PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

oleada
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Seriously, if the JSF decides that they are up to hosting Worlds, then who are we to say they shouldn't? It's less than 48 hours after the earthquake; too soon to make a decision.

Imperfect Edge
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Presumably it will largely be down to the Japanese federation to decide and ISU will follow their advice? And Japan itself is surely best placed to decide what is best for the country/skaters, and who are we to argue with their decision.

victoriajh
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I Think as a matter of decency to the thousands who have lost lives......the huge number who have lost loved ones....and as a show of honor and respect to the entire country Worlds should simply be canceled. Come on guys it is figure skating not world peace.

I know the athletes..blah..blah.....and I reallywant to see the comp....iwant to see in v/m will skate....how wii Alyssa do?

But really? Are we serious? I would like to see every resource that would have been used for Worlds....every seat on a plane..every room in a hotel...every pair of helping hands..every dollar that would have been spent...put toward the relief and re building efforts.

I agree- but who are we really? the jsf and the isu will make the call- however i wonder if federations start recallling and not sending skaters will that influence the decision? either way it will be hard fro japan- to have it during this time of crisis or to not have it and they will feel sad about that as well.... i guess we wait-

maggylyn
03-12-2011, 05:13 PM
:rofl: Since I teach radiobiology to my students, I think my credentials are quite sufficient. Go find your own sites. I suggest you go to the Nuclear Energy Commission sites first. The you can try the Nuclear Regulatory Commission sites both the US and the INRC. They have a lot of info on radiation dose. Then you might try a basic radiation physics site to learn a bit about gamma radiation. Why yes we do use that in radiation oncology, albeit in doses that exceed what is being produced at that plant by over a million times. :rofl: And, I think I'm quite competent in understanding radiation physics. I teach that as well. I'll put my PhD against your wikipedia anyday. I'm the program director of a large medical imaging school, have certifications in radiography, computed tomography, cardiovascular imaging, and MRI. Need more?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rfisher again.

:cool:

Asli
03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Annie I could not agree more. Having the World Championships at this time, in Japan, is another example of how the ISU feels "it's all about me" and not to take into account what is best for the athletes, or more importantly, the host country.

How do you know that it is not the Japanese Federation who wants to go ahead with the championships? After all, they are the ones who will face a financial disaster and a huge disappointment if the Worlds go elsewhere. In any case, none of the Japanese posters here has posted that they should be cancelled.

oleada
03-12-2011, 05:16 PM
How do you know that it is not the Japanese Federation who wants to go ahead with the championships? After all, they are the ones who will face a financial disaster and a huge disappointment if the Worlds go elsewhere. In any case, none of the Japanese posters here has posted that they should be cancelled.

You must spread some reputation before giving it to Asli again.

Asli
03-12-2011, 05:16 PM
And BTW, the incident is now 4/7.

Oh good! Keep the news coming.

CynicElle
03-12-2011, 05:18 PM
International Figure Skating just posted on FB: "Heard from Daisuke Takahashi's manager this morning that he, Daisuke and Shizuka Arakawa are all fine." I knew Arakawa was OK but hadn't heard anything specific about Daisuke yet.

sjs5572
03-12-2011, 05:21 PM
A Nuclear Physicist, Dr. Lyman, was just interviewed live on CNN. He said that the flooding of the reactor with seawater is most likely a last ditch effort, since such a procedure is not part of any accepted emergency cooling protocol. As such, he believes that there's a good chance that the nuclear fuel casing will eventually be breached.

allezfred
03-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Florent Amodio have been told to come home by the French Federation and the government. He flies back home from Tokyo tomorrow, as does Kim Lucine.
I'm glad health and safety is being put before medals and glory!

Sorry, but I think the FFSG is overreacting. Amodio and Lucine are in Fukuoka which is closer to Korea than Tokyo. If they fly via Tokyo they are actually going closer to where the earthquake happened not further away.

Amodio tweeted 4 hours ago: "Feel little bit afraid to be in Japan."

