PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

tapper88
03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Marroncream, thank you very much for the update! Glad things are as normal as can possibly be! :)

Glad you're safe!

Iceman
03-12-2011, 06:56 AM
While things aren't bad in Tokyo, this report certainly doesn't make it seem as good as some have posted here:

Tens of thousands of people milled at the capital's train stations, roamed its streets or hunkered down at 24-hour cafes, hotels and government offices offered as emergency accommodations.

Mobile phone lines were crammed, preventing nearly all calls and text messages. Calls to northeastern Japan, where a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami washed ashore after the quake, generally failed to go through, with a recording saying the area's lines were busy.

Unable to rely on their mobile phones, people formed lines at Tokyo's normally vacant public phone booths dotting the city.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/27158968/detail.html

victoriaheidi
03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Should we not hold skating competitions anywhere in case there's an earthquake, flood, fire, or other natural disaster?

I think I've come to the best way to sum up my feelings: in some cases, it just isn't necessary to have an extraneous event take place. I love FS and everything that goes with it, but Worlds is not essential to anyone's life-and right now, I just don't think that Japan needs to play host. I'm not saying it'll be detrimental or even harmful. I just don't think its necessary-and I don't see why the suggestions that perhaps it's not a good idea to hold Worlds now/there get treated the way they do in this thread.

Iceman
03-12-2011, 07:01 AM
It might not be ISU's decision to make. Japan may decide that the competition won't take place.

BigB08822
03-12-2011, 07:02 AM
The Worlds aren't necessary, ever. If it was just about necessity then why ever hold the event? Let's all just go back to eating and keeping a roof over our heads...

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 07:07 AM
I think I've come to the best way to sum up my feelings: in some cases, it just isn't necessary to have an extraneous event take place. I love FS and everything that goes with it, but Worlds is not essential to anyone's life-and right now, I just don't think that Japan needs to play host. I'm not saying it'll be detrimental or even harmful. I just don't think its necessary-and I don't see why the suggestions that perhaps it's not a good idea to hold Worlds now/there get treated the way they do in this thread.

Maybe because some think it's for the host country, where the disaster happened, to decide whether or not they consider the event "extraneous" or just an event happening in Tokyo involving skating. No one has said Japan needs to host, but they've been given the role of host, and now should be given the right to continue to host (or not) if they so wish. They should be the only ones deciding whether or not it's a good idea to hold the event, especially since they're actually there, and can see and be involved in what's going on.

I don't understand why people are saying Japan should no longer host. If they still want to and think they can, why shouldn't they? If they change their minds, then that's fine too, but really, for people nowhere near Tokyo to be saying they shouldn't host, or skaters shouldn't skate to certain music, is hysterical, in the crazy sense, to me.

Japanfan
03-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for posting and giving some perspective Marroncream. I'm sure I speak for many in saying I'm happy to learn you are safe.

l'etoile
03-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Since there aren't many posts from posters living in Japan, I report what is happening around me now.
The place I live is very close to Tokyo and life of people here is quite usual. I went to the dentist this morning and his place operated as usual. Then I went grocery shopping, though there were some items lacked because of distribution problems, people there were the same as usual. I'm listening to the radio and it's broadcasting Rick Dees American Top 40! If you don't watch TV, which I'm doing now because I want to contribute to saving electric powers, you don't know those terrible things happening in the country you live.

Of course there are tragedies in Japan. There are so many victims. I'm heartbroken for the victims of the earthquakes and tsunamis, and praying for them. Personally, I'm warring about my uncle and cousins. Dad told me he couldn't get contact with his brother who lives in Miyagi Prefecture. But he told me they must be in some evacuate center because their house is in the middle of mountains.

Please do not agitate about the situation in Japan! I repeat that right now things are normal around Tokyo.

oh thanks for the info!! I'm really surprised how well japanese people are kept calm and ready. I think like others said, if there's one country that can overcome and rebuild these massive damages and casualties in short time, that would be Japan.

I just hope for the best on the Worlds, the safest and the smartest decisions!

Marroncream
03-12-2011, 07:19 AM
While things aren't bad in Tokyo, this report certainly doesn't make it seem as good as some have posted here:

Those problems are already solved.
My Dad had to stay in the office because trains stopped, but I called home "by my cell phone" today and he's already back there.

tapper88 and Angelskates, thanks a lot for your warm words! :)

For about Worlds if JSF and ISU decide to have it as planned, Iíll attend it. If they decide to cancel, I'll accept it.

