PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I just spoke to my cousin and two friends in central Tokyo.

They say everything has been more organised today; no panic in the air as there was (very understandably) yesterday. My cousin has gone to stay with friends; she was frightened staying in her high rise apartment alone, so she feels better now. Almost all public transport is totally back to normal; there is little sign of any kind of major structural damage. My cousin said there were a few burst water pipes, and one telegraph pole which split open, but nothing to cause any real harm or worry. She said there are alot of people doing grocery shopping, which might be panic buying (she laughed at this) but no real sense of urgent panic - more concern for other parts of Japan. Apparently there were some fires in the north of Tokyo, but these have been put out.

The only problem is she still can't receive much cell phone signal; obviously this upsets her in trying to contact friends and family, especially those abroad, but we're communicating via facebook so that's something. I think the cell coverage is getting back to normal though. She doesn't want to watch TV because there's been an announcement about electric power needing to get back to normal (like marroncream said) and also she doesn't want to see all the awful pictures of the events.

Finally, my cousin and my two friends have tickets for worlds; they said they'd be surprised if the champs were cancelled.

Frau Muller
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
OK, folks, one of the nuclear plant towers just exploded. Cloud of radiation may be carried as far as California. Worlds still going on? If it were 'just' the earthquake and tsunami, I'd vote to go-ahead with Worlds. The threat of radiation to anyone within 200-300 miles of the plant is a tad more serious, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

MikiAndoFan#1
03-12-2011, 12:00 PM
OK, folks, one of the nuclear plant towers just exploded. Cloud of radiation may be carried as far as California. Worlds still going on? If it were 'just' the earthquake and tsunami, I'd vote to go-ahead with Worlds. The threat of radiation to anyone within 200-300 miles of the plant is a tad more serious, IMO.

This is horrible. First the earthquake and tsunami, now this. :( My heart goes out to the Japanese. Please be strong.

JerseySlore
03-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Oh my god. :eek::(

marsden
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh my god. :eek::(
German Foreign Office has issued an official travel warning for northern Japan and the Tokio area.

Loves_Shizuka
03-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Oh God I feel sick

RumbleFish
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM

That's it.
I have just been convinced that Wchs should be postponed and/or moved to another location. Exposure to radiation is another story that should be dealt differently from risk of falling during a lasso lift due to aftershocks.

Domshabfan
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Japanese govt. just issued a statement saying tht metal container containing radioactive material was not breached and no radiation was released during the explosion. so the smoke released during the explosion may be steam.

on top of that apparently radiation level is dropping. so the yahoo report may be just a scare mongering.

ETA: watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

MikiAndoFan#1
03-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Japanese govt. just issued a statement saying tht metal container containing radioactive material was not breached and no radiation was released during the explosion. so the smoke released during the exploio may be stream.

on top of that apparently radiation level is dropping. so the yahoo report may be just a scare mongering.

ETA: watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

I hope that's the case.

FGRSK8
03-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Before everyone goes off in 20 different directions thinking this is another Chernobyl, I would wait see what the Japanese Nuclear Agency has to say. Unlike the Soviets which were very tight lipped on that whole affair, I am confident that the Japanese will be more forthcoming on what is happening.

ssmith17
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I usually don't comment but this is all so crazy. If you talk to the general public about this situation, I think you will find reality. Even people who understand the world stage for a sport. They and I think it would be disrespectful to continue with this competition. Japan needs all it's resources, manpower and energy into helping with meeting the needs of it's people. You can not compare this to 911 or Hurricane or anything else. This is something bigger than all of that. The people need more than a skating competition to bring them hope. They need all those planes coming filled with red cross and other workers, filled with supplys and doctors. I wish the skating world would show their respect and instead of wanting to continue with its own needs come up with a plan to help the country by donating there energy and resources somehow. What a headline that would be..."Skating communities around the world, donate there airline tickets, money for meals etc. to send to Japan doctors, food, help to those in need."

rfisher
03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Some of you people are as bad as the sensational media. Did you not actually READ that information about the nuclear plant???? There is NOT a radiation cloud headed toward California. A little education would go a long way for some of you. The situation is not Chernobyl. I think some of you just like :drama:

Domshabfan
03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Before everyone goes off in 20 different directions thinking this is another Chernobyl, I would wait see what the Japanese Nuclear Agency has to say. Unlike the Soviets which were very tight lipped on that whole affair, I am confident that the Japanese will be more forthcoming on what is happening.

Exactly Japanese govt. won't lie to its public in this case, otherwise they will be in trouble. I am believing what Japanese Nuclear Agency and Japanese govt. are saying.

Lets stick to respectable news agencies who are on ground and are giving information.

MichaelK
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
We cannot know exactly what happened in Fukushima, but clearly something very bad is going on. There are indications that the reactor core melted - with potentially disastrous consequences. If that is really the case Japan has more important things to worry about than a FS championship.

rfisher
03-12-2011, 12:34 PM
We cannot know exactly what happened in Fukushima, but clearly something very bad is going on. There are indications that the reactor core melted - with potentially disastrous consequences. If that is really the case Japan has more important things to worry about than a FS championship.

NO IT DID NOT. A roof collapsed. A very different situation.