PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Frau Muller
03-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Someone reported, above, that Nikolai Morozov has Tweeted that he is OK. Now the female population of Japan can rest...not!

Hey, we all need a little levity even in tough times.

midori
03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Most of Tokyo trains have resumed running at night and now I am back home :)

Evidently the Yoyogi arena is undamaged and I cannot see why people keep insisting canceling the Worlds. I would have never even thought about the possibility if people on FSU were not talking about it.

skatesindreams
03-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm glad that you are safely home, midori.
Is there anything you want to share?

midori
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
It is amazing to me, looking at these photos and videos, that the death toll remains at less than 200.

I am afraid but I think it is just because the most affected area is too busy to count those numbers. I really hope I am wrong about it though....

Jayar
03-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Evidently the Yoyogi arena is undamaged and I cannot see why people keep insisting canceling the Worlds. I would have never even thought about the possibility if people on FSU were not talking about it.

Midori, thank goodness you are home safely!

I think that there is specualation because it is difficult to celebrate something like the WC when such a horrific tragedy has occurred. I think that Japan needs something happy and positive in a time like this, and I hope that the WC do move ahead as scheduled.

Loves_Shizuka
03-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Glad you're OK midori.

I'm glad the trains are back up and running. Like I said in an earlier post, it took my cousin seven hours to make a five mile journey.

yumyum2006
03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I had to stay at the office for 9 hours after the first quake, which was the biggest that I ever experienced. The trains resumed running and I am home, too! (I am located around Tokyo)

No one knows whole picture of the damage in North-eastern area yet...
but Tokyo area is not seriously affected by the quake.

julieann
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Glad you are safe :)

The media tends to overstate things especially in the first stages of a disaster. In the first few minutes they didn't know if a 1/4 of a million people were dead or more; they really were only comparing it to what happened in 2004 in the Indian Ocean. It was the same magnitude. We were watching whole towns getting wiped out in a matter of minutes, it was very scary. I can see how they would get carried away. I hope the death toll is not as bad as they have said.

Postponing the WC was just a knee jerk reaction by people who didn't know some cities weren't as bad off. They just weren't reporting that part.

victorskid
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Good news regarding members of the Sato family and of the skaters Mr. & Mrs. Sato coach in this article: http://www.freep.com/article/20110311/SPORTS17/110311017/Detroit-Skating-Club-coach-Sato-Parents-safe-Japan?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs

Vash01
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I suspect there would be aftershocks, and the infrastructure would take a while to recover. Japan will be in mourning, with such a humongous loss. I don't know if it would be even appropriate to have WC there at this time. Can they be moved to another location at such a short notice? I think not. May be they will take place as planned, but it will be tough to really enjoy them at a time like this.

My heart goes out to Japan, and particularly to those affected by this event.

Jaana
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
OMG, such a horrible tragedy, I cannot find words to describe my feelings..... Midori, great to hear that you are safe!

danceronice
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank God Japan at least tends to build new construction with earthquakes in mind--we've seen with places like China, Turkey, and Haiti what happens when buildings aren't.

With the airports closed, aftershocks likely, and everything that will need to be done to make sure buildings are structurally sound I have to wonder just how feasible it is from a practical standpoint to hold Worlds. Feelings aside, you can't just open everything back up and assume everything's in working order. Safety's the priority.

taf2002
03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I suspect there would be aftershocks, and the infrastructure would take a while to recover. Japan will be in mourning, with such a humongous loss. I don't know if it would be even appropriate to have WC there at this time. Can they be moved to another location at such a short notice? I think not. May be they will take place as planned, but it will be tough to really enjoy them at a time like this.

My heart goes out to Japan, and particularly to those affected by this event.

Absolutely. As much as I was looking forward to Worlds, if ever there was a time to cancel them, this is it.

4rkidz
03-11-2011, 06:50 PM

It could be because national tv broadcasts (like CBC) and other parts of the world are saying that travel and flights to Japan will be impacted for weeks - a ripple affect from the airlines :( Glad you got home okay :)

bardtoob
03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
It must be devastating to the Japanese World Team, and they are the strongest team in the World :(