PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Bosha
03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd catch older partner's butt with my face rather than getting exposed to radiation.

I really don't wish to be your secondary containment structure.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Nothing new really, but I just spoke to my cousin in Tokyo who was watching the news at the same time: Reports are that the explosion is not nearly as serious as first thought (as some of you on here said) and that it's the roof of the cooling centre on the plant which collapsed; still dangerous and potentially serious, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Still, as a precaution, those in a 50km radius have been evacuated, but they don't expect there to be any major problems without regard to radiation etc.

Evryone in Tokyo is really remaining rather calm (but still upset and worried, of course) The sitution there is OK.

Wyliefan
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Nothing new really, but I just spoke to my cousin in Tokyo who was watching the news at the same time: Reports are that the explosion is not nearly as serious as first thought (as some of you on here said) and that it's the roof of the cooling centre on the plant which collapsed; still dangerous and potentially serious, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Thank God for that. Thanks for the report.

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
And for those who want to be educated, 70.6 microSeiverts/hour is an extremely low dose of radiation and someone would have to stand in it for days to have a health issue. This is less dose than a chest x-ray. The type of radiation produced in a nuclear plant is gamma radiation which is a high energy photon and will pass through most objects without causing damage.
I am not sure I want to be "educated" by you without appropriately cited sources. First of all, no one hangs around getting a chest X-ray for days, and since you gave the unit of radiation in "microSeiverts[sic]/hour", days can definitely add up. Second, I don't know where you heard that gamma radiation cannot "cause damage." Gamma rays can be used for radiation sterilization (i.e. kill pathogens.) They can be used for targeted killing of cancer cells. They can also cause cancerous changes, because they are high-energy rays that can release enough energy while passing through organisms to break DNA bonds.

The actual dose and situation in Japan may be different, but I don't think you have your nuclear physics straight. I think it's ironic that you are berating people for not being educated.

My heart goes out to the people who have to determine yes or no for Worlds. I think regardless of which way they go, people will be upset and complain.Yes. I would guess that, even in Japan, opinions are divided as to what to do and how to do it.

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 02:26 PM
If a country decides not to send their skaters, how does that effect the amount of skaters they send to next worlds. Say the US says no competition, will we still have the same amount of spots for next year?
I think it's too early to know.

I didn't imagine federations would be calling people home.
Is that France only, or are other federations doing the same?
France (Amodio) and Monaco (Kim Lucine) are the first 2, AFAIK.

rustica
03-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Rustica you did fine!

Thank you FGRSK8 !

A figure skating news from Japan.
Aichi Prefecture Figure Skating Championships held in Nagoya today.
Kanako Murakami won the Ladies Short Program at 63.75 points.
She skated a clean program including triple-triple combination.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110312-00000204-jij-spo
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110312-00000069-dal-spo

icemusings
03-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I think it's too early to know.

France (Amodio) and Monaco (Kim Lucine) are the first 2, AFAIK.

Sylvia, where did you hear about Amodio and Lucine? Are the federations posting this information on their websites?

Thanks for the information!

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info about the competition, rustica! :)

taz'smum posted (no source link given):

Florent Amodio have been told to come home by the French Federation and the government. He flies back home from Tokyo tomorrow, as does Kim Lucine.
ETA:
Amodio tweeted 4 hours ago: "Feel little bit afraid to be in Japan."

SarahandDrew tweeted about an hour ago: "French fed has decided Amodio should leave Japan - he flies home tomorrow."

WildRose
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I didn't imagine federations would be calling people home.
Is that France only, or are other federations doing the same?

I haven't heard of any countries calling their skaters home other than France. Canada doesn't have anyone there yet - they are taking a wait and see attitude before sending their skaters.

Phil Hersch has just commented on Twitter:

International skating officials need to do right thing: cancel, postpone or try to move upcoming world fig skate championships in Tokyo.

RE: the nuclear power plant explosion. Very good to hear the containment structure wasn't damaged in the explosion, and that radiation levels have dropped. Apparently there is still some real concern there however, as the evacuation area has been increased again, and they are planning on distributing iodine to people in the immediate area. They've just had a pretty big aftershock close by as well, so hopefully that doesn't create any more problems.

soxxy
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
delete

DaveRocks
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Update on Amodio: all flights are booked so he's going to need to wait a few more days before leaving.

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks, DaveRocks. Is your source Amodio's Facebook or something that can be linked here?

SLIVER
03-12-2011, 03:01 PM
News now announcing that over 9,500 people missing in port of Minamisanriku...

C_T_T_
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks, DaveRocks. Is your source Amodio's Facebook or something that can be linked here?

DaveRocks has may have a :sekret: but here's a link anyway...

http://twitter.com/SarahandDrew

rfisher
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I am not sure I want to be "educated" by you without appropriately cited sources. First of all, no one hangs around getting a chest X-ray for days, and since you gave the unit of radiation in "microSeiverts[sic]/hour", days can definitely add up. Second, I don't know where you heard that gamma radiation cannot "cause damage." Gamma rays can be used for radiation sterilization (i.e. kill pathogens.) They can be used for targeted killing of cancer cells. They can also cause cancerous changes, because they are high-energy rays that can release enough energy while passing through organisms to break DNA bonds.

The actual dose and situation in Japan may be different, but I don't think you have your nuclear physics straight. I think it's ironic that you are berating people for not being educated.

Yes. I would guess that, even in Japan, opinions are divided as to what to do and how to do it.

:rofl: Since I teach radiobiology to my students, I think my credentials are quite sufficient. Go find your own sites. I suggest you go to the Nuclear Energy Commission sites first. The you can try the Nuclear Regulatory Commission sites both the US and the INRC. They have a lot of info on radiation dose. Then you might try a basic radiation physics site to learn a bit about gamma radiation. Why yes we do use that in radiation oncology, albeit in doses that exceed what is being produced at that plant by over a million times. :rofl: And, I think I'm quite competent in understanding radiation physics. I teach that as well. I'll put my PhD against your wikipedia anyday. I'm the program director of a large medical imaging school, have certifications in radiography, computed tomography, cardiovascular imaging, and MRI. Need more?