PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 13 (March 9th and 10th)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Jayar
03-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Why must every Filipina sing shit like Smile and Out Here on My Own? I swear to gay Jesus if that little twit sings It's Raining Men next week, I will personally drive to LA and slap her 15 year-old ass.

P.S. Guy-ana Ross needs to go home this week, followed by Thia, followed by that hairy guy who looks like he would smell like rancid butt.

taf2002
03-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Absolutely agree haribobo & Allskate. Good assessment. Want to add to my critique above...this is minor, but I thought that a less bright lipstick would have gone better with Naima's look this week. I loved her outfit but would have toned down the makeup a bit. But I loved her dancing.

PeterG
03-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Welcome to boring ballad evening on American Idol. Insomnia got you down? No problem, just watch our show!

On to tonight’s rankings:

1. James – loved how he grabbed the trophy out of Pia’s hands and knocked her over the head with it. Take that, princess! :lol:
2. Thia – pitchy? Really? This was a great performance, even though she should NOT have done a ballad two weeks in a row. I liked the jazzy second half. :40beers:
3. Pia – spot-on vocals. But the character in this song…has any pop song ever had such a pathetic, whiny loser at it’s center?
4. Naima – vocals were not perfect, but the rapping and the dancing…you GO, girl!! :respec:
5. Haley – I think this was Haley’s best performance so far on Idol. But a carbon copy of LeAnn Rimes…
6. Lauren – Decent, but not great. And by the way, Shania the first female country singer to cross over to pop? Umm…how about Dolly Parton or Patsy Cline? Or Crystal Gayle, Olivia Newton-John or Anne Murray?
7. Ashthon – she should have covered one of Diana’s hits, and something uptempo and fun. (Agreed with her excitement about getting to work with Rodney Jerkins!!)
8. Karen – looked GREAT! But she made me think that she was an actress..who sometimes sang…
9. Scott – yawn. Limited vocals, drowned out by the background vocalists in the middle. It seemed like he was “play-acting” the role of a country music singer. Check out his eyes next time you see him…anybody else see Clay Aiken in those eyes?
10. Jacob – somewhat controlled in the beginning (but boring), somewhat unrestrained for the second half (and too much for me). I’m just not in Lusk with Jacob…
11. Casey – What a mess! I actually didn’t see his performance until later because I had switched over to Survivor. So I watched him later on youtube. Blech!!
12. Stefano – what the hell did they DO to you? It’s like the AI people put him through a meat-grinder and there was no Stefano left, just some strange facsimile. First, the disco-fied bastardization of a classic ballad. Then the mannered vocals, the over-done/over-produced performance, his eyes closed for almost all of the song… I want my Stefano back!!
13. Paul. WTF?? :eek:

Thia. I love this girl so much that it doesn't even annoy me that she's never heard of Charlie Chaplin.

It's Chapman.

:P

He should have done Feelin On Yo Booty.

That is a very lovey song. :lol:

haribobo
03-10-2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/entertainment/american_idol_news/rachel-zevita-good-day-ny-20110309

Rachel Zevita :)

rfisher
03-10-2011, 11:48 AM
LAMO at how people rank the singers based on either the song (I hate that song therefore I hate that performance) or the song genre (I hate country so by default Scot can't sing)

I suspect many here will be tearing their clothing and wailing at the end of the season based on who ends up in the top 3.

Aceon6
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Clear non winners for me last night... Paul made my ears bleed and Ashley "cuted" me to death. Boring power ballad girls Ashthon, Thia and Karen are going to split votes, though. Any of the 5 have my permission to exit through the trap door.

merrywidow
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
James lost his tail but apparently Pia found it. I pretty much enjoyed last nights performances & my top 3: Casey, Scott & James. My bottom 3: Paul, Ashthon, Jacob.

taf2002
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
LAMO at how people rank the singers based on either the song (I hate that song therefore I hate that performance) or the song genre (I hate country so by default Scot can't sing)

I suspect many here will be tearing their clothing and wailing at the end of the season based on who ends up in the top 3.

I'm guilty of that with country. But in my defense I have some Rascal Flatts, some Zac Brown band, some Carrie, & some old Kenny Rogers, among others on my MP3 (& I adore Patsy Cline). So I'm not totally against all country. But Scott looks so goofy in the 1st place & then he makes those faces & also once I saw the comparison to George W, that's all I can see when he sings. Plus I don't like the low voice, it's not melodic to me. So I doubt he could wow me no matter what he does.

And sometimes when singers choose songs I hate, I go really? Out of the songlist you chose that? Pia has a gorgeous voice but no way would I buy last night's song. A dreary ballad that wasn't done well by any singer.

rfisher
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I agree about the ballads. It has to be spectacular to be good.

