokyo was minimal.. The earthquake was 200+ miles away. Please don't get me wrong, I don't know what the conditions are in Tokyo, and obviously if such an event where in anyway to put the skaters in danger, or hamper the relief effort, I'd totally say cancel it. But I'm not sure this is the case.

If the Japanese fed loses the money from this, it could be devestating to their employees and their skaters. I doubt they regard their livelhoods as frivolous.

maggylyn
03-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Annie I could not agree more. Having the World Championships at this time, in Japan, is another example of how the ISU feels "it's all about me" and not to take into account what is best for the athletes, or more importantly, the host country.

Very self centered, very wrong and very said, indeed.

So all the reports on this thread from people who are actually, like, you know, there in Japan, saying Tokyo is fine and getting back to normal life, are the result of heartless selfishness?

All the businesses and schools trying to get back to normal are "all about me" and only about the money?

It is not disrespectful to carry on, if possible, with planned events. If the Japanese Federation says things are fine, IMO all the other Federations can show support by showing up.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 05:46 PM
A Nuclear Physicist, Dr. Lyman, was just interviewed live on CNN. He said that the flooding of the reactor with seawater is most likely a last ditch effort, since such a procedure is not part of any accepted emergency cooling protocol. As such, he believes that there's a good chance that the nuclear fuel casing will eventually be breached.

It is not part of any accepted emergency protocol ???? LOOOOOOOOL.
IT's pretty much why most new reactors are created NEAR the sea !!! Not only is it part of emergency protocols in France, but also in England and Finland. And most espcially in Japan since those protocols originated from ... JAPAN.

As far as the "crayon combustible" is concerned, there is already a known word out that at least 5 of them are breached. Last time it happened was Daya Bay in China 5 or 6 years ago. The only thing it causes is to the primary circuit, and only because of metals being radiated. It is of no or little concern to anyone but the operators.

Punkprincess : wrong again. It's my daily job you know. Letting your dentist do any radio is uncalled for. It's beyong ALARA. And they can't know it since most doctors have ZERO education as far as radiations are concerned.
But anyway, believe what you must. Search the AIEA for reports made last year about TMI, Tchernobyl and Daya Bay. You'll see that what rfisher and I said is just the whole truth.

rfisher
03-12-2011, 05:47 PM
It is misleading and false to say that "gamma radiation does not cause [biological] damage," as in your original statement. You agreed with this. I have a PhD, too (albeit not in radiation biology); I'm in my final year of doing clinical rounds for completion of my MD/PhD and I've had excellent professors who are experts in radiation medicine who would never have stated things the way you did. :)

If you wanted to know the USNRC's stance, here it is:

Since I am under-educated, however, perhaps I should consider abandoning my program and enroll in rfisher's school to become a medical radiation technologist. :rofl:

How good for you. I didn't say gamma radiation doesn't cause biological damage. Any radiation can do that. UV radiation from the sun causes damage. What I said is that it's a high energy radiation that is more likely to pass through without being absorbed. Especially in this circumstance. How clever of you to find the linear no threshold information, although you should have read more and you'll find there's also nonlinear, nonthreshold responses, linear threshold responses and some conditions may exhibit both. I deliberately didn't start throwing out a lot of detailed factoids that require even more explanation. But, perhaps since you're almost a PhD you'll be happy to do that. And, since you said you're in a MD/PhD program, I'll bet my vcash your classes on radiation are minimal. First year radiology residents don't know squat about radiation biology. But, I'm certain you're precocious and have studied material not in your program. Do continue to enlighten and frighten everybody with your knowledge. And I'm positive my second year students have a better knowledge of radiation physics and radiobiology than you do and they aren't almost a MD/PhD. We'll be discussing the impact of people with a little knowledge of radiation and how it affects others on Tuesday. Thanks for the example. :)

senorita
03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Amodio is a drama queen, sure , but all us here that speculate about Worlds like it is even important right now and who is the most educated person here.. we are not.
As far as French Federation, one can be afraid of whavever he wants, if Amodio is scared where he is now,there is nothing to comment about, many people are afraid of earthquakes, even elevators stopping and there is nothing to judge about that. And me being on the other side of the planet now safely writing here I m the last one to have an opinion of where Amodio or whoever being in Japan now feels safe to go just because his training camp is miles away.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I know some people here are saying it would be disrespectful and foolish to not cancel worlds; well, in Tokyo, people are very keen to continue with life as normal; people are getting their hair done, going shopping - my cousin went out tonight for drinks, it being Saturday and all. It's just what you have to do. It doesn't mean they don't care; it's just that Tokyo hasn't been hit and is OK. (Thank god - imagine the scenario had Tokyo, a ridiculously built-up city with a ridiculous number of people, been nearer the epicentre) *If* worlds are cancelled - fine - but it'll be for genuine and literal safety concerns - not out of mourning. That doesn't mean worlds is definitely going ahead - obviously I don't know anything, but it wouldn't ssurprise me either way. All I know is, Japan will want as little disruption to the rest of the country as possible - not because of money, but because this is the best way for a nation to deal with an awful tragedy like this.

