PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

BigB08822
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
The radiation is not at dangerous levels. The news stations are playing up the sensational side of the story and they need to do their job a lot better!

WildRose
03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
The Associated Press is also now citing Japanese nuclear safety agency officials as saying that radiation levels inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daini nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed. Pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

stillalive
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I tried to follow some coverage, but I'm seriously heartbroken about what happened :(

ostile17
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Any news on Daisuke Takahashi? Please???

sus2850
03-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I think what 1986 showed is that you should not underestimate a nuclear accident, I don't believe that "news stations are playing up the sensational side of it".

A.H.Black
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I just saw an email from a couple of skating fans that are already in Japan, touring, before Worlds. One is in a little town outside Sapporo - can't get back to Sapporo for now. The other landed in Tokyo just before the earthquake - stranded at the airport at the time of the email. As in all disasters, things get really confused and complicated for a while.

mmot
03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Any news on Daisuke Takahashi? Please???

There's been no specific news about him, but he's been holding a training camp in Fukui Prefecture for the last 2 weeks and schedule to be there until March 19. Fukui is reported to be unaffected by the earthquake.

ostile17
03-11-2011, 10:42 PM
There's been no specific news about him, but he's been holding a training camp in Fukui Prefecture for the last 2 weeks and schedule to be there until March 19. Fukui is reported to be unaffected by the earthquake.

Phew...thanks!!!:)

ETA: it's almost midnight in Italy, but I won't be able to go to sleep now, at least not until dawn breaks...

Vash01
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Ever since I heard this news this morning, I have been thinking of nothing but Japan. Figure skating somehow seems so insignificant right now. Safety of those people and getting their lives in order has to be the priority.

nerdycool
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I think what 1986 showed is that you should not underestimate a nuclear accident, I don't believe that "news stations are playing up the sensational side of it".While the rising levels are concerning, though not critical at this point, the news sources likely are playing it up just a bit. It's very common for all news outlets... radio, articles, TV... to make everything seem a little worse than it really is. Especially weather events. Reason is very good though. It makes people take situations more seriously. If the news was saying the levels were still normal, people wouldn't be concerned enough to evacuate. It doesn't mean no one should be concerned about a nuclear explosion/leak though.

Coco
03-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I think the US travel warning stems from fears about a core meltdown at one of the affected plants, or fears of how the plants will fear if there are significant aftershocks.

But I hope that 2 months from now it will be regarded as an extreme overabundance of caution.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Ever since I heard this news this morning, I have been thinking of nothing but Japan. Figure skating somehow seems so insignificant right now. Safety of those people and getting their lives in order has to be the priority.

I agree with you. I couldn't care less about the World Championships right now. I just want the Japanese to be safe. :(

Mevrouw
03-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi - I am stranded in Tokyo today. Should have been going to the airport to catch my plane home. But while the plane is going to leave on time, there is just no way to get from downtown to the airport. Rail & bus service are suspended for today. Since the highways are closed pending inspection of the overpasses, it would tak a taxi about 5 hours to get there IF you could get one to agree to take you.

Back on one of the early pages, someone said that Narita airport by Tokyo was underwater. This must have been a misunderstanding as it was Sendai airport right up north by the epicentre that flooded. Narita is operating some flights today and there was no flooding.

Damage to central Tokyo is minimal. We saw nothing in the streets as we walked home for two hours after the quake. We were right by Yoyogi Stadium which had been evacuated. But all the tall buildings look intact. The only building(s) in Tokyo which collapsed were older and shorter and so did not conform to the modern building codes.

Most of the deaths and damage were up near Sendai where they think that 4 trains were swept away as they have not had contact with them since the first shaking. The tsunami was devastating up there. - 30 feet high and more.

They expect to release some radioactive gas to relieve the pressure on the nuclear plant. Let's hope it works.

THere have been many aftershocks in the last 18 hours - some as high as 6.0 and more. It is not fun when the floor or bed begin to shake under you so I didn't get much sleep last night.

Our hotel the Hilton in Shinjuku, has been the offical skaters hotel in the past and it came through the quake very well and is in full operation today.

portia
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Am I alone in thinking how idiotic it is for skaters and coaches to still want Worlds to be held in Tokyo? Sensitivity aside, the logistics just doesn't support continuing Worlds in Japan right now. All available resources should be directed towards rescue and recovery right now. In the next few days and upcoming weeks as less and less survivors are found, much effort will have to be used to ensure that provisions such as housing and food will be made available to those displaced by these natural disasters.

I can't believe people are talking about wanting Japan to host Worlds when there are still victims' bodies waiting to be recovered. Lives have been lost, towns have been washed away, entire towns' livelihood have been wiped out. Do these idiots understand what the words priorities and compassion mean? Shibutanis, I am so disappointed in you!

Coco
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
thank you so much for posting! We hope that you are ok and continue to be ok! ((((Mevrouw)))))