PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

victoriaheidi
03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I asked one of my teachers (someone who's interested in all athletic and political endeavors) and he said, "now, more than ever, they need to host this." I don't agree. I feel that Worlds should only go on if Japan is sure that the needs of its citizens and those hit by this tragedy are met.

I actually had a really great fundraising idea for the athletes and fans: the skaters who would logically attend the WTT should collectively raise and donate $1 million to the relief effort, since that is what Japan has on the line for the event, no?

SwingDancer
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Since the quake was 300 mi north of Tokyo, I doubt they'll be using much of their hotel rooms to house the homeless or rescue workers.

Actually, in a disaster of this scale they going to house workers and victims, anywhere they can find a place for the, Typically as with Katrina, they moved people out of state and as far as they could away from the disaster area. Which probably what they are going to do now.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
At this point with all of the destruction and devistation, I think worlds should be moved or canceled. All attention must be focused on the rescuse and rebuilding effort, in the large sceam of life, figure skating is low on the priority list for Japan. Furthermore, the airport needs to be mobilized to receive rescue aid, not international competitors. Aid from Israel is already enroute to Japan. Including search and rescue teams.

I feel that Japan itself, and its people, should make this decision. If they feel that holding Worlds would benefit their people (re: income raised, spirits raised, etc.), and that holding the event does not impact their efforts re: quake recovery, then they should hold Worlds. It is their decision.

Celine82
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Gah. Sunrise over the devastated areas shown live on CNN (images courtesy of NHK).

:(

WildRose
03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Breaking News reports that radiation may already have been released at nuke plant. The news just keeps getting worse :-( My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan.

Jenna
03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I heard about this at work - so so so incredibly sad. Japan is a beautiful country, and from my experience the people who live there are also beautiful. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Japanese people in this time of need. I will definitely be texting in to the Red Cross for a donation.

As for Worlds, I don't know what to think. Some federations might be apprehensive about sending their athletes to Japan after such a devastating situation. Yoyogi is reportedly fine, however. Maybe the WC will help in taking people's minds off of the tragedy for a bit. Also, I know many FSUers had plans to travel to Tokyo and other parts of Japan in the near future. My heart goes out to you as well. I hope you arrive safely, or if you choose to cancel your trip, that you receive some kind of compensation/airline miles.

Wiery
03-11-2011, 09:38 PM
So many lives have been devastated or taken by this enormous tragedy. Aside from loss of lives, livelihoods have been destroyed or profoundly altered in the last few hours. Homes have been damaged or destroyed. Cars, boats, airplanes, trains, so many things are damaged or destroyed. Businesses too. Coastal farmland and crops that help feed millions of people have been destroyed. It would do the economy of Tokyo a favor to soldier on with the Worlds Championships, if possible. Millions of yen in revenue are brought in from this event, and hundreds of workers in food and hospitality industry need to continue earning their wages. I know it's a tiny amount of Tokyo and Japan's economy, but every revenue dollar that can be brought to Japan should be brought there now and in the next few months. The economic devestation to the entire country of Japan is going to be huge. Any tiny thing we can do to help the Japanese people continue to work and maintain/rebuild their economy is needed.

pollyanna
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I feel that Japan itself, and its people, should make this decision. If they feel that holding Worlds would benefit their people (re: income raised, spirits raised, etc.), and that holding the event does not impact their efforts re: quake recovery, then they should hold Worlds. It is their decision.

This, this, and this. :respec:

And fan, that's a fabulous suggestion. As generous and wonderful as the people of Japan have been when others experience disaster, I know I am going to give as much as I can to help out.

rfisher
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Breaking News reports that radiation may already have been released at nuke plant. The news just keeps getting worse :-( My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan.

That was a controlled release if it indeed took place and should not impact any one's health or the environment. My understanding is they were considering doing so to release some of the pressure within the cooling tower, but hadn't made the decision. The cooling tower wasn't damaged. It's a problem with electricity. Once they get it shut down completely, there will be no danger. The radioactive vapor will be very low dose and would rapidly dissipate in the environment.

Wyliefan
03-11-2011, 09:44 PM
That was a controlled release if it indeed took place and should not impact any one's health or the environment. My understanding is they were considering doing so to release some of the pressure within the cooling tower, but hadn't made the decision. The cooling tower wasn't damaged. It's a problem with electricity. Once they get it shut down completely, there will be no danger. The radioactive vapor will be very low dose and would rapidly dissipate in the environment.

That's good to hear.

kwanette
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Evan Lysacek
Txt REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Japan & Pacific #tsunami relief. http://bit.ly/eZJDoJ
http://bit.ly/eZJDoJ
bit.ly

By phone or link, it takes a few minutes..

SwingDancer
03-11-2011, 09:49 PM
The news is saying that it is a serious risk, and that they are expanding the evacuation area.

oh2tango
03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Earthquake, Tsunami in Japan
11 Mar 2011 10:32

As you probably are aware an earthquake and a so defined Tsunami hit the territory of Japan today March 11, 2011.
The ISU received an e-mail message from the head office of the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) informing that one of their representatives had visited Yoyogi stadium and considered it suitable to host the World Figure Skating Championships 2010/11.
The said communication from the (JSF) informs that the situation in Tokyo is settled and seems to be in-line for conducting the Championships.
However the message of the head office of the JSF points out that the Narita Airport is closed.
Further information will be given to the ISU by the JSF, in the meantime the ISU wishes to remind that the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are scheduled to commence with the practice sessions on March 20, 2011.
The ISU, while expressing its sympathy to the Japan entities, is confident that the local conditions will permit to regularly conduct the Event.
The ISU is planning to issue another Communication in the next days.

Ottavio Cinquanta
ISU President

Sylvia
03-11-2011, 10:05 PM
"Shibutanis hopeful worlds will go on as scheduled" (article): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110311&content_id=16906294&vkey=ice_news

"It was just so shocking to see the news,'' [Alex] Shibutani said. "It's reminiscent of any horror disaster movie you've seen, but here, it's come to life.''

Shibutani and his sister, Maia, are scheduled to travel to Tokyo to compete in their first World Figure Skating Championships on March 21. The Shibutanis plan on traveling with their parents. Their mother was born in Japan but Alex Shibutani said they have no close relatives living there now.

According to Shibutani, he has been alerted by officials from U.S. Figure Skating to continue training in anticipation of the world championships, which are scheduled for March 21-27.
"The fans in Japan are so educated about figure skating,'' Shibutani said. "And the people there are so supportive. I hope that we can compete there and be kind of a light for the people there.''

attyfan
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Radiation is surging from a damaged plant:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/