PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

tapper88
03-12-2011, 04:13 AM
That's what I'm most worried about too, if Worlds are held- a skater (or a pair) being injured.. on-ice or off-ice, due to aftershocks.

:(

nerdycool
03-12-2011, 04:20 AM
I guess "a-ok" was a bad term to use, even though I merely meant that the arena passed the inspection, and because of that, the event would likely still happen given that nothing worse happens.

melonmelon
03-12-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm also very worried and scared.

Virgo
03-12-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm from Nagano, I mean living there. We had earthquakes early this moring, but only a few small villages damaged, not much in Nagano city. Actually my kids were fast asleep at those times. I think the only problem to hold the Championship here would be the transportation from Tokyo to Nagano. Currently the Nagano Shinkansen, the bullet train, is out of service. *sigh*

azurika
03-12-2011, 04:27 AM
That's what I'm most worried about too, if Worlds are held- a skater (or a pair) being injured.. on-ice or off-ice, due to aftershocks.

:(

Not saying that couldn't happen, but as someone who grew up in SoCal and has family and friends in Japan, I think the main worries in the aftermath of a quake are broader things like water, power, transportation....Tokyo is 100+ miles from Sendai and seems OK as far as that stuff goes at the moment, so should be OK to go ahead with Worlds (unless something awful happens w/Japan's nuclear plants...hopefully not....:()

neptune
03-12-2011, 04:33 AM
If I were a skater, even if I believed that everything would be fine physically at Worlds, I would just have a creeped-out feeling about going to Tokyo and find it difficult to concentrate in a business-like way on my skating.

Sasha'sSpins
03-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Frankly, who cares what happens to Worlds at this stage? Very unimportant in the scheme of things.

I was thinking the same thing. Worlds was the furthest thing from my mind when my little sister texted me with this horrific news this morning when I woke up.

I agree with whomever mentioned that if Worlds is cancelled it would be 50 years after the last tragedy that caused it to be cancelled. Eerie even. :(

I just hope, and pray everyone in the skating community in Japan, and their loved ones are safe. My prayers are with the victims of the earthquake and the equally horrible tsunami.

miki88
03-12-2011, 04:41 AM
If I were a skater, even if I believed that everything would be fine physically at Worlds, I would just have a creeped-out feeling about going to Tokyo and find it difficult to concentrate in a business-like way on my skating.

I feel the same. It must be even doubly hard for the Japanese skaters who reside there and are most affected by this tragedy.

Marco
03-12-2011, 04:44 AM
If Japan was considered not ready / unsafe etc for Worlds, how about moving Worlds to Korea which just held Junior Worlds or Taiwan which just held 4CCs? Their venues / facilities should stll be in good order and is close enough to Japan that those who arrived in Japan don't have to travel too far / further adjust for jetlag.

There will rightfully be a lot of money issues etc but it's a last resort.

Bosha
03-12-2011, 05:13 AM
If Japan was considered not ready / unsafe etc for Worlds, how about moving Worlds to Korea which just held Junior Worlds or Taiwan which just held 4CCs? Their venues / facilities should stll be in good order and is close enough to Japan that those who arrived in Japan don't have to travel too far / further adjust for jetlag.

Considering the rivalry between the Japanese Senior Ladies and Yuna Kim, I would expect considerable resistance from the Japanese Skating Federation at moving the competition to Korea at this late date.

I'd say that Taiwan would be better. Mainland China might be a possibility as well.

Then of course, there's the Broadmoor in Colorado. I seem to recall that they've cobbled up a couple of 4CCs quickly in the past.

On Edit, I hope that the ISU is busy looking for alternate spots as we write.

I don't think that a world championship can be canceled like it was in Belgium so many years ago because of the IJS.

Really, holding the event for the skaters so that all have their best shot to get their world ranking and season's best points is the primary thing now.

Vash01
03-12-2011, 05:18 AM

Given the history between Japan and Korea (I don't mean skating history), it may create an uncomfortable situation. Taiwan may be a better choice, if worlds must be moved. If there are no further damages in the Tokyo area, the ISU may still decide to go ahead with Tokyo. It does not sound like they are even considering a cancellation of the whole tournament.

victoriaheidi
03-12-2011, 05:19 AM

Probably true for many of the skaters. And, for the younger ones, perhaps for their parents/guardians as well. Honestly, there has to be a point where you draw the line between the desire to be a star skater and the need for sanity, and I just don't think some people will be comfortable. I just hope those people come from federations where they can do what they need without penalty.

rustica
03-12-2011, 05:25 AM
I think it may be hard to have World at Tokyo because Tokyo Electric Power Company says electricity shortage may occur.

OMG NHK news says that some trouble may have happend at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.

Vash01
03-12-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm from Nagano, I mean living there. We had earthquakes early this moring, but only a few small villages damaged, not much in Nagano city. Actually my kids were fast asleep at those times. I think the only problem to hold the Championship here would be the transportation from Tokyo to Nagano. Currently the Nagano Shinkansen, the bullet train, is out of service. *sigh*

Good to hear you and your family are safe, and there is not much damage in Nagano city. I am sure the transportation will be restored. Good luck to you.

WildRose
03-12-2011, 05:30 AM
On Edit, I hope that the ISU is busy looking for alternate spots as we write.

I hope it's not necessary, but Vancouver could probably throw together a Worlds pretty quickly using last year's Olympic venue.