PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

babayaga
03-12-2011, 05:32 AM
I think it may be hard to have World at Tokyo because Tokyo Electric Power Company says electricity shortage may occur.

OMG NHK news says that some trouble may have happend at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.

I just read on BBC too: power plant Fukushima-Daiichi "may be experiencing nuclear meltdown".
This sounds horrific I am hoping it's not true..

BreakfastClub
03-12-2011, 05:35 AM
I flew to japan yesterday for worlds and my flight landed 20mins before it hit. I was standing in passport control when the building shook violently and people crawled under counters. The evacuated the airport and people were nervous but calm. The follow up 7.6 tremor was scary too but the aftershocks were mild, just weird. Sendai looks awful but toyko was getting back up and running slowly and after being stranded and slept on the floor in Narita last night I was able to get my flight this morning to Sapporo (Hokkaido seems unaffected). For those who aren't here I feel like the media is latching on to the worst hit areas both for drama and also because they deserve attention. But everyone in Tokyo this am and now here in Sapporo are very calm and seem committed to getting things back on track. Fingers crossed for all caught in the disaster areas. My heart goes out to them and I'm grateful I'm just exhausted but safe and not scared.

WildRose
03-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I just read on BBC too: power plant Fukushima-Daiichi "may be experiencing nuclear meltdown".
This sounds horrific I am hoping it's not true..

Reuters is reporting it too...OMG.

Reuters Reuters Top News
FLASH: #Japan nuclear authorities say high possibility of meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 reactor - Jiji

Vash01
03-12-2011, 05:45 AM
I flew to japan yesterday for worlds and my flight landed 20mins before it hit. I was standing in passport control when the building shook violently and people crawled under counters. The evacuated the airport and people were nervous but calm. The follow up 7.6 tremor was scary too but the aftershocks were mild, just weird. Sendai looks awful but toyko was getting back up and running slowly and after being stranded and slept on the floor in Narita last night I was able to get my flight this morning to Sapporo (Hokkaido seems unaffected). For those who aren't here I feel like the media is latching on to the worst hit areas both for drama and also because they deserve attention. But everyone in Tokyo this am and now here in Sapporo are very calm and seem committed to getting things back on track. Fingers crossed for all caught in the disaster areas. My heart goes out to them and I'm grateful I'm just exhausted but safe and not scared.

WOW! It must have been quite an experience. Glad to hear you are safe and Tokyo sounds safe, for now at least.

victoriajh
03-12-2011, 05:49 AM
I hope and pray Japan can quickly and safely deal with the aftermath of the earthquake.

How long do aftershocks continue after the earthquake, and how strong are they in Tokyo? I would hate to see a skater injured while skating a program due to a strong aftershock affecting balance, jumps, etc.

the recent earthqukae in New Zeland was an after shock from the september quake.... so i guess a while!

That's what I'm most worried about too, if Worlds are held- a skater (or a pair) being injured.. on-ice or off-ice, due to aftershocks.

:(
i was just thinking this- can you imagine a pair in a star lift :eek:

I hope it's not necessary, but Vancouver could probably throw together a Worlds pretty quickly using last year's Olympic venue.
i was thinking this too- i for one will take one for the team and invite trankov or smirnov to stay with me:D

l'etoile
03-12-2011, 06:08 AM
I've been following this thread every hour reading replies, and still I don't know what to think.
at first I thought there's no way Tokyo would be safe from any dangers for a while, and now I just hope everything goes fine with people affected and people in charge make the safest and smartest decision.

those pictures and live coverage on the areas around Sendai are just the horror.

kwanfan1818
03-12-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm very glad for everyone who is safe and whose families are.

Margie Gillis, who is a Canadian dancer and choreographer, dedicated this evening's performance of "Thread" in Vancouver to the peoples of Japan and Libya.

Karen-W
03-12-2011, 06:13 AM
the recent earthqukae in New Zeland was an after shock from the september quake.... so i guess a while!

i was just thinking this- can you imagine a pair in a star lift :eek:

i was thinking this too- i for one will take one for the team and invite trankov or smirnov to stay with me:D

Aftershocks can happen for months, even years, after a major earthquake. They tend to lessen in magnitude the further out from the main earthquake, though New Zealand certainly was the exception to that rule.

The thing is, you can't predict when or where an earthquake will happen. As many have pointed out, LA and San Jose are both in earthquake country and we've had lots of skating events there. Heck, Vancouver is situated in an area that is primed for a quake exactly like the one that just occurred in Japan. Anything is possible and you can't stop living just because you're scared that you're going to be the unlucky pairs skater in the middle of a star lift when an earthquake hits. As it is, I'd say you have a higher chance of being hit by a car than being that one pairs skater in the midst of said star lift during an earthquake.

