PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

tapper88
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mevrouw. Glad you are alright :)

portia
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I asked one of my teachers (someone who's interested in all athletic and political endeavors) and he said, "now, more than ever, they need to host this." I don't agree. I feel that Worlds should only go on if Japan is sure that the needs of its citizens and those hit by this tragedy are met.

I actually had a really great fundraising idea for the athletes and fans: the skaters who would logically attend the WTT should collectively raise and donate $1 million to the relief effort, since that is what Japan has on the line for the event, no?

I agree with you. No offense to your teacher, but would he be saying such idiotic nonsense if it was he and his family/ town that were wiped out or left devastated by these horrible disasters? It always seems simplistic self-important to give jingoistic opinions about serious matters, doesn't it?

babayaga
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Mevrouw - thank you so much for your report. Please stay safe and I really hope you will got home soon and get some sleep. This whole thing is terrible and it isn't even over yet.

Jenna
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi - I am stranded in Tokyo today. Should have been going to the airport to catch my plane home. But while the plane is going to leave on time, there is just no way to get from downtown to the airport. Rail & bus service are suspended for today. Since the highways are closed pending inspection of the overpasses, it would tak a taxi about 5 hours to get there IF you could get one to agree to take you.

Back on one of the early pages, someone said that Narita airport by Tokyo was underwater. This must have been a misunderstanding as it was Sendai airport right up north by the epicentre that flooded. Narita is operating some flights today and there was no flooding.

Damage to central Tokyo is minimal. We saw nothing in the streets as we walked home for two hours after the quake. We were right by Yoyogi Stadium which had been evacuated. But all the tall buildings look intact. The only building(s) in Tokyo which collapsed were older and shorter and so did not conform to the modern building codes.

Most of the deaths and damage were up near Sendai where they think that 4 trains were swept away as they have not had contact with them since the first shaking. The tsunami was devastating up there. - 30 feet high and more.

They expect to release some radioactive gas to relieve the pressure on the nuclear plant. Let's hope it works.

THere have been many aftershocks in the last 18 hours - some as high as 6.0 and more. It is not fun when the floor or bed begin to shake under you so I didn't get much sleep last night.

Our hotel the Hilton in Shinjuku, has been the offical skaters hotel in the past and it came through the quake very well and is in full operation today.

Thanks for this report! I wish you luck in your travels. Stay safe.

From this report, it appears that Tokyo is capable of safely hosting the World Championships if no further damage is done to the city or the surrounding area. Whether it is feasible for the competition to be held due to the devastation of other parts of the country is an ethics question only the JSF can answer.

allezfred
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks Mevrouw for keeping us updated with your situation. I know it must be very unsettling since you are probably not used to earthquakes, but I think this is also an unprecedented experience for many Japanese too. Best of luck with making your way home.

Our hotel the Hilton in Shinjuku, has been the offical skaters hotel in the past and it came through the quake very well and is in full operation today.

The Keio Plaza is the official hotel for the skaters this time, but it's in the same area.

Am I alone in thinking how idiotic it is for skaters and coaches to still want Worlds to be held in Tokyo? Sensitivity aside, the logistics just doesn't support continuing Worlds in Japan right now. All available resources should be directed towards rescue and recovery right now. In the next few days and upcoming weeks as less and less survivors are found, much effort will have to be used to ensure that provisions such as housing and food will be made available to those displaced by these natural disasters.

I can't believe people are talking about wanting Japan to host Worlds when there are still victims' bodies waiting to be recovered. Lives have been lost, towns have been washed away, entire towns' livelihood have been wiped out. Do these idiots understand what the words priorities and compassion mean? Shibutanis, I am so disappointed in you!

It is up to the Japanese people to decide what I do. What I think is idiotic is people like you who think they should decide how people in Japan should react to this disaster.

