PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

rfisher
03-12-2011, 12:29 AM
All 70 of InsideJapan's clients were uninjured during the earthquake and the company says that although it may not seem like it most of the country has not been affected by the disaster and the majority of destinations they visit are completely unharmed.

I think that's an important point. The news is presenting this as *Japan* being inundated by the tsunami. While the entire country is sad that there was any loss of life, people outside the immediate area will get on with their lives tomorrow. When Katrina hit New Orleans, it didn't impact New York apart from the general sense of being saddened. Even 9-11 didn't stop schools, jobs, life as usual for those outside the area. We watched on TV, were sad and got up the next morning and went to work. Which is what the people in the majority of Japan are doing or will as soon as the trains start to run again. Which I'm certain will be soon.

SamuraiK
03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Sad news. Fumie Suguri has just tweeted about her grandfather's death. Mirai is having trouble getting into contact with hers.

:(:( Is there a link to Fumies twitter account I would like to give her a message of condolence..:(

skatepixie
03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
:( for Fumie and prayers for Mirai's family.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-12-2011, 12:39 AM
:(:( Is there a link to Fumies twitter account I would like to give her a message of condolence..:(

http://twitter.com/fumiesuguri :)

Sylvia
03-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Fumie Suguri's 2 tweets in English (looks like she may have deleted the one about her grandfather's death):

so sad to lose two people in this short time.anyway there are so many people having difficult time too so i have to be strong

sun rise and we realized that it was such a big earthquake.

Asli
03-12-2011, 12:43 AM
(((Fumie))) :(

Wyliefan
03-12-2011, 12:50 AM
To lose two people? Anyone know who the other one was?

ChelleC
03-12-2011, 01:15 AM
(((Fumie))) (((Mirai)))

PUNKPRINCESS
03-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Holy cats.

allezfred, there is no need to attack people just because they think and feel differently from you, as there was no need to call portia's feelings idiotic.

Also, you clearly know nothing about plate tectonics. The comparison of Japan with Washington D.C. and Florida, my ass.

Anyway, portia, I feel differently from you. I agree with the others who think Japan needs the WC to continue as planned, perhaps delayed if required. I'm glad your family is all right.

NorthernDancers
03-12-2011, 01:36 AM
It's definitely too early to make a decision, but they are are going to have to assess soon. Athletes are already starting to arrive. On one hand, helping to build Japan's economy by continuing the event could helpful. People will buy food, stay in hotels, and visit stores. On the other hand, there has to be running water, safe buildings, public transportation, basic infrastructure and services, and airports in Tokyo for the event to run. If the event doesn't run, I can't imagine people demanding their money back. The world gave many millions to Haiti. Surely companies and individuals can account for the lost contracts and money as donations in some way. If the event does run, I think when the event is finished, all the athletes should spend some extra time volunteering to help with the relief efforts. If that requires fundraising, I'm sure that's possible through each country's skating federation.

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I will agree with anything the Japanese Skating Federation decides. This decision is up to them, and their decision should be respected, not debated, which is why the ISU is listening to them.

I think it's disrespectful for anyone to say it should or shouldn't be held without first hearing what the JSF think. This decision does not lie with anyone but Japan, and it should be anything but a priority at the moment.

(((((all of those affected))))

Yazmeen
03-12-2011, 02:08 AM
I will agree with what is decided once there is actually time to assess the full impact of this disaster. The simple fact is that there is a wide range of emotions and frank underreaaction and overreaction going on everywhere - there area lot of extremes:

-The Japan Skating Federation declaring the venue is perfectly safe and the Championships will go almost immediately while aftershocks are occurring and well before anyone can fully assess the damage, situation and after effects of the disaster
-The ISU giving a cursory "sympathy nod" to Japan while also chiming in that the Championships will go on without having any idea of what the full magnitude of the damage and after effects are
-The media reporting a wide range of stories from lesser damage to "OMG, the nuclear reactors are going to melt down, run for the hills"
-Skating fans who are mistrustful of the "all is well" reports and are perhaps blowing the magnitude of this out of proportion
-Skating fans who cannot bear the thought that the Championships could be cancelled and their favorites might not get to skate and who are minimizing the impact and going with whatever opinion will keep the event on as scheduled

This is the ultimate time for a collective deep breath to give things time to settle down a bit before decisions are made. Yes, the JSF is in charge, but while they are conscious of the risks, they are also well conscious of the potentially horrendous financial losses that could occur (not to mention the fact that many of their skaters are likely to rule the podiums at this event). As for the ISU, well, I think their "sympathetic vibes" are heavily governed or overruled by their own nose for money and status. And as for fans, I understand the wide range of motions being experienced here and on other board, but sorry, comments like "idiotic" and "dumbass" are not helping here, folks.

Again, time to take a collective deep breath and see what happens. If anything, I hope decisions err on the side of caution and safety instead of money, pride or otherwise. Let's wait and see what pans out in the next couple of days before taking sides and declaring right or wrong, idiocy or dumb. And let's say a prayer for those suffering or lost, which in the long run, means a hell of a lot more than triple axels.

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Yazmeen, I will declare right now that I believe whatever the JSF decide is right. They know better than all of us.

Posters and others in Tokyo have said the damage there is minimal, and who is anyone not in Tokyo to argue with that?

If the situation changes, then the JSF will note that, and weigh it in their decision, but the JSF decision will be the right one.

Yazmeen
03-12-2011, 02:35 AM
I might agree with you after there is a better analysis of the extent of the damage and what is going on, not now. This is far from "over" regardless of what is seen in Tokyo right now. This is a horrific event, the full extent of is still being assessed, regardless of what is seen or being assumed. I believe that any immediate analysis of "perfectly safe" or "total disaster" right now is jumping the gun. And I think both the JSF and ISU could have tempered their remarks with a bit more caution in the immedate wake after a huge disaster - on both ends, their remarks seemed more than a little self serving. Again, we will see. I don't think either position is necessarily correct right now.

Angelskates
03-12-2011, 02:36 AM
It is not a horrific event in Tokyo - the earthquake was not in Tokyo.