PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Simone411
03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
(((yukster))) Keeping you, family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

DinDonShamu
03-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

Minami-Sanriku is such a quiet, beautiful town by the sea... approx. 10,000 people are missing.. that is more than half of the whole town's population ( about 18,000 ) :(

After following the news the entire last night, I woke up from a terrible dream ... And then I logged in and saw this ... People who skipped to the last 20 seconds of the video would never believe for dear life that there had been a town once upon a time beside the hill. Over 10000 missing? I hope they're just out of town and lost contact or something :(

Made my donations yesterday, a very meager and insignificant amount. Heck even if I gave away everything I owned, it will still be pathetically insignificant.

Asli
03-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Such a terrible disaster. My thoughts and prayers go to all affected. I know this is a skating forum but we should be compassionate human beings first. A sporting event (as much as I want to watch it) should never be put ahead of everyones safety!!!

Noone has said that a skating event should be put ahead of everyone's safety and I don't see lack of compassion in any of the posts. Of course what happens to the Worlds is completely insignificant compared to the loss of life and the destruction of the homes of so many people. :(

Simply, this thread was started to discuss what would happen to the Worlds now (there is another thread about the earthquake without mention of figure skating.) That's why people are discussing whether it is safe and appropriate to hold the championships in Tokyo, among other things. I hope those in Japan don't take this as lack of respect.

Gidget
03-12-2011, 04:24 PM
So I have a question. With competition scheduled to start in nine days or so, how long can the ISU realistically wait before letting the skaters know whether the competition is still going or not?

I suspect that a decision will have to be made by Monday or Tuesday to realistically get everyone and everything into place in time for competition to begin on the 20th. Flight schedules are going to be disrupted as it is, so they will have to make a decision as early as possible for all of the reasons you mentioned.

That said, if the nuclear reactor situation is stable, I imagine that the ISU and JSF will move forward with the competition. The financial losses would be gigantic if they were to cancel.

let`s talk
03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=523434.html
:(

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 04:48 PM
:rofl: Since I teach radiobiology to my students, I think my credentials are quite sufficient. Go find your own sites. I suggest you go to the Nuclear Energy Commission sites first. The you can try the Nuclear Regulatory Commission sites both the US and the INRC. They have a lot of info on radiation dose. Then you might try a basic radiation physics site to learn a bit about gamma radiation. Why yes we do use that in radiation oncology, albeit in doses that exceed what is being produced at that plant by over a million times. :rofl: And, I think I'm quite competent in understanding radiation physics. I teach that as well. I'll put my PhD against your wikipedia anyday. I'm the program director of a large medical imaging school, have certifications in radiography, computed tomography, cardiovascular imaging, and MRI. Need more?It is misleading and false to say that "gamma radiation does not cause [biological] damage," as in your original statement. You agreed with this. I have a PhD, too (albeit not in radiation biology); I'm in my final year of doing clinical rounds for completion of my MD/PhD and I've had excellent professors who are experts in radiation medicine who would never have stated things the way you did. :)

If you wanted to know the USNRC's stance, here it is:

General consensus among experts is that some radiation risks are related to radiation dose by a linear, no-threshold model. This model is accepted by the NRC.

LINEAR - An increase in dose results in a proportional increase in risk
NO-THRESHOLD - Any dose, no matter how small, produces some risk

There is no dose of radiation so small that it will not have some effect.
Since I am under-educated, however, perhaps I should consider abandoning my program and enroll in rfisher's school to become a medical radiation technologist. :rofl:

AxelAnnie
03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
I Think as a matter of decency to the thousands who have lost lives......the huge number who have lost loved ones....and as a show of honor and respect to the entire country Worlds should simply be canceled. Come on guys it is figure skating not world peace.

I know the athletes..blah..blah.....and I reallywant to see the comp....iwant to see in v/m will skate....how wii Alyssa do?

But really? Are we serious? I would like to see every resource that would have been used for Worlds....every seat on a plane..every room in a hotel...every pair of helping hands..every dollar that would have been spent...put toward the relief and re building efforts.

Aceon6
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I agree with the advice upthread about taking most information on this from NHK and not other sources. From what NHK is reporting, it's no where near Chernobyl level.