Harryharry
03-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I repeat, the earthquake did not happen in Tokyo, and people, including posters here and several news reports, are saying that Tokyo was only minimally affected by the earthquake.

Yes, the earthquake did not happen in Tokyo but they (including my friend in Tokyo) are also saying that there are aftershocks still taking place.

And the 'cesium' thing.. looks so serious :(

I don't think that anyone posting here knows what the situation is for Tokyo and environs at this point, but a quick glance at the map shows any number of quakes southwest of the epicenter of the current quake. It does not look stable.

I wouldn't want to be the young lady up in a star lift even if the chances are slim that an aftershock would make the lift fall apart and both parties injured, and I would not like to see this now foreseeable risk whisked off the ice by a pass of the Zamboni, and lots of cash. I just hope that cash does not end up making the decision here instead of safety.

I completely agree.

oleada
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Marroncream, I am glad you and your family are OK! Stay safe :)
It's good to hear things in Tokyo are going back to normal.

Bosha
03-12-2011, 07:22 AM
The fact you are even suggesting that the JSF would put money over safety is disgusting and baseless. Japan has amazing safety records, and their buildings are built to sustain earthquakes. If they say a building is safe, why do you doubt them? Do you honestly believe the JSF would allow the championships to go ahead if they were putting people, including their own skaters and people, at risk? All for the sake of a skating competition?

I repeat, the earthquake did not happen in Tokyo, and people, including posters here and several news reports, are saying that Tokyo was only minimally affected by the earthquake.

Should we not hold skating competitions anywhere in case there's an earthquake, flood, fire, or other natural disaster?

Marroncream - I hope your family and friends are all safe and well. ((((hugs)))) and I am hope your trip to the dentist went ok! :)

I mean no particular disrespect to the JSF. Perhaps I am jaded by age and profession (former attorney), but money talks far too much and far too often when it shouldn't, in my experience.

I certainly hope that the culture in Japan is very different from the U.S. in that it reins in the baser monetary instincts, but there is a huge amount of money and prestige at stake for the JSF. The very quick denial of problems was not to me a good sign. Sometimes people who wish things to be what they want so very much lose their objectivity quickly, and do not think through all the problems that could arise. I think that this applies to humans everywhere, not just in Japan.

As to the ISU, my recollection is that the quick move of worlds from Australia to Nice a few years ago was caused by difficulties with TV contracts, in other words, cash, cash and cash.

The difference now is that the ISU gets lots of cash from selling the Japanese TV rights to its products, and the Australian TV rights were not lucrative to say the least.

Let me state again my sympathies for all the people of Japan. This is obviously a terrible blow, and I hope that the pain in their hearts will not be too great.

Iceman
03-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Yogogi, the arena, was built 50 years ago in the Shibuya district as a venue for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I doubt it has the earthquake protection construction of more recently built structures.

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Globe and Mail article: Nobunari Oda watches and waits in Canada (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/japanese-skater-oda-watches-and-waits-in-canada/article1939787/)

Oda, who trains in Barrie, Ont., with coach Lee Barkell, is scheduled to fly into Narita International Airport in Tokyo on Saturday, but he's not so sure he's going to make it. Narita was closed to commercial flights Friday and had allowed only nine flights to leave by the end of the day.

Oda, a four-time national silver medalist and one of the prime contenders in the 2011 men's world event, intends to go home to Osaka, where his young wife, Mayu, and his five-month-old son, Shintaro, live. Away from his family for most of the year, he wanted to see them for a week before he competed. (The worlds are scheduled to begin March 21 in Tokyo.)

He said they are safe in an inland city that was largely unaffected by the earthquake and flooding that ravaged the nation's northeastern coast, although he said they felt slight tremors in Osaka.

lowtherlore
03-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Yogogi, the arena, was built 50 years ago in the Shibuya district as a venue for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I doubt it has the earthquake protection construction of more recently built structures.

The gymnasium is one of the landmarks of Tokyo and I believe most likely it has been reinforced to meet the current codes for seismic safety.

Re: the nuke plant, latest report says some fire engines are on the site pouring water to the reactor, indicating the cooling system is still not working. Iím gravely worried..