I just don't get the handwringing over whether or not Worlds should be held or not. Tokyo's pretty far away from the major damage areas. It's like Reno to the Bay Area in distance. No one would say that Nationals or Worlds in Reno should be cancelled because of a major earthquake in San Francisco, no matter how devastating it was.

Also, looking at the map of where Sendai is located (love Google Earth!) and the location of the earthquake, there seem to be some very specific topographical reasons why the tsunamis and the aftermath have been as bad as they are. Please, folks, really start reading up on and studying the science of seismology before jumping to any conclusions about whether or not Tokyo and the JSF are capable of hosting Worlds in another 10 days.

Stepping aside from the discussion about Worlds, my heart really does go out to everyone in Japan who has been affected by this enormous tragedy. I know what it is like to live through a major earthquake and I know it's not something easily overcome. The stress and trauma will affect the Japanese people for many years to come. Earthquakes are unlike any other natural disaster on earth... You don't know when the next one will hit or how big it will be after you've lived through a big one.

WildRose
03-12-2011, 06:15 AM
I've been following this thread every hour reading replies, and still I don't know what to think.

I think it's way too early for anyone to know what to think.

lowtherlore
03-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Breaking news says that trace of cesium is detected around Fukushima Nuke Plant 1, indicating the core damage in the reactor is under way. Restoration of cooling system is critical in the next 1-2 hours. Japanese army is in the area, apparently to provide power for the cooling system.

tapper88
03-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Is the nuclear power plant near Tokyo? I'm not too familiar with the areas of Japan..

Bosha
03-12-2011, 06:44 AM
I just don't get the handwringing over whether or not Worlds should be held or not. Tokyo's pretty far away from the major damage areas. It's like Reno to the Bay Area in distance. No one would say that Nationals or Worlds in Reno should be cancelled because of a major earthquake in San Francisco, no matter how devastating it was.

I did some research after my unfortunately experience in the San Francisco office building during the quake. That epicenter was about 50 miles south of San Francisco, btw.

It seems to be a case not of distance necessarily but of which faults have been activiated by the original quake. IIRC, Reno is not part of the fault systems that run through the San Francisco Bay area.

I don't think that anyone posting here knows what the situation is for Tokyo and environs at this point, but a quick glance at the map shows any number of quakes southwest of the epicenter of the current quake. It does not look stable.

I wouldn't want to be the young lady up in a star lift even if the chances are slim that an aftershock would make the lift fall apart and both parties injured, and I would not like to see this now foreseeable risk whisked off the ice by a pass of the Zamboni, and lots of cash. I just hope that cash does not end up making the decision here instead of safety.

Marroncream
03-12-2011, 06:45 AM
at first I thought there's no way Tokyo would be safe from any dangers for a while,

those pictures and live coverage on the areas around Sendai are just the horror.
Since there aren't many posts from posters living in Japan, I report what is happening around me now.
The place I live is very close to Tokyo and life of people here is quite usual. I went to the dentist this morning and his place operated as usual. Then I went grocery shopping, though there were some items lacked because of distribution problems, people there were the same as usual. I'm listening to the radio and it's broadcasting Rick Dees American Top 40! If you don't watch TV, which I'm doing now because I want to contribute to saving electric powers, you don't know those terrible things happening in the country you live.

Of course there are tragedies in Japan. There are so many victims. I'm heartbroken for the victims of the earthquakes and tsunamis, and praying for them. Personally, I'm warring about my uncle and cousins. Dad told me he couldn't get contact with his brother who lives in Miyagi Prefecture. But he told me they must be in some evacuate center because their house is in the middle of mountains.

Please do not agitate about the situation in Japan! I repeat that right now things are normal around Tokyo.

lowtherlore
03-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Is the nuclear power plant near Tokyo? I'm not too familiar with the areas of Japan..

It's some 150 mi NE of Tokyo.

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I just hope that cash does not end up making the decision here instead of safety.

The fact you are even suggesting that the JSF would put money over safety is disgusting and baseless. Japan has amazing safety records, and their buildings are built to sustain earthquakes. If they say a building is safe, why do you doubt them? Do you honestly believe the JSF would allow the championships to go ahead if they were putting people, including their own skaters and people, at risk? All for the sake of a skating competition?

I repeat, the earthquake did not happen in Tokyo, and people, including posters here and several news reports, are saying that Tokyo was only minimally affected by the earthquake.

Should we not hold skating competitions anywhere in case there's an earthquake, flood, fire, or other natural disaster?

Marroncream - I hope your family and friends are all safe and well. ((((hugs)))) and I am hope your trip to the dentist went ok! :)