Fukuoka is 1,000km from Tokyo. There weren't any tremors there. I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that a figure skater is a drama queen, but really. :rolleyes:

crzesk8dad
03-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Asli, if the JF wants to have it, then they are, in my opinion, in the same category as the ISU: ill advised, self centered and not focused on what is important right now. But that is only my not-so-humble opinion.

It's their country and their federation, so it is up to them. On that, we can agree.

Vash01
03-12-2011, 05:24 PM
And for those who want to be educated, 70.6 microSeiverts/hour is an extremely low dose of radiation and someone would have to stand in it for days to have a health issue. This is less dose than a chest x-ray. The type of radiation produced in a nuclear plant is gamma radiation which is a high energy photon and will pass through most objects without causing damage.

RFisher, thank you for all the information you have been posting. It has been very educational. One can never be too educated to learn new things, and I thank you for contributing to my knowledge.

ETA: Thanks to MarieM too for sharing her knowledge.

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 05:27 PM
:confused: It so uncalled for.
At low rates, it is true to state that gamma radiation does not cause biological damage. Say whatever you will, but it has been proven by more than 75 years of monitoring low rates radiation exposition throughout the world.
Sorry, but that is just wrong. A quick literature search can give me numerous published papers on low dose gamma radiation having a plethora of biological effects. Moreover, there is much we still don't know, and the lack of strong, high-quality evidence for damage is NOT the same as proof of not causing biological damage. That is a basic scientific concept, isn't it? :confused:

Check the AIEA.org website to educate yourself.
This is why the laws concerning workers under radiation are using the ALARA principle. We know for sure that at low rates, we don't expose them to damagable levels. (PUNKPRINCESS says: Um, no you don't.)
I don't know elsewhere, but in Europe, you have to submit yourself at least once a year to do a complete checkup, meaning the first thing they monitore is your blood formula.
I have been exposed for the last ten years to low rates radiations. And part of my job is to stop people uneducated to state things as wrong as you do. It still unerves me to read such things.
I am sure your dentist is doing radios all other your teeth. You know what ? This is what is most dangerous for you : high rates radiation integrated in only seconds. This is what causes cellular damages. Sue your dentist.
The whole point of the ALARA principle is to minimize exposure--NOT because at those low doses and short intervals of exposure there is PROOF of lack of damage--but it confirms the idea that no dose of exposure can be considered safe. Please, educate yourself not by pointing me to specific sources that you like to use as references (as in rfisher's case, where a suggested website ran contrary to his/her view), but by thinking about the issue. A better way to address the concerns around extremely low doses of specific radiation in their potential for harm is actually to suggest that our daily exposure to environmental radiation and other carcinogens (in our food, air, etc.) has a far greater impact on our health.

Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures that use radiation are based on principle that the demonstrable benefits far outweigh the potential for harm. So, no, I'm not suing my dentist, which is another poorly thought-out idea.

oleada
03-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Asli, if the JF wants to have it, then they are, in my opinion, in the same category as the ISU: ill advised, self centered and not focused on what is important right now. But that is only my not-so-humble opinion.

It's their country and their federation, so it is up to them. On that, we can agree.

Selfish, self-centered and ill advised how? Posters here who are from the Tokyo area say that life is heading back to normal. Did life in Atlanta or San Francisco stop after 9/11 or Katrina? It didn't. People went back to work, school, etc. How exactly does holding the world championships affect relief efforts? Tokyo is hundreds of miles away from the epicenter. It would be worse for Japan to lose the economic revenue.

Vash01
03-12-2011, 05:32 PM

I think the JSF has a clearer picture of what's happening in their country and they, along with the ISU are in a better position to make an educated, informed decision about worlds.

I also think (though I have no basis for this) that the ISU must have a backup plan for worlds every year, because unexpected things do happen. For the Olympics there is always a backup plan, from what I have gathered. The ISU and the JSF can decide whether to hold worlds in Japan or elsewhere, or simply cancel it.

I know we are all concerned for Japan and for the skaters that have been preparing for worlds. It's easy to get emotional over this. Let the organizations in charge make the decision. Whether we agree with it or not, it is their decision, and we can accept it either gracefully or otherwise. If they decide to go ahead with the event in Tokyo, it does not mean that they did not care about the people of Japan, but that there were other overriding factors.