PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

GoldenMichelle
03-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Sad news. Fumie Suguri has just tweeted about her grandfather's death. Mirai is having trouble getting into contact with hers.

So sad. :( I just read Mirai tweet before coming here, but didn't know about Fumie's grandfather. My thoughts go out to both ladies and thier families and I hope Mirai hears from her grandparents soon.

Virgo
03-12-2011, 02:44 AM
According to Takeshi Honda's and Shizuka Arakawa's twitters, they are all fine. As you know, they are basically from Sendai, one of the areas severely attacked by the earthquake and tsunamis. Hope to hear from Yuzuru Hanyu, too. He is also from Sendai.

Yazmeen
03-12-2011, 02:45 AM
It is not a horrific event in Tokyo - the earthquake was not in Tokyo.

We will simply have to disagree here. I'm not going to argue with you on this, we have different opinions. We will see what pans out over the next couple of days.

AragornElessar
03-12-2011, 03:06 AM
I might agree with you after there is a better analysis of the extent of the damage and what is going on, not now. This is far from "over" regardless of what is seen in Tokyo right now. This is a horrific event, the full extent of is still being assessed, regardless of what is seen or being assumed. I believe that any immediate analysis of "perfectly safe" or "total disaster" right now is jumping the gun. And I think both the JSF and ISU could have tempered their remarks with a bit more caution in the immedate wake after a huge disaster - on both ends, their remarks seemed more than a little self serving. Again, we will see. I don't think either position is necessarily correct right now.

Finally, a voice of reason in all of this. Thank you Yasmeen for your two well written *and* calm and reasonable postings. You've covered pretty much my own feelings on all of this.

I will agree w/whatever the JSF decides to do, as they are the ones who will know, hopefully, what the best thing to do is. However, I can't agree more w/what you've said in the text I bolded. I get there's money at stake here for them, but there's also more going on here than just that.

As you said, this isn't over yet. The aftershocks from this will be on par w/what's usually considered to be a major earthquake at any other time. There's also four different plate systems in the area. Who is to know what happened today/yesterday isn't going to end up destablizing the rest of the area? We don't.

I really wish the JSF and ISU's statements had been far more careful in tone than they were. On the PR side of things/image wise, it doesn't make them look that good by saying Worlds will go on only mere hours after this has happened. That was stupid on both sides IMO. It's done though and what's done is done sadly.

My condolences to our Japanese Members and the Japanese People. There are just no words for what has happened to your wonderful country and fellow Countrypeople. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you. :(

Jem X
03-12-2011, 03:27 AM
I hope and pray Japan can quickly and safely deal with the aftermath of the earthquake.

How long do aftershocks continue after the earthquake, and how strong are they in Tokyo? I would hate to see a skater injured while skating a program due to a strong aftershock affecting balance, jumps, etc.

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 03:28 AM
According to Takeshi Honda's and Shizuka Arakawa's twitters, they are all fine. As you know, they are basically from Sendai, one of the areas severely attacked by the earthquake and tsunamis. Hope to hear from Yuzuru Hanyu, too. He is also from Sendai.
According to this blog entry that summarizes the skaters in Japan who have checked in so far: http://msisobel.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/what-is-going-on-with-the-world/

All skaters in Sendai, included Takeheshi Honda & Yuzuru Hanyu-According to Honda’s twitter. Hanyu was apparently at school when the earthquake hit, according to unofficial sources.

OrioleBeagle
03-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Was Nagano affected by the earthquake/tsunami? Could they move the world championships there?

easilydistracte
03-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Was Nagano affected by the earthquake/tsunami? Could they move the world championships there?
There was another, separate earthquake in Nagano earlier this afternoon. It was magnitude 6.6 and on another fault system. I'm not sure about the extent of the damage--saw only a brief newsclip showing some displaced railroad tracks--but there was some damage there.

Sassafras
03-12-2011, 03:40 AM
disregard - someone beat me to it

julieann
03-12-2011, 03:40 AM
This is a horrific event, the full extent of is still being assessed, regardless of what is seen or being assumed. I believe that any immediate analysis of "perfectly safe" or "total disaster" right now is jumping the gun.

We live on a rock with ever shifting plates, no one would ever make a claim of it being "perfectly safe".

nerdycool
03-12-2011, 03:49 AM
It is not a horrific event in Tokyo - the earthquake was not in Tokyo.No, but there is a lot of activity closer to Tokyo out in the ocean still. Here's the USGS (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/140_40.php) site that puts all the activity from the past week on a map. It shows a big cluster of earthquakes of the 5.5 range or so, further south from the big one, including a 6.3 that happened earlier today. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't (but I'm not saying it will, either).

I just think that the initial assessment that everything was a-ok was just that, an initial assessment. I don't think we'll truly know more until we give it a few days to see how things pan out.

aka_gerbil
03-12-2011, 03:52 AM
We live on a rock with ever shifting plates, no one would ever make a claim of it being "perfectly safe".

This. There is no location on this planet that is perfectly safe. If it's not one thing, it's another.

easilydistracte
03-12-2011, 03:52 AM
disregard - someone beat me to it
Actually, you got it right and I got it wrong--after checking the USGS site, found out the the magnitude for the Nagano quake was indeed 6.2. Sorry for the inaccuracy.

Also, I have to agree that it's 'way too early to make any sort of decisions re: Worlds. We're less than 24 hours after the earthquake/tsunami. The situation is still too uncertain and the information is extremely incomplete. Aftershocks continue. Best thing to do is wait for further information before deciding anything.

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 03:53 AM
I just think that the initial assessment that everything was a-ok was just that, an initial assessment.

Where exactly was it said that everything is A-OK?

So far all the JSF has said is that the stadium where Worlds will be held is not damaged, and that they hope the competition will go ahead as scheduled. The ISU has issued a statement saying that another statement will be issued in the coming days as they wait for more information. No-one has said anything like everything is A-OK.

But some here, for whatever reason, don't trust the JSF or the ISU and question their motives. Yet, all they've done is answer our question of whether Worlds will be be affected, using the information they have at this time. No definites have been given as to whether Worlds will go ahead.

Bosha
03-12-2011, 03:57 AM
I hope and pray Japan can quickly and safely deal with the aftermath of the earthquake.

How long do aftershocks continue after the earthquake, and how strong are they in Tokyo? I would hate to see a skater injured while skating a program due to a strong aftershock affecting balance, jumps, etc.

This should be a big concern, IMHO. By all current accounts, aftershocks will continue for months. I'm wondering whether the earthquake in Nagano today on another fault line was really an aftershock.

In addition to the safety of skaters if on the ice, whether practice or competition, during an aftershock, would be mental state of
skaters experiencing aftershocks off the ice.

I myself experienced a 5.5 that hit 50 miles south when I was San Francisco. I was on the 20th floor of an office building. I was scared out of my mind. The building stood but swayed and the earth felt like it was in a mixmaster under my feet. Aftershocks continued for days. I skated recreationally as a younger adult and I cannot imagine being on the ice during an aftershock.

In addition, was incredibly shaken mentally. I simply could not work for hours, and every time an aftershock hit, I would be shake all over again. Injuiries happen when people are not mentally all there. I want to see good skating at the World Championship, and with all this going on, I can't believe that the skaters' mental foci would not be affected.

I would want an independent outside appraisal of the situtation, including an appraisal of the possiblity of aftershocks and of mental stress on the participants, before I would want to send an athlete to compete.

I know that the Japanese Federation and the ISU each genuinely thinks that it has the best interests of the skaters at heart, but really, they have too much on the line here to be completely unbiased subconsciously.

That said, I extend my deepest condolences to Fumie Sugui and her family, in particular, and to the Japanese nation in general over this terrible act of the supreme being. May their recovery be short and may be the spirits of the dead rest peacefully.