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world. It is perfectly capable of coordinating a first class rescue and relief effort in the affected areas AND host a World championships at the same time. Whether they choose to do that is up to them and I think we all need to respect their decision.

victoriaheidi
03-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Am I alone in thinking how idiotic it is for skaters and coaches to still want Worlds to be held in Tokyo? Sensitivity aside, the logistics just doesn't support continuing Worlds in Japan right now. All available resources should be directed towards rescue and recovery right now. In the next few days and upcoming weeks as less and less survivors are found, much effort will have to be used to ensure that provisions such as housing and food will be made available to those displaced by these natural disasters.

I can't believe people are talking about wanting Japan to host Worlds when there are still victims' bodies waiting to be recovered. Lives have been lost, towns have been washed away, entire towns' livelihood have been wiped out. Do these idiots understand what the words priorities and compassion mean? Shibutanis, I am so disappointed in you!

No, I'm with you. I don't understand the obsession with having Worlds next week in Tokyo.

I was kind of shocked with the Shibs-I think they were more trying to show their solidarity and support than fanatically wishing that Worlds would happen in Tokyo (without regards to the circumstances).

My mom also agrees with us. I showed her speedy's statement and she said that she thought it was ridiculous that, in the heat of the tragedy, they were surveying the building!

Let me put it this way: I want to see 2011 Worlds. I want to see D/W bring home the first US gold in dance, I want to see the Shibs, Dornbush, Miner, Y/C and C/Z make their Worlds debuts (not to mention countless others, like Kanako, Joshi, Mať and others). I just don't think that all of this needs to happen if Japan is caught in turmoil.

ETA: I cross-posted so I just want to throw out there that yes, Japan is very wealthy and could probably conduct both and once. At the same time, that doesn't mean that it's fair to the people of Japan to bring in a bunch of skaters to consume their resources, nor does it mean that it's fair to the skaters to bring them in unless their 100% sure it's safe (and I'm with the CEO of SC-I don't think we know everything).

Skittl1321
03-11-2011, 11:34 PM
. Do these idiots understand what the words priorities and compassion mean? Shibutanis, I am so disappointed in you!

"The whole season has been building up to this and we all are looking forward to skating for the people of Japan. A lot of work has been put into this season and we've achieved a lot of our dreams but whatever happens, happens. Skating is secondary in a situation like this.''

Sounds to me, that while they would like World's to go on, they are less concerned about skating then human lives.

The JSF will make the final decision. Normalcy is important in times of tragedy, and if the infastructure will support it, tourist dollars (if the tourists don't get in the way, and it doesn't sound like they would in Tokyo) help a country recover.

Personally, if I were a skater, I'd be nervous to travel there. The earthquakes have gone on for days now, and aftershocks can be pretty dangerous as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I'm glad it's up to the Japanese, and not the ISU.

allezfred
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
My mom also agrees with us. I showed her speedy's statement and she said that she thought it was ridiculous that, in the heat of the tragedy, they were surveying the building!

Of course they are surveying the building. They are surveying all the building in areas that experienced tremors to make sure there is no structural damage.

I just don't think that all of this needs to happen if Japan is caught in turmoil.

Not for you to decide.

monty
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I imagine it is way too soon to make a final decision on Worlds. Aftershocks can go on for weeks, other fault lines can be affected, the safety of the nuclear plant has yet to be determined, etc, etc. The decision, whether to hold worlds or not, should be made by the Japanese Government and their skating federation with the concurrence of the ISU. Other federations can then decide to attend or not.

I do believe, though, that the ISU should be investigating an alternate site, canceling or postponing. Making a decision now is short-sighted and foolish. There are too many variables and the full ramifications of this terrible situation are yet to be determined. Support the Japanese people to the fullest during this time with whatever resources available, let them decide how they want to proceed and be ready to adjust in the most intelligent and humane way possible.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese during this time. We should all do whatever we can to help in any ways we can. Could someone start a thread dedicated to all the channels we can use to donate money, food, or other commodities?

portia
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
It is up to the Japanese people to decide what I do. What I think is idiotic is people like you who think they should decide how people in Japan should react to this disaster.

