PDA

View Full Version : Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Jayar
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't want to single you out, but again not all of Japan is or has been physically affected by this earthquake. The main area of devastation is in a 100km radius from the northeastern city of Sendai. Tokyo is 300km away. While there has been minor structural damage to some buildings, Tokyo and the surrounding area is not anyway as badly affected as the area around Sendai.

Nagoya (where all the Japanese ladies going to Worlds hail from), Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, etc are far away from the effects of the earthquake and life is going on as normal.

Thank you for that, fred. I couldn't care less about Worlds right now. I am so sad for the people of Japan, and I hope that there are as few casualties as possible. Worlds would be incredibly healing for them as a nation, but for now, I am keeping hope that lives were spared.

Is anybody else on the verge of tears? I have met so many people from Japan in my skating travels, and they have all been so lovely (Except for the Rambo-like TV cameramen who have hit me in the head with their lenses way too frequently!). This is a nation of beautiful people (not talking physically in this case), and my heart is aching for them.

julieann
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
allezfred, aren't you ever worried about security of skaters or atmosphere there?
It's true that Tokyo isn't damaged as much as Sendai is but there are aftershocks going on and you can't just say life is normal in unaffected areas just like that.

It's one of the greatest earthquake hit in Japan's history and there are too many lives suffering, missing, getting lost, and being worried-sick of the upcoming dangers:(

Very true but the same thing could have easily have happend in LA in 09. There is no safe zone.

ioana
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Nagoya (where all the Japanese ladies going to Worlds hail from), Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, etc are far away from the effects of the earthquake and life is going on as normal.

Thank you for clarifying. And, I just wanted to add that even if she's not going to Worlds, Akiko is tweeting away and fine.

l'etoile
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Started up a list of all skaters accounted for on my blog:
http://wp.me/p1dLDC-2m

Feel free to give me news anyone who has it.

All skaters in Sendai, included Takeheshi Honda & Yuzuru Hanyu-According to Honda’s twitter. Hanyu was apparently at school when the earthquake hit, according to unofficial sources. Ross Miner just tweeted he was glad to hear about his coach Nanami Abe and family, so they must be all right as well.

Nikolai Morozov and his skaters-Florent Amodio just tweeted; they’re in Fukuoka down south.

Shizuka Arakawa-tweeted earlier, assuring her fans she, her family, dogs, and home are all safe.

Fumui Suguri-tweeted earlier.

Takahiko Mura-tweeted earlier.

Akiko Suzuki-tweeted earlier.

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov-came to Japan early, along with trainer Nina Mozer. The Russian federation had trouble getting in contact with them, but they are reportedly also in Fukuoka.

for those who want to know if skaters in Japan are in safety!

Jayar
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you for clarifying. And, I just wanted to add that even if she's not going to Worlds, Akiko is tweeting away and fine.

Fantastic news. People, please keep letting us know if you hear of a skater, coach, etc. surface from this...

despina
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't want to single you out, but again not all of Japan is or has been physically affected by this earthquake. The main area of devastation is in a 100km radius from the northeastern city of Sendai. Tokyo is 300km away. While there has been minor structural damage to some buildings, Tokyo and the surrounding area is not anyway as badly affected as the area around Sendai.

Are you from JSF?
I really worry about people and skaters in Japan.
Take care of yourself and please check the Japanese skaters are all right.

Loves_Shizuka
03-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Re: Tokyo itself: My cousin lives right in the centre and tells me that more or less everything there is OK; there are some fires north of the city, some structural damage and other smaller problems, but that most things are OK. There are aftershocks still taking place every 10 mins or so, but they're less frequent now and not so violent. She said she can still hear lots of sirens and general activity, but the initial hysteria and panic has calmed, in central Tokyo at least. She's still terrified of course, and hates the aftershocks, especially as she's on her own - her BF is in Shanghai atm. :( I hate her being on her own, but I'm glad the situation in Tokyo at least seems fairly stable (or stable enough) If only we could say the same for the Sendai area. Good lord. :( My thoughts with the people there.

l'etoile
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Are you from JSF?
I really worry about people and skaters in Japan.
Take care of yourself and please check the Japanese skaters are all right.

no need to accuse someone like that. adjust your tone please.

Sylvia
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Universal Sports has put this compilation up: Figure skaters Tweet support to Japan (http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=523434.html#figure+skaters+tweet+support+ja pan)

ioana
03-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Shizuka Arakawa was raised in Sendai, wasn't she? It's very possible some of her old school friends and distant relatives could be affected by this...

justAfsfan
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad the situation in Tokyo at least seems fairly stable (or stable enough) If only we could say the same for the Sendai area. Good lord. :( My thoughts with the people there.

I sincerely hope that Sendai and entire Tohoku region are stable and got no worse effect than what we already have seen. Wish the best for people there.

From Ross's twitter,I assume that Yuzuru and his coach are safe. At least some good news

peibeck
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I saw this earlier on Yahoo, but just got a chance to check in here. What a horrible tragedy; my heart goes out to all those effected.

Apparently there are a lot of stong aftershocks, even as far south as Tokyo, but it does seem the main devastation remains in the north. It is amazing to me, looking at these photos and videos, that the death toll remains at less than 200.

A friend of mine who works in the military :sekret: says the U.S. travel status is just an advisory, based mainly on worries about potential water contamination. They have also been apparently watching closesly the status with Japan's nuclear energy plants.

Frau Muller
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Pres. Obama/USA ready to send relief aid to Japan. Bravo!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_us/us_japan_earthquake_us

FGRSK8
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
We have three different networks on and I am amazed after viewing all the horrific tsunami footage and the footage inside building that the death toll isn't extreme.

The Japanese know their drills well as I saw many getting under their desks or doorways.

l'etoile
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Re: Tokyo itself: My cousin lives right in the centre and tells me that more or less everything there is OK; there are some fires north of the city, some structural damage and other smaller problems, but that most things are OK. There are aftershocks still taking place every 10 mins or so, but they're less frequent now and not so violent. She said she can still hear lots of sirens and general activity, but the initial hysteria and panic has calmed, in central Tokyo at least. She's still terrified of course, and hates the aftershocks, especially as she's on her own - her BF is in Shanghai atm. :( I hate her being on her own, but I'm glad the situation in Tokyo at least seems fairly stable (or stable enough) If only we could say the same for the Sendai area. Good lord. :( My thoughts with the people there.

oh, man...:( Still it's really fortunate that japanese are so prepared and kept rather poised with this kind of disaster.

Universal Sports has put this compilation up: Figure skaters Tweet support to Japan (http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=523434.html#figure+skaters+tweet+support+ja pan)

:)