PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

MichaelK
03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Uhm ... there are other troubling signs as well ... and the roof didn't collapse it was blown off in an explosion. As I said we cannot know what happened and I would be very happy if the situation can still be contained and World's can take place.

judiz
03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
It's only been 24 hours, it's too soon to decide anything. First priority for Japan is to rescue the trapped, bury the deceased and provide housing and food for those left homeless.

rustica
03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
OK, folks, one of the nuclear plant towers just exploded. Cloud of radiation may be carried as far as California. Worlds still going on? If it were 'just' the earthquake and tsunami, I'd vote to go-ahead with Worlds. The threat of radiation to anyone within 200-300 miles of the plant is a tad more serious, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

NO.

I'm not good at English so it's hard to explain in English ...

Japan's 's government spokesman Mr. Edano said that the steel containment of plant did not explode. Only the concrete wall around the containment was broken because of the hydrogen explosion. The nuclear reactor is NOT broken.

The explosion happened because of the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. And, there is no oxygen in the steel containment of plant, so the steel containment(nuclear reactor) will not explode.

Tokyo Electric Power Company have already started to cool the nuclear reactor by sea water and boric acid at 20:20(Tokyo time).

The radiation around Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant is decreasing after the explosion. He said;
15:29 1015 μSv/h
15:36 explosion
15:40 860 μSv/h
18:?? 70.6 μSv/h

yukster
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
We cannot know exactly what happened in Fukushima, but clearly something very bad is going on. There are indications that the reactor core melted - with potentially disastrous consequences. If that is really the case Japan has more important things to worry about than a FS championship.

We just had a govt. conference and it is clear that the REACTOR CORE HASN'T MELTED. The explosion is outside the reactor core and the amount of radiation in the air is actually DECREASING after the explosion. OK, my English is not good enough to explain further technical stuff, so I hope somebody else can translate more details later...

I'm from Tome City, MIYAGI Prefecture, the city right next to the earthquake center... I finally could get a hold of my family 30 hours after the original earthquake happened and I can't describe how relieved I am to learn that they are all safe... The line was cut off after my father told me that they are alive and couldn't reach them since, so I don't now how they are doing but just relieved that they are ok....

I'm a high school teacher in Tokyo and I just got home after staying up all night with over 150 students at school last night. I'm actually glad I had to work through the night taking care of my students... It would have driven me crazy if I had had to just stay all night calling my family in vain...

The TV news just reported that there are over 10,000 people missing in the city next to my hometown ( Minami-sanriku )... The whole city is wiped out because of tsunami. I'm speechless. I just am.

I know FSUers are concerned about Tokyo Worlds, but maybe we can wait a little bit to worry about that...
Things are pretty much getting back to normal here in Tokyo, but I don't even know how much bigger the damage will be...

FGRSK8
03-12-2011, 12:58 PM
NO.

I'm not good at English so it's hard to explain in English ...

Japan's 's government spokesman Mr. Edano said that the steel containment of plant did not explode. Only the concrete wall around the containment was broken because of the hydrogen explosion. The nuclear reactor is NOT broken.

The explosion happened because of the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. And, there is no oxygen in the steel containment of plant, so the steel containment(nuclear reactor) will not explode.

Tokyo Electric Power Company have already started to cool the nuclear reactor by sea water and boric acid at 20:20(Tokyo time).

The radiation around Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant is decreasing after the explosion. He said;
15:29 1015 μSv/h
15:36 explosion
15:40 860 μSv/h
18:?? 70.6 μSv/h

Rustica you did fine!

rfisher
03-12-2011, 01:17 PM
And for those who want to be educated, 70.6 microSeiverts/hour is an extremely low dose of radiation and someone would have to stand in it for days to have a health issue. This is less dose than a chest x-ray. The type of radiation produced in a nuclear plant is gamma radiation which is a high energy photon and will pass through most objects without causing damage.

Bosha
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
That's it.
Exposure to radiation is another story that should be dealt differently from risk of falling during a lasso lift due to aftershocks.

Remind me never to be your partner!

missing
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I just want to thank all the FSUers who are giving us reports from Japan.

I hope all of you, your friends and your families, remain safe and sound.

RumbleFish
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Remind me never to be your partner!

:D Please reconsider. I'll make sure your butt will fall on my face.

Bosha
03-12-2011, 01:40 PM
:D Please reconsider. I'll make sure your butt will fall on my face.

Believe me, you don't want that. Not at my age.

taz'smum
03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Florent Amodio have been told to come home by the French Federation and the government. He flies back home from Tokyo tomorrow, as does Kim Lucine.
I'm glad health and safety is being put before medals and glory!

RumbleFish
03-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Believe me, you don't want that. Not at my age.

I'd catch older partner's butt with my face rather than getting exposed to radiation.

Jagerboy
03-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure if this was discussed earlier in the thread, as I keep getting interruptions from calls when reading. If a country decides not to send their skaters, how does that effect the amount of skaters they send to next worlds. Say the US says no competition, will we still have the same amount of spots for next year?

My heart goes out to the people who have to determine yes or no for Worlds. I think regardless of which way they go, people will be upset and complain.

Continued prayers to those in Japan that have lost loved ones and their homes.

FGRSK8
03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd catch older partner's butt with my face rather than getting exposed to radiation.

....unless the partner has a Plutonium butt....:P

loulou
03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Florent Amodio have been told to come home by the French Federation and the government. He flies back home from Tokyo tomorrow, as does Kim Lucine.
I'm glad health and safety is being put before medals and glory!

I couldn't read all the 20 pages this thread has been going on for.
I didn't imagine federations would be calling people home.
Is that France only, or are other federations doing the same?

Well, I guess it's more respectuful to search back in the thread for the answer.