PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

loulou
03-12-2011, 03:12 PM
France (Amodio) and Monaco (Kim Lucine) are the first 2, AFAIK.

Thank you.
I guess most of the other federations don't have their skaters there yet, so they wouldn't be calling them home either.

----

It's really hard to say what the japan federation should do.
It would be ideal for the japanese people to decide. But that would be next to impossible to realize, organization wise.
Plus, they should be able to decide after being fully informed and educated. Another difficult task.

I guess we can only hope decisions will be made taking into account first safety and the needs of those who are in this weak, for one reason or another.

yukster
03-12-2011, 03:14 PM
News now announcing that over 9,500 people missing in port of Minamisanriku...

Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

Minami-Sanriku is such a quiet, beautiful town by the sea... approx. 10,000 people are missing.. that is more than half of the whole town's population ( about 18,000 ) :(

GarrAarghHrumph
03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
As I noted in the thread in OTBT, the BBC has reported that some people near the plant have been exposed to radiation. No details on how much, etc.; so we will have to wait and see what's up with that. Hopefully, the amount is not a significant dosage, and the radiation is not widespread.

taz'smum
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Sylvia, where did you hear about Amodio and Lucine? Are the federations posting this information on their websites?

Thanks for the information!

The source:
Florent posted the following on his official Facebook wall:

Go back in france tommorow !
(decision came from the governement and the federation)

UPDATE on official Facebook wall:

we can't find tickets all the flights are full so we have to wait 2 or 3 days i hope seriously that everyhting going to be better !

ioana
03-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Brief update from Fumie's facebook

And my grandpa died this morning at the hospital. He went to hospital because of Brain hemorrhage last week, but maybe because of the earthquake, the electronic system had problem.

But many people are in difficult situation so I have to be strong.
Thanks again and talk you soon.

She also mentions the roof of her former rink -that was no longer actively used- collapsed and a few people were injured. Otherwise, things around the Tokyo area are pretty much back to normal and the Shin-yokohama rink will be back to normal tomorrow.

((Fumie))

loulou
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
The source:
Florent posted the following on his official Facebook wall:

Go back in france tommorow !
(decision came from the governement and the federation)

UPDATE on official Facebook wall:

we can't find tickets all the flights are full so we have to wait 2 or 3 days i hope seriously that everyhting going to be better !

And Vive la France!

-- Sorry, I hope I'm not offending anybody by making a joke.
Thanks a lot for the report taz'smum.

MarieM
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
rfisher is right !!

And as of 10 minutes ago, the news about the explosion are actully VERY good.

Only the third barrier has suffered. There are still two to go, and those two are now out of the danger zone THANKS to the explosion. They will probably grade the incident at a lever 5 out of an 8 scale.

A lethal dose is one of 1Sv sustained in a very short period of time.
So far, there's only one exposion registered above 15 mSv. For your education, the annual accepted dose is ususally of 20 to 50 mSv a year.

loulou
03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Brief update from Fumie's facebook

She also mentions the roof of her former rink -that was no longer actively used- collapsed and a few people were injured. Otherwise, things around the Tokyo area are pretty much back to normal and the Shin-yokohama rink will be back to normal tomorrow.

((Fumie))

And now I'm sorry I joked.

rfisher
03-12-2011, 03:26 PM
As I noted in the thread in OTBT, the BBC has reported that some people near the plant have been exposed to radiation. No details on how much, etc.; so we will have to wait and see what's up with that. Hopefully, the amount is not a significant dosage, and the radiation is not widespread.

This is the type of irresponsible reporting that causes people to panic. Not you, the BBC. My students are exposed to radiation every day. All occupational workers in nuclear facilities are exposed every day. There may have been some minor release of radioactive gas which is statistically unlikely to cause any biological damage. There are many different factors: high LET versus low LET (linear energy transfer), high or low REB (relative biological effectiveness), dose (huge factor), individual exposure (how, when, where). Putting out a news bulletin stating some people may have been exposed but no further information is just sensationalism.

And, for what it's worth, those annual accepted dose levels of milliSieverts is on the very low end. We err on the side of caution. People could actually sustain much higher does with no harm, but the goal of all radiation safety programs is ALARA: as low as reasonably achievable to reduce risk.

floskate
03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's the town right next to my hometown...
I just found a short clip that shows how the whole town was swallowed by tsunami. People are shouting, "Run, Run!!" to the bus running uphill, which miraculously escaped the water by a hair.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20110312-00000112-jnn-soci

Minami-Sanriku is such a quiet, beautiful town by the sea... approx. 10,000 people are missing.. that is more than half of the whole town's population ( about 18,000 ) :(

:( That video is just very hard to watch. Incredible that so many could be lost in one town, but I have worried all along that the death toll estimates being broadcast were optimistically conservative. But I'm very glad to hear that you are ok and have managed to contact your family. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

naomi
if you go to google news, and type in 'World Figure Skating Champtionships' there are a number of articles saying that the ISU has no plans to cancel the championships in Japan. Here are links to a couple such articles:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/tokyo-still-planning-to-host-world-figure-skating-championships/article1939033/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-fig-worlds-tokyo,0,2909426.story

Asli
rfisher is right !!

And as of 10 minutes ago, the news about the explosion are actully VERY good. (snip)

Thanks MarieM.

Sedge
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Re Amodio.....

Perhaps France has offered to hold the Championships.

let`s talk
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Piseev said V/T have to stay overnight in Nagoya. The trains are delayed. Tomorrow they will go to Fukuoka to Morozov's camp.
Yuka's family who live near Tokyo are all fine.
(from baltinfo and sovsport)

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 03:39 PM
(((Fumie)))