PDA

View Full Version : Fumie Suguri intends to continue competing, aiming to compete in Sochi 2014.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

WayCon
03-11-2011, 07:31 AM
If she can move up from block competitions to nationals, and she earns international assignments, who would say no? Like any other skater, she will go as far as she can go.

loulou
03-11-2011, 09:42 AM
To read that Lepisto is out of worlds and Suguri aims to be in soon, is making my heart ache.
- I really don't mean to be disrespectful, so I'll add: good for you, Fumie.

Jenny81
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Huh??? :eek:
What can I say........
I wanna just say 'Wow' !!! Amazing Suguri !!;)

Jaana
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I have enjoyed of Suguriīs skating during many years and now Iīm hoping that sheīll find a job connected with skating. Apparently itīs very difficult for her to end the competitive career. Her skating career does not look promising at all, will she even get any GP-events in 2011 fall? It seems to me that itīs highly unlikely that she will succeed at the Nationals well enough to make the Japanese World team in 2012 and 2013 or to make the 2014 Olympic team.

On the other hand if she is wealthy enough to keep competing at the Nationals without getting results good enough to make any teams, that is her own choice.

geod2
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
:rofl: This is both hilarious and inspiring at the same time! I am totally looking forward to seeing a 33-year-old Suguri competing in 2014. She'll be the Chusovitina of figure skating!

Thing is, though, to the casual fan no one would ever know she was in her thirties. She doesn't look a day over 20.

Well, IceJunkie...you get it!
That's right, she is a chronological wonderchild....

As the demographics of figure skating continue to drift north (aka "older") there will be an appreciation for those who can give everyone above the average age "hope"....

Geezz...Alissa Czisny taught us about the possibilities for "older" skaters to make a difference if they were committed enough and had the right coaching........
...and she deserved every medal, accolade, and Super Bowl commercial she enjoyed as a result.

.........one BIG thing missing fom Fumie's resume is SOI or some kind of professional commitment to the entertainment and commmercial side of FS......
..I could be wrong....somebody slap me upside the head if I missed it, but Fumie has never been in demand from the SOI crowd...people who just want to be entertained outside of the competitive arena of figure skating....

If Fumie could get her coaching and choreography right, and I mean really RIGHT without any bullshit, just one more time, we could witness a brief comeback similar to ACzisny's.

Otherwise, this will be just another sad, humiliating, expensive career-fade-out and disappearance....

-

skatesindreams
03-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Good for Fumie. I hope to see more of her.

ITA! No one who loves the sport and wants to compete should be forced out by "fans" who want them to "move on".
I hope that she achieves her goal.

VIETgrlTerifa
03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I wish she'd go back to the type of programs she had in 2003-2005. Even her 2006 SP was fantastic. Of course things have changed since then, but if she'd only get programs like that, then I think people would be more receptive to her staying on because even if she placed low, people could still enjoy her skating.

miki88
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I wish she'd go back to the type of programs she had in 2003-2005. Even her 2006 SP was fantastic. Of course things have changed since then, but if she'd only get programs like that, then I think people would be more receptive to her staying on because even if she placed low, people could still enjoy her skating.

At least better costumes. :slinkaway

briancoogaert
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
:rofl: This is both hilarious and inspiring at the same time! I am totally looking forward to seeing a 33-year-old Suguri competing in 2014. She'll be the Chusovitina of figure skating!

Thing is, though, to the casual fan no one would ever know she was in her thirties. She doesn't look a day over 20.
Well, at least, Chussovitina won some World medals, even at a later age !

briancoogaert
03-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Good for Fumie. I hope to see more of her.
More of her doesn't necesseraly mean as an amateur skater !
I remember a very interesting and inspiring Gala routine few years ago (she played a doll). It would be better to see her doing tours instead of competitions where she is not at her best. JMO. ;)

Fergus
03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
To paraphrase uncle Dick: "Well good for you Fumie Surguri! " :)

Right on!

I would be happy to wait at the boards in Sochi with Ben-Gay and ThermaCare patches if and when she finishes her LP. :D

WayCon
03-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Right on!

I would be happy to wait at the boards in Sochi with Ben-Gay and ThermaCare patches if and when she finishes her LP. :D

Good one.

ponta1
03-12-2011, 07:27 AM
If Fumie wants to continue competing, I say more power to her. It's her decision to make.

Fozzie Bear
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm all for Fumie's decision to keep competing, but if she's going to, at least get some better programs.

Her programs the past 3 seasons have sucked big time choreographically.

This. I loves me some Fumie, but the LPs these past three years have been painful. :slinkaway The SP this year was pretty good though. She needs to stay away from Murve.

LongTimeLurker
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes, better costumes and choreography, please!!

Actually, being an "older" skater might open the door for more possible sponsors, like hair dye or something. ;-)