Our local radio guy went on and on about radiation exposure, with zero understanding of how badge tags work or how they're measuring at the site. He basically freaked everyone out over exposure that is considered concerning, but not at the levels that someone might get radiation sickness.

lowtherlore
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I feel now it’s practically impossible to hold the Worlds in Tokyo as scheduled, and ISU should be considering alternatives now.

I think the venue itself – Tokyo – would be in fair shape logistically to accommodate the event, barring further damages to it from the aftershocks. But, although the quake didn’t directly hit the big metropolitan areas, the tsunamis fatally affected vast areas along the northeastern coast and the actual casualties might be much, much higher than the latest estimates by the Japanese media and the government. This could turn out to be a far greater catastrophe than something like Katarina.

More importantly, in addition to the immediately present hazard to the athletes from the possible aftershocks, it seems radiation exposure has now become a known and fairly predictable hazard to the athletes. Although experts say a Chernobyl-type disaster is almost impossible to happen at the Fukushima plants, there are certain facts to be considered regarding the nuke plant situation today: (1) some trace of radioactive cesium and iodine was detected around the plant before today’s explosion, which experts say are the indications of nuclear fuel rod melting; (2) there was high level of radioactivity before and after the explosion; (3) the Japanese authority failed to act promptly in the first phase of the crisis and allowed almost a half of the fuel rod exposed bare of coolant; (4) there were at least three cases of radiation exposure cases today among the residents nearby and there could be more; (5) although it could have been a precautionary measure, Japanese authority has expanded the evacuation area from 3km radius to 50km radius within a day; (6) all of these are reported and known facts to the public by now, and it can be expected that the risk of radiation exposure is present over a wide area.

Considering these, I wonder whether the federations and the hosting organizations – ISU and JSF – could afford exposing themselves, for an indefinite period of time, to certain litigation risks for whatever aftereffects that might be suffered, or claimed to be suffered, by the participating athletes. I think nobody, including the Japanese, knows how much radiation hazards are actually there or how much radioactive substances were spewed out so far, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some federations, especially of those from the litigious societies like the US, end up not sending their delegations, if the Worlds is to happen as scheduled.

l'etoile
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I Think as a matter of decency to the thousands who have lost lives......the huge number who have lost loved ones....and as a show of honor and respect to the entire country Worlds should simply be canceled. Come on guys it is figure skating not world peace.

I know the athletes..blah..blah.....and I reallywant to see the comp....iwant to see in v/m will skate....how wii Alyssa do?

But really? Are we serious? I would like to see every resource that would have been used for Worlds....every seat on a plane..every room in a hotel...every pair of helping hands..every dollar that would have been spent...put toward the relief and re building efforts.

indeed!

crzesk8dad
03-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Annie I could not agree more. Having the World Championships at this time, in Japan, is another example of how the ISU feels "it's all about me" and not to take into account what is best for the athletes, or more importantly, the host country.

Very self centered, very wrong and very said, indeed.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
It is misleading and false to say that "gamma radiation does not cause [biological] damage," as in your original statement. You agreed with this. I have a PhD, too (albeit not in radiation biology); I'm in my final year of doing clinical rounds for completion of my MD/PhD and I've had excellent professors who are experts in radiation medicine who would never have stated things the way you did. :)
:confused: It so uncalled for.

At low rates, it is true to state that gamma radiation does not cause biological damage. Say whatever you will, but it has been proven by more than 75 years of monitoring low rates radiation exposition throughout the world. Check the AIEA.org website to educate yourself.
This is why the laws concerning workers under radiation are using the ALARA principle. We know for sure that at low rates, we don't expose them to damagable levels.
I don't know elsewhere, but in Europe, you have to submit yourself at least once a year to do a complete checkup, meaning the first thing they monitore is your blood formula.
I have been exposed for the last ten years to low rates radiations. And part of my job is to stop people uneducated to state things as wrong as you do. It still unerves me to read such things.
I am sure your dentist is doing radios all other your teeth. You know what ? This is what is most dangerous for you : high rates radiation integrated in only seconds. This is what causes cellular damages. Sue your dentist.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM
And BTW, the incident is now 4/7.

laceup
03-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I totally agree!

victoriajh
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

Minami-Sanriku is such a quiet, beautiful town by the sea... approx. 10,000 people are missing.. that is more than half of the whole town's population ( about 18,000 ) :(

wow that video is so telling- if houses and such are torn apart how can people survive?- yukster- my thoughts are with you and your family and friends- thank you for your updates