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world. It is perfectly capable of coordinating a first class rescue and relief effort in the affected areas AND host a World championships at the same time. Whether they choose to do that is up to them and I think we all need to respect their decision.

First of all, Dumbass, since you are the one who addressed me as idiotic, I will call you a dumbass. Okay, FYI I was just in the Akita, close to and north of Fukushima (hardest hit of prefectures, near center of quake) six weeks ago visiting my grandmother and grand-aunts. We've finally been able to reach my relatives in Tokyo for news about my grandmother and grandaunt just 4-5 hours ago. I've not slept all night and instead have been glued to the tv watching NHK for updates.

As a person personally familiar with Japan, I think I know more than you as to how Japan should respond in a situation like this. Even then, this is such a huge disaster not only in terms of lives lost, but also infrastructurally and economically as well. It's impossible to predict at this early stage how efforts should be made to ensure safety and livelihood of those affected by this. Figure skating should be the last thing to preoccupy energy and resources of Japan right now.

Jenna
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM
First of all, Dumbass, since you are the one who addressed me as idiotic, I will call you a dumbass. Okay, FYI I was just in the Akita, close to and north of Fukushima (hardest hit of prefectures, near center of quake) six weeks ago visiting my grandmother and grand-aunts. We've finally been able to reach my relatives in Tokyo for news about my grandmother and grandaunt just 4-5 hours ago. I've not slept all night and instead have been glued to the tv watching NHK for updates.

As a person personally familiar with Japan, I think I know more than you as to how Japan should respond in a situation like this. Even then, this is such a huge disaster not only in terms of lives lost, but also infrastructurally and economically as well. It's impossible to predict at this early stage how efforts should be made to ensure safety and livelihood of those affected by this. Figure skating should be the last thing to preoccupy energy and resources of Japan right now.

This is really uncalled for.

victoriaheidi
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Not for you to decide.

It's just an opinion, which everyone else on this board seems to have.

Skittl1321
03-11-2011, 11:46 PM
The decision, whether to hold worlds or not, should be made by the Japanese Government and their skating federation with the concurrence of the ISU. Other federations can then decide to attend or not.

I'm asking this honestly- but does the Japanese Government even know an event like this is happening?

I know it's a big deal for us, but in the grand scheme of the nation, other than the fact that government officials may be fans, would they even care?

Isn't it just the federation who would have anything to do with whether or not it went on?

I suppose the Japanese government* could close travel and not allow non-aid foreigners to enter the country, thus ending World's, but I would think they really have nothing to do with whether or not it goes on.

rfisher
03-11-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm curious how those insisting the ISU should cancel the event think that would in anyway impact the recovery efforts of the quake? The resources consumed by the skaters would be a drop in the bucket and would have zero impact. I haven't seen any of the Japanese posters calling for a cancellation. It's far too early to say what the situation will be within 10 days. A lot of posts here have been reactionary rather than thoughtful or knowledgeable. The ISU will do what the JPF and local authorities think best.

Japanfan
03-11-2011, 11:48 PM

I can't believe people are talking about wanting Japan to host Worlds when there are still victims' bodies waiting to be recovered. Lives have been lost, towns have been washed away, entire towns' livelihood have been wiped out. Do these idiots understand what the words priorities and compassion mean?

I don't think it is idiotic to still want Worlds to be held in Tokyo. It is possible to have compassion for the people of Japan, mourn the lives lost and understand that taking care of the victims is a priority - and want Worlds to be held.

Safety concerns will obviously mean that events have to be canceled and activities suspended. However, from a pragmatic viewpoint it is not desirable for the economy to grind to a halt, especially since the tragedy is going to cost the Japanese government billions.

I will be very disappointed if Worlds is canceled and am sure that many of the skaters will be too. If one is a victim of the earthquake in some way or has lost loved ones, obviously Worlds will be insignificant. But to feel disappointed is merely human and does not mean someone is insensitive or lacking in compassion, as multiple emotions can co-exist.