PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

tapper88
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't think it is idiotic to still want Worlds to be held in Tokyo. It is possible to have compassion for the people of Japan, mourn the lives lost and understand that taking care of the victims is a priority - and want Worlds to be held.

But to feel disappointed is merely human and does not mean someone is insensitive or lacking in the compassion, as multiple emotions can co-exist.

This. Thank you.

victoriaheidi
I'm asking this honestly- but does the Japanese Government even know an event like this is happening?

I know it's a big deal for us, but in the grand scheme of the nation, other than the fact that government officials may be fans, would they even care?

Isn't it just the federation who would have anything to do with it.

I suppose the Japanese federation could close travel and not allow non-aid foreigners to enter the country, thus ending World's, but I would think they really have nothing to do with whether or not it goes on.

I don't think anyone knows about it, outside of the community (and by that, I mean skaters and fans). No one I spoke to today knew that it was happening.

MissIzzy
Sad news. Fumie Suguri has just tweeted about her grandfather's death. Mirai is having trouble getting into contact with hers.

babayaga
03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Oh no...

MikiAndoFan#1
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Sad news. Fumie Suguri has just tweeted about her grandfather's death. Mirai is having trouble getting into contact with hers.

Oh, that's so sad. My condolences to Fumie's family. :( Hope Mirai's family is alright. :(

portia
03-11-2011, 11:56 PM
This is really uncalled for.

But it's okay for him to say "What I think is idiotic is people like you who think they should decide how people in Japan should react to this disaster."

So to voice an opinion on this board is to be called idiotic?

tapper88
03-11-2011, 11:56 PM
So sad :( :(

Vash01
03-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Mevrouw,

Thanks for the eyewitness account. Good luck to you. Be safe.

blue_idealist
Sad to hear that Fumie's grandfather died.. I hope Mirai reaches her family..

allezfred
First of all, Dumbass, since you are the one who addressed me as idiotic, I will call you a dumbass.

I addressed your post as idiotic. But with the above, you have lived up to your posts exactly.

Okay, FYI I was just in the Akita, close to and north of Fukushima (hardest hit of prefectures, near center of quake) six weeks ago visiting my grandmother and grand-aunts. We've finally been able to reach my relatives in Tokyo for news about my grandmother and grandaunt just 4-5 hours ago. I've not slept all night and instead have been glued to the tv watching NHK for updates.

You're not the only person with family in Japan here. Or keeping track of news coming out of Japan.

As a person personally familiar with Japan, I think I know more than you as to how Japan should respond in a situation like this.

Well, I'm not really interested in a pissing contest about who knows more about Japan, but I am very emotionally invested with the country. If you think your ego needs you to know about Japan than I do, be my guest.

Even then, this is such a huge disaster not only in terms of lives lost, but also infrastructurally and economically as well. It's impossible to predict at this early stage how efforts should be made to ensure safety and livelihood of those affected by this. Figure skating should be the last thing to preoccupy energy and resources of Japan right now.

Again this will be a matter for the OC in Tokyo to decide. From what I have observed of Japan and its people, the desire to return to every day life as normal is very strong.

allezfred
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
So to voice an opinion on this board is to be called idiotic?

Well, if the shoe fits.

ioana
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I cross-posted so I just want to throw out there that yes, Japan is very wealthy and could probably conduct both and once. At the same time, that doesn't mean that it's fair to the people of Japan to bring in a bunch of skaters to consume their resources, nor does it mean that it's fair to the skaters to bring them in unless their 100% sure it's safe (and I'm with the CEO of SC-I don't think we know everything).

You do realize that by not hosting the Championships, the local economy would be forfeiting a huge amount of money. That could be used -partly- to help the relief effort. I don't even think the resources needed for Worlds would impact the relief effort that much. Surely they can get people from all areas of Japan to volunteer for that and if somehow additional people are needed to help Worlds run smoothly, am sure there would be no shortage of volunteers.

just don't understand how someone who doesn't live in Japan or at the very least isn't there when this is taking place could make that decision for them.

genevieve
03-12-2011, 12:02 AM
First of all, Dumbass, since you are the one who addressed me as idiotic, I will call you a dumbass.
I can see that this is stressful for you, as you are very close to the situation. I'm very glad you were able to hear from your grandmother and grandaunt and they are safe. But a personal attack on someone who was NOT attacking you (read it again) is uncalled for.

Sorry to hear about Fumie's grandfather :(

FigureSpins
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Without mixing in, I think the ISU is just being supportive. They haven't made any final decision. They can't - they don't have enough information nor do they have a crystal ball.

Look at it a different way:

What does Japan need in order to fulfill their committment to host Worlds?

. Venue
. Security
. Transportation and Lodging
. Athletes
. Spectators

Of these five things, the only one that's a known "CHECK!" is the venue.

We'll just have to wait and see.

So sorry for Fumie's loss. Hoping for good news for Mirai.

portia
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I addressed your post as idiotic. But with the above, you have lived up to your posts exactly.

You're not the only person with family in Japan here. Or keeping track of news coming out of Japan.

Well, I'm not really interested in a pissing contest about who knows more about Japan, but I am very emotionally invested with the country. If you think your ego needs you to know about Japan than I do, be my guest.

Again this will be a matter for the OC in Tokyo to decide. From what I have observed of Japan and its people, the desire to return to every day life as normal is very strong.

Since you assumed I knew nothing about Japan and had no connections to it, that's why I posted the bit about my family after you attacked my opinions as ethnocentric. Ego had nothing to do with it or otherwise I'd have made mention of my experience with Japan couple of posts earlier.

I don't wish to engage in belittling others like you did with me. But if that's your m.o. then that's fine too, own it. I'm just relieved after a long night and day, still watching rescue efforts on NHK, and trying to get more updates on the regions affected.