Yazmeen
03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Agree with rfisher again. And PunkPrincess, with all due respect to your learning, I think those of us who have actually PRACTICED radiation safety and the principles of ALARA day in and out just might know a bit more than you do, lit search or not.:rolleyes:

crzesk8dad
03-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Selfish, self-centered and ill advised how? Posters here who are from the Tokyo area say that life is heading back to normal. Did life in Atlanta or San Francisco stop after 9/11 or Katrina? It didn't. People went back to work, school, etc. How exactly does holding the world championships affect relief efforts? Tokyo is hundreds of miles away from the epicenter. It would be worse for Japan to lose the economic revenue.

Just my opinion Oleada....just my opinion.

oleada
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Just my opinion Oleada....just my opinion.

I know it is your opinion, but what is the basis for it? That is what I'm asking.

(((yukster))) You and your family are in my thoughts.

allezfred
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Amodio is a drama queen, sure , but all us here that speculate about Worlds like it is even important right now and who is the most educated person here.. we are not.
As far as French Federation, one can be afraid of whavever he wants, if Amodio is scared where he is now,there is nothing to comment about, many people are afraid of earthquakes, even elevators stopping and there is nothing to judge about that. And me being on the other side of the planet now safely writing here I m the last one to have an opinion of where Amodio or whoever being in Japan now feels safe to go just because his training camp is miles away.

When you have a safe place to return to and are in a safe place yourself nowhere near where others have suffered huge losses, you keep your fears to yourself out of respect for them, in my opinion.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 06:01 PM
^

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Karen-W
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
When you have a safe place to return to and are in a safe place yourself nowhere near where others have suffered huge losses, you keep your fears to yourself out of respect for them, in my opinion.

Thank you! Quite well put.

MarieM
How good for you. I didn't say gamma radiation doesn't cause biological damage. Any radiation can do that. UV radiation from the sun causes damage. What I said is that it's a high energy radiation that is more likely to pass through without being absorbed. Especially in this circumstance. How clever of you to find the linear no threshold information, although you should have read more and you'll find there's also nonlinear, nonthreshold responses, linear threshold responses and some conditions may exhibit both. I deliberately didn't start throwing out a lot of detailed factoids that require even more explanation. But, perhaps since you're almost a PhD you'll be happy to do that. And, since you said you're in a MD/PhD program, I'll bet my vcash your classes on radiation are minimal. First year radiology residents don't know squat about radiation biology. But, I'm certain you're precocious and have studied material not in your program. Do continue to enlighten and frighten everybody with your knowledge. And I'm positive my second year students have a better knowledge of radiation physics and radiobiology than you do and they aren't almost a MD/PhD. We'll be discussing the impact of people with a little knowledge of radiation and how it affects others on Tuesday. Thanks for the example. :)

It's driving me mad all those false informations the press is circulating.
Why don't they state that :
the human body = 0.00025x10 − 5 Sv/yr
Cosmic emissions : 0.5 mSv/yr
The earth itself : 0.5 mSv/yr
A watch with light : 0.02 mSv/yr
nuclear power plant : 0.01 mSv/yr

In certain areas of the world, the natural levels are so high compared to what Japan is facing with that accident, that we should assume there is noone living there then : Nepal, north India, Brittany in France, some parts of Ireland, nearly all mountain range areas, South Africa, Australia etc ! Even in Canada !
:cold::scream:

crzesk8dad
I know it is your opinion, but what is the basis for it? That is what I'm asking.

The basis is that I, personally, have been through events similar to these, not to the degree that these folks are going through in Japan, but still life changing, overwhelming events. Additionally, I have worked at many competitions, including the 2009 Worlds here in Los Angeles. I personally don't feel that Japan needs the added pressure and challenges of this competition, right now, given what the country is going through.

I also feel it is in bad taste..this morning a town of 18000 people is missing half of its residents, possibly due the tsunami. Is a figure skating competition really a priority? I think that the ISU would be taking the higher road if they said, let's delay things or move it. There is precedent, the 2001 JGP in Scottsdale, AZ was delayed one year due to the events of 9/11.

If the JF wants to have it, it's their decision. But, if it was my decision, I'd postpone or move it. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Unfortunately, the expression of free opinion is not always welcome on FSU, but it is fun to see the reactions. :2faced:

maclou
03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Honestly at first I thought it was totally possible for Tokyo to host worlds after the earthquake, sure there are aftershocks but in Japan there is always the danger of quakes and most of the major damage was done far from Tokyo. But the nuclear thing is really worrying, I'll admit that I don't know the first thing about this stuff but I personally would not to be anywhere near a nuclear event even if it was 200 miles away! So I would not at all blame skaters for not wanting to go or federations for not wanting to send them. However I do think it is a bit silly for the French fed to be pulling their skaters out right now, they're already there and far away from what is happening so they should at least wait until worlds is officially cancelled or postponed to do that.

I've been wondering what about moving it to Nagoya? That's where it was originally planned for right? They hosted NHK and nationals so they can hold major events there and it's further south than Tokyo so things should be even better there. Obviously if they did that it would need to be postponed though...