The dialidol sample would indicate quirky isn't flying with much of the voting public. It's going to be interesting to see how their results compare with the official results as a test sample.

PeterG
03-10-2011, 04:46 PM

My comments might seem like I'm judging the singer by the song, but my rankings are based on performance. For the comment after the ranking, I briefly state the one thing that stood out most to me about the singer and/or performance. I could do 300 words per singer, but choose to give you the abbreviated version. :D

P.S. I also try to never say something another poster has already said. Threads become real boring after you've heard x number of people say, "Paul is weird" or "power ballads are boring".

JILEN
03-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Peter G. You pretty much did my assessment of last night's performances. For me it was kind of underwhelming considering these years supposedly big talents. For the first time I voted and voted Thia only because I want her to be given another chance after the "Smile" fiasco, we all know she can do much better, we'll see what she shows us next. I hate the song Umbrella just like most peeps hate I believe I can fly but I love the Naima spin on it.

Ok Pia, All By Myself? I thought we had dumped this one in this year's "Should Be Retired" AI song? I dont care what kind of spin they put on it but Summertime, And I'm Tellin You, Respect, Midnight Train To Georgia, Black Velvet, Turn The Beat Around, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Hallelujah, Against All Odds should be banned from IA by now?

Allskate
03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree about the ballads. It has to be spectacular to be good.

The dialidol sample would indicate quirky isn't flying with much of the voting public. It's going to be interesting to see how their results compare with the official results as a test sample.

The problem with doing slow ballads is not simply that they are boring. They make it easier to notice weak or pitchy vocals. Karen and Ashthon were prime examples of that. Plus, IMO, if you've got a number of mediocre singers, I'd rather the boring ones go first.

According to DialIdol, there are nine people in danger of going home. Statistically, they're very close, so I'm not sure DialIdol says much about the quirky at this point in the competition. At least for last week, though, it was the raw scores, not the DialIdol scores, that were the best indicators of results. They got a couple of people flat out wrong with the dialidol predictions, but the top five of both the guys and girls for raw scores made it into the top ten. If the raw scores are accurate for this week, apparently quirky is fine. I think what happens is that, at the beginning, quirky drives enough people to vote to keep them in the competition, but then, as the numbers of contestants drop, the appeal of the quirky isn't broad enough to keep them in the competition. Siobhan is an example of that. I'd like the quirkier contestants to make it long enough to be on the tour, get some exposure, and appeal to a good indie label that will hook them up with good songwriters and producers.

taf2002
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I guess we need to quit expecting the Idol judges to have any useful critique but what surprises me is those so-called experts who were helping the contestants this week were of really no help at all. Why didn't someone say to Ashthon that singing Diana Ross is ok but choosing that obscure song that doesn't show off your voice is suicide? How could they have given thoses messes of arrangements to Stephano & Thia? For that matter, why didn't they tell Thia NOT to sing that song? I like Smile ok but it was boring & not relevant, & made her seem like she can't sing/choose anything current.

I did hear someone tell Stephano to open his eyes so if he chooses to ignore that advice, so be it. But no one told Jacob that his choice has been done to death, besides which the others actually sang it in key. Instead he is overpraised...same with Paul. Someone should have helped him with body language, not let him look like a spastic fool. And he should have gotten a better arrangement too.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that I was disappointed in the vocal help or lack thereof.

Rob
03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Bottom - no particular order
Naima - she tried to show performance versatility, but she lost her breath and it wasn't good singing for me
Karen - oops, this was a miss for her - nerves or she couldn't hear, but she went off quite a bit. I like her so I was disappointed for her
Ashthon - she's got the 'tude, but not the control. She had the Diana Ross Rhumba bathsheet on.

Meh - no particular order
Lauren - singing was ok, but I didn't like the song, her performance of it, or her outfit
Paul - quirky cute, and there is a market for him, but I am not that market
Thia - like her voice, someone should have changed this song out. Wish she'd have waited a season or 2, but I guess you never know when shows will be cancelled

Good - no particular order
Haley - not a country fan, but she sounded good
Stefano - good voice, a little cheese
Jacob - the best singer, but he really doesn't have to run like that so much. I think he lost his sound in the choir in the middle
Scotty - nice performance, nice voice, not home run good

Faves - in order
1. James - wow, no screaming, great voice, very controlled, great show
2. Pia - girl can sing, now can she move?
3. Casey - as cool as cool can be

algonquin
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
James - wow, no screaming, great voice, very controlled, great showJudging from his segments, it seemed that the record producers were very impressed with James. I think that this kid might have a good recording future ahead of him. He has a good rock voice and there is a market for that.