PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Cyn
03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
There is a thread discussing the earthquake in Japan already going in the Off The Beaten Track forum. Here is the link (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77943) for the discussion.

There is also a thread here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77944) about how this will affect the World Championships.

cheriepopo
03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I do have a feeling that worlds will be canceled, even a delay is not very likely. With such a damage, all the media and the whole country will be focus on NOTHING else but this for at least 1 month, the aftershocks, the rescue, the clean-up, the rebuild, and how to settle down those homelesses to another city, etc. And even after that, it will be very tough for Japanese audience to sit down and enjoy a competition imo, because the pain is hard to be gone. I remember in 2008 after the serious earthquake happened in Sichuan, China, it's just so hard for us to watch even a short entertaining video clip because we don't feel like laughing at all...

Anyway, prayers to all, and wish the victims rest in peace :(

B.Cooper
03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
New York Times link to video of tsunami via NHK TV
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/video-of-the-earthquake-and-tsunami-in-japan/

US West coast under tsunami alert
http://wireupdate.com/wires/15771/tsunami-warnings-issued-for-hawaii-california-and-oregon/

Japanfan
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Unless most of the skaters are already there...Tokyo's busiest airport is mostly underwater :shuffle:

The news I'm watching at the moment says that the airport underwater is in Sendai, 300 kms. from Tokyo. So far as I know Tokyo's main airport, Narita, is fine.

What this means for Worlds still remains to be seen.

My heart goes out to the Japanese lives lost and destructed due to the earthquake and tsunami. I live in Vancouver BC and we know we will by a major quake at some time, the question is not if, but when.

Maybe Worlds will proceed - maybe not. The Canadian news I'm seeing at the moment, which is featuring Japanese reports, is very calm, clashing with the horrific images of flooding and fire.

So I just don't know whether Worlds can proceed or has to be canceled.

RumbleFish
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
IMO, the most reasonable thing to do is to postpone the Worlds until April, and use the time slot and venue booked for Team Trophy, i.e. next best alternative would be to save the Worlds and cancle the cheesefest instead.

l'etoile
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
the news says that a nuclear powerplant near Tokyo has set off its automatic alarm system and some of facility is on fire.

oh god.........

from Golden skate forum by Shelpa

Russian media reports that:
Russian figure skaters disappeared in Japan.

Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov landed in Tokyo for 3 hours before the earthquake. After earthquake in capital of Japan the Federation of figure skating of Russia has lost contact with sportsmen - 24-year-old Tatyana Volosozhar and 27-year-old Maxim Trankov, and also their trainer Nina Mozer.

http://www.lifenews.ru/news/53249

allezfred
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Frankly, who cares what happens to Worlds at this stage? Very unimportant in the scheme of things.

skatepixie
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Prayers for Tatiana and Maxim.

@AllezFred This is a figure skating forum. Yes, everyone here is concerned for the victims and has expressed that. However, being that it is a figure skating forum, people are going to speculate on the status of the competition when this happens a few hundred miles away. That doesn't make them heartless or anything else.

nana7045
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
According to Japanese media, the focus of this earthquake is not in Tokyo (North Area in Japan).
Currently almost railways in Tokyo are stopped for the safety, but not received any serious damages for main lifeline.

So I think the Worlds will not be cancelled....I hope so.

skatepixie
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
According to Japanese media, the focus of this earthquake is not in Tokyo (North Area in Japan).
Currently almost railways in Tokyo are stopped for the safety, but not received any serious damages for main lifeline.

So I think the Worlds will not be cancelled....I hope so.

Thats good that the trainlines are safe.

Narita airport is currently shut down according to the US Army, as reported by Fox News. Also, according to the pentagon, all US servicemen/women are accounted for on our airforce base there. So that's at least some good news (the US army people, I mean).

allezfred
03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
@AllezFred This is a figure skating forum. Yes, everyone here is concerned for the victims and has expressed that. However, being that it is a figure skating forum, people are going to speculate on the status of the competition when this happens a few hundred miles away. That doesn't make them heartless or anything else.

Never said anyone was heartless. Just making the statement that in the grand scheme of things where lives are being lost and whole cities and towns being destroyed what happens with regard to a figure skating competition is pretty trivial. In my opinion.

Rae35
03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Narita Airport is closed from reports I am seeing in Australia, as anyone would expect. The Tsunami has hit across the entire eastern seaboard of Japan. How far inland the tsunami has travelled into Japan is not clear as yet.

There was not one tsunami but two, the BBC are reporting.

Other pacific areas are in danger for Tsunamis, especially low lying islands. Other areas, including Hawaii, the eastern seaboard of Australia and the western seaboard of USA are on Tsunami alert.

A fire in a nuclear turbine plant in north eastern Japan is being reported.

skatepixie
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Never said anyone was heartless. Just making the statement that in the grand scheme of things where lives are being lost and whole cities and towns being destroyed what happens with regard to a figure skating competition is pretty trivial. In my opinion.

It is, except it sort of isn't with one of the pair teams unaccounted for. :(

RumbleFish
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
V&T may be having trouble using their mobile phone international roaming service. I have been trying to call my friends in Tokyo via international phone line for last 3 hours, but lines are not working.

skatepixie
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
V&T may be having trouble using their mobile phone international roaming service. I tried to call my friends in Tokyo via international phone line for last 3 hours, but lines are not working.

Hopefully that's all it is. Heck, even figuring out how to use one's phone internationally can be weird, at times, and if they are trying to get to a safe place to wait this out and all -- well, calling Russia might not